Water damaged cabinets. Worth fixing?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
This is what I am up against. See the pic.

How would you fix it?

Is it worth trying to fix?

Doesnt seem that bad, but it needs at least some attention.

I am thinking fill it with some kind of putty or filler, let it dry and harden then sand.

I am not too concerned with looks. I just want it to be solid and reliable.

Attachments

• s99.jpg
    s99.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I like 2-part epoxy. Dig out the loose stuff, build a form from tape, and pour to fill.

I like 2-part epoxy. Dig out the loose stuff, build a form from tape, and pour to fill.

As in JBWeld 2-part epoxy? That stuff seems too thick to pour.

When you say "build a form from tape" you mean construct temporary walls out of the tape, right? Then fill, wait to dry, remove tape, sand.

Am I understanding this properly?

Hey,

Nearly any damage like that is repairable, large or small. Using an xacto knife and a steel ruler, cut the existing veneer at an angle, remove it. Both on the face and the top/side. Cut it back to where you feel the failed particle board is factory flush. Now you've opened up a space to work!

Using a file or sand paper, take the failing particle board back down to where it was originally. Maybe even a mm more.

Use a heat-gun and gently warm the surface. Apply a 2 component epoxy resin to the failing particle board. When the epoxy hits the bad particle board, it will liquefy, soak in, and restore the integrity of the particle board. Once cured, sand smooth.

Trim your stash of vintage walnut veneer to match the cuts you've made on the cabinet's veneer. Do the face of the cabinet first and allow the veneer to stick out above the edge. This way the veneer on the top and side of the cabinet will be tucked behind it. You can use Titebond or epoxy adhesive to glue down the veneer patches.

Arts & Crafts!

SP3500056.jpg

SP3500061.jpg

SP3500069.jpg

SP3500079.jpg

Biggles

Which product do you recommend?

GD70, another member whose threads you should flip through for a better representation on how to do this, uses Z-Epoxy. It's widely available and won't break the bank. I have access (I don't pay for it) to fancy stuff that's hard to get, very expensive and I generally don't recommend it because of that.

Using a 2 component epoxy to solidify the failing particle board is key. Otherwise, all your repairs are being done on top of crap. Others have used a water based solution for this. But water based glue or whatever isn't nearly as durable, and it shrinks when it cures. This is no good either. When you put a product where you want it, you want it to be like that a day later.

Biggles

While we're on the topic - where are you guys getting the pieces of walnut veneer? Ebay?

I pick up vintage speakers that have absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever, except for veneer scrap value. Or at least close to it. Some pick up scrap furniture, anything with salvageable veneer that may be of some use. Always searching, always thinking about how to re-use.

Biggles

Back
Top Bottom