WaxTime reissues

pmsummer

simul justus et peccator
p7250139.jpg

FYI

I bought a few WaxTime jazz reissues the other day. These are the ubiquitous "180g virgin vinyl audiophile" reissues from Europe. I've gotten similar ones before (WaxTrack, Jazz Time, etc.) of these "remastered" 1950s and 60s copyright-expired jazz LPs, with the semi-original art. I'm not sure what the source is (rumors are off of CDs, but wouldn't the CD remastering extend the copyright?), but I've always been impressed with the pressings (better than US reissues as a rule).

Anyway, WaxTime is the first one I've seen with any info on the label. There's an insert with contact info (Spain), and a catalog of their releases... INCLUDING what the original label was.

p7250140.jpg

p7250141.jpg

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/ecommerce/categories/categories.cfm?id=2611&languageId=2

Certain European lables, Waxtime being one, release these older recordings since, in Europe, these recordings are in the public domain.

Sources are not necessarily CDs and could be dub tapes, etc. Unlikely they are using master tapes.

I have some Sinatra from one of these labels since they used an early dub tape that did not have reverb that was later added by Capitol.

Jazz reissues can be hit or miss. I've got a nice LP of Chet Baker/Art Pepper "Playboys" that the OP picked up for me that sounds swell. Who knows where it was sourced.

Last edited:
Well, their poster proclaims 'Vinyls are Back!' so I definitely won't be buying any more of them.

I do agree that the pressings are quiet, but since they don't seem to have access to the masters, the CD is probably the source. In which case, I'd just get the CD.

Half Priced books has a TON of these LPs these days.

Yep, and I've been using my 40-50% off coupons to grab a few more (at $8 each).

The fact they have "bonus tracks" on the discs pretty much proves they are CD-based.

I like "vinyls." ;-)

I've picked up several of these vinyl Jazz re-issues at HPB lately. Even though they're most likely from a digital source, they still sound decent, considering the low price. I've only had to return one Bill Evans LP, because of bad surface noise. All the others were pressed on nice flat vinyl and played quiet.

Most of these 50's era Jazz titles are very difficult to find and expensive on original pressings. These re-issues are a cheap alternative to getting some of these Jazz gems on vinyl. IMO..I personally prefer playing and listening to the vinyl version to the CD of these titles. But that's just me.

Well, their poster proclaims 'Vinyls are Back!' so I definitely won't be buying any more of them.

I do agree that the pressings are quiet, but since they don't seem to have access to the masters, the CD is probably the source. In which case, I'd just get the CD.

They proclaim"virgin vinyl" but if they are indeed CD-sourced, mebbe better searching out the original "sadder but wiser" non-virgins?

They proclaim"virgin vinyl" but if they are indeed CD-sourced, mebbe better searching out the original "sadder but wiser" non-virgins?

If it has been remastered (and if you buy reissues from Blue Note, etc. it probably is the case), then it has already been digitized. Some LPs are extremely difficult to find in "sadder but wiser" shape (for example, Money Jungle by Ellington / Roach / Mingus).

-D

I had the misfortune of buying a Sun Ra reissue at HPB on the European Doxy label. It was a muffled sounding piece of digitized crap, a complete waste of virgin vinyl. I would stay away from all of those reissues, but I'm really picky about sound (I couldn't care less how the cover looks and how much the vinyl weighs, if it sounds like a CD anyway). Anyway, United Artists did a reissue of Money Jungle in the 70's, and it sounds terrific, one of my favorites all time.

Just noticed also that many of the reissues in that catalog are very easy to find. Errol Garner's "Concert By The Sea" is probably in 50% of the thrift stores in the USA. Sonny Rollins' "Way Out West" was re-released in true audiophile fashion (according to the label, analogue and all-tube!), I believe in the 90's on Analog Records (not sure of spelling, it's in my collection on the 3rd floor at the moment). If you can find that one, it sounds incredible.

If you've never seen an old copy of Ahmad Jamal's "At the Pershing", you've never looked through a pile of old vinyl. Point is, no need to spend big bucks on some of these crappy digital remasters when the original records are probably on the other side of the aisle in the dollar bin.

This. In spades. On a stick. With a bag of chips.

Since The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery was the first example given it's worth noting that originals, near-originals, and quality reissues of early modern jazz aren't necessarily hard to find nor expensive.

Some of you already know this:

Riverside was merged into Fantasy, and in the early '80s Fantasy released a bunch of titles as part of their "Original Jazz Classics" that included titles from other labels that had all rolled into Fantasy before Fantasy rolled into Concord today. Somewhere on the Hoffman forums there's a list.

These early '80s reissues predate the digital reissue era that began in the mid-late '80s. If you search eBay and see one with the cellophane still on it you'll learn they sold NEW for $5.98 or so. New titles were what, $8-$10 at the time?

As Concord's link above claims, they were successful. However, it doesn't reveal WHY. Fantasy accomplished something everyone since as apparently failed to grasp: selling old content, well-done, at a discount is a good idea. "OJC" even became to be known as a "label" although it wasn't -- just a logo!

Look to spend around $15 for a lightly-played copy of whatever. They sound good.

Addendum: I see on Discogs the first series stretched to 1990 so don't hold me to that "no-digital" claim. Also, there was an "OJC Reissues" more recently (2010) that I believe was for CD titles.

FYI

I bought a few WaxTime jazz reissues the other day. These are the ubiquitous "180g virgin vinyl audiophile" reissues from Europe. I've gotten similar ones before (WaxTrack, Jazz Time, etc.) of these "remastered" 1950s and 60s copyright-expired jazz LPs, with the semi-original art. I'm not sure what the source is (rumors are off of CDs, but wouldn't the CD remastering extend the copyright?), but I've always been impressed with the pressings (better than US reissues as a rule).

When it comes to copyrights, they do NOT extend country to country. What can't be released here can be over there. It's, ummm... an ugly thing, believe me.

Back
Top Bottom