watco for the wc-22???

vivavinyl

wax on, wax (not) off....
hi all

just scored an absolute beauty wc-22 on new year's eve (happy new year btw!) for my luscious 2252b....:banana:

it does not have any chips or dents, just the odd superficial mark....really sweet shape. i want to treat the wood - is watco danish oil the way to go? i do not want to do any sanding or anything like that as it doesn't need it....totally original, un-refurbished beauty....just wanna treat the wood right!

thoughts?:scratch2:

thx
VV

It's what I use to bring the life back to old thirsty wood. Make sure you use the natural or clean Watco Danish Wood Oil.

Please share some pics of before and after?

Regards,

Ken

thanks urizen....will definitely post some pics of my baby, b4 and after...

any application tips for the watco? would be appreciated!

thanks
VV:music:

Using a dry and clean lint-free material such as t-shirt material, liberally apply to the rag and wipe with the grain, turning the rag frequently so as not to deposit dirt back into the wood. (if the surface has scratches or is extremely dirty, use 0000 steel wool instead of a rag)

Wipe off excess and let dry for an hour or so.

Repeat the process above but do not wipe off the excess. Let dry overnight, or 12 hours. Using a chamois or buffing cloth, buff the finish, again with the grain, to bring out the lustre and enhance grain depth.

Good luck!

vivavinyl said:
thanks urizen....will definitely post some pics of my baby, b4 and after...

any application tips for the watco? would be appreciated!

thanks
VV:music:

Unless you're 100% sure the case currently has an oil finish, do NOT apply Watco -- or any other finish -- on top of the existing finish. If you do it will never dry (will be sticky) and you'll end up having to refinish it anyway. :thumbsdn:

Suggestion: If there are only a few nicks or marks on the case, clean it thoroughly with Murphy's oil soap and then apply several coats of Butcher's wax. You might want to rub the case down with ultra fine steel wool -- and then tack cloth to remove residue -- before cleaning, etc. I've done this to several sets of KLH speaker cabinets (see posts on AK) and they've come out great. :thmbsp:

Note: If you are 100 percent certain the case already has an oil finish, rub the case down with ultrafine steel wool anyway to "open up" the old finish so the new oil will sink in and cure properly.

If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you my phone number so we can talk about this in greater detail.

Regards,

Doug

I have about a dozen of these WC-22s in various conditions, mostly very good or better. All I've ever used on them is lemon oil and that works fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom