Watkins woofers- what's so special about them?

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by thedelihaus, Jun 22, 2007.

1. BrocLuno

BrocLuno AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think even Tang Band is now building dual voice coil pseudo Watkins ...

Still need reliable current source to make them work well.

I would not drive a Watkins with less than 125 WPC just for the reserve/headroom :D

2. SMCbass

SMCbass New Member

3. SMCbass

SMCbass New Member

I bought a pair of Reference Standard 1.5's with Watkins 12" dual voice-coil woofers on ebay a few months ago. One of the woofers was damaged, maybe in shipping. (Hopefully the seller didn't sell it to me that way. I didn't have any way to test them when I received them because my receiver was out for repairs.) I live close enough to Watkins Stereo to be able to get them to repair and restore them. Mr. Watkins (son) found a used WA-120 in his inventory and replaced the damaged-beyond-repair woofer with the used one, so as to keep the system as original as possible, also less expensive than using new replacement woofers. He also spent some extra time expoxying the woofers to prevent damage if they are accidentally dropped. He gave (as in no extra charge) me a few extra fuses for the speakers, and he also made up a set of very nice speaker cables at no extra cost to me. (Can't guarantee that he will do that for you.) I think he felt sorry for me because the woofer was damaged when I received it. I picked them up a few days ago. He hooked them up to his in-store system before I left. The bass was just astounding. I could feel the vibrations in my feet. I listened to a jazz trio, and the cymbals were very nice. If the recording quality is good, the woofers render an upright bass very nicely. One hears a pitch, and not just a low thump, from the upright bass. I brought them home, hooked them up to my Yamaha R-2000 receiver, and put on "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report. Lots of low-frequency synthesizer stuff, which the 1.5's handled very nicely. I'm no speaker expert, but I am a bass player, and I like what I hear from the Infinity RS 1.5 with Watkins dual voice-coil woofers very much.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    buddyiramae likes this.
  4. CharlestonCh

CharlestonCh New Member