Way out on a limb on MP3 quality

radiolee

Sittin' here listening to funky old blues straight from my hard drive and can't complain. I may be nuts, but it has an easy listening quality that is pretty amazing, considering all the wires it's gone through...

Running through an old Knight 6BQ5 integrated and some N.E.A.R. speakers, there is nothing harsh or irritating there. Roll-off, compression, I don't know. It just has a nice analog sort of sound. Quite detailed actually.

Anybody else notice this?

Lee

I don't notice any of what you say is happening especially with rock, rap, country, tecnho etc. Maybe with classical and Jazz it does? I have a DVD/CD player attched to my rig and my son has some CD's that I have the same songs in MP3 and going from CD to MP3 you can't tell the difference.

I listen to MP3s while in school. Ripped at 128 or over, I cannot tell the difference. Then again, the diff between analog and digital is blatent.;)
I think MP3s are cool for complicated music such as rock and stuff. Perhaps music that requires more "listening" makes a difference.
To me, cds sound compressed already. MP3s don't make them sound any worse.:)

That makes sense MD, I will also admit I don't "listen" very hard I am too busy shaking my ass and having fun ;)

Most modern pop is so processed and compressed it's hard to tell what the artifacts are unless you carefully A-B them. On jazz and acoustic music the differences become more apparent. However, mp3 files encoded at 320Kbps can sound almost indistinguishable from the PCM linear original. WMA at 160 is awful close too, I use that a lot for ripping CD's to my HD for puter listening, as half the time I've left the CD's in the car and don't feel like dragging my butt out to fetch them :D Of course, that's only when I'm sitting on my duff wasting time on the 'net.

PC audio chain is M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 into a chip-amp Kenwood KR-A20 Rx (okay as long as you stay WELL away from clipping, else it gets REAL nasty REL quick) and Realistic Minimus 7W's (the wood Minimus 7, scored them at a junk shop for $30 IIRC...excellent minis and sleepers IMHO) Also Sony MDR-V600 cans for when my wife is sleeping. :)

Once I can get a better vintage Pioneer Rx or separate integrated and tuner my old faithful SX-450 will replace the Kenwood, which will go byebye. :)

Todd P.

Depends alot on the encoder used and the bitrate. Some of the MP3 I have are awful where the stuff I have encoded with LAME are very good. I don't think MP3 is transparent at 128 I have to use 256 VBR not to hear artifacts. On the computer they are fine on my big rig you can easilly hear artifacts.

Rob2:)

Thor

Thats a mental picture we can all do without. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom