WC-22 wood case dimensions

Smwilli

I made this at the request of another member in another thread, but I thought it would be best appreciated here. These measurements are a little more detailed than those I found when I was searching to make sure I didn't duplicate someone elses post. I hope this helps somebody out and if there are any questions, please ask!

Attachments

• MarantzWC-22.jpg
    MarantzWC-22.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,705
Last edited:
Huh, took 2 years, but at least somebody found this useful. I was starting to think no-one saw it....

Huh, took 2 years, but at least somebody found this useful. I was starting to think no-one saw it....

I found it via a google search today. It will be much cheaper to make one than to pay $250 for one. That's a ridiculous price IMO.

Finally!

You (and Google search) save my life because I just looking for something like this. I'll gone to make one for my 2238. Prices for W-122/22 are arround 200€ (in Europe) + shipping costs, and that's ridiculous. What about inside dimensions of the cabinet?

Last edited:
Typically in cabinet work, inside dimensions are calculated by the builder. In this case: Subtract 3/4 inch X 2= 1.5 inches from the height and the width to calculate the inside dimension. I am assuming that you will be using 19mm thickness material (roughly equal to 3/4 inch). To convert inches to mm, multiply dimension in inches X 25.4 If you would like me to measure my cabinet's actual inside dimension, please PM me, and that will remind me to send it to you tomorrow and post here if the OP has no objection.

The inside dimension of mine is 17" X 5" (it measures almost 1/32 over 5 inches at the back of the cabinet). Should be close enough for government work... :)
There is also a cut-out on the bottom of the cab for airflow.

Yesterday I measured my newcomer, 2238. I tried to be as accurate as possible, and so to get to internal measures of the wooden casing. Results are in the attached picture.

Attachments

• 2238_dimensions.jpg
    2238_dimensions.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 722
Greetings Bigvoevda,
I'm curous to see how the work came out with your cabinet naker. Thinking of using the information above for my 2238b. Pictures would be great! Thanks.

Any progress on this? Thinking of building one myself for my 2270.

Have you looked into the particular wood to use? Home Depot shows a walnut veneer plywood in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 in thicknesses. One of the earlier replies mentions 3/4 but that seems very thick. I don't have a Marantz cabinet for comparison, but my Pioneer cabinets are about 5/16 thick.

Also, have you given any thought for the wood edge that shows by the face plate? Is that normally veneered?

Lastly, other than Ebay has anyone found a reliable source for the metal grill?

I bought a case from Pathewings last May, total came to around $250 USD. It was around $50 for shipping from Germany. Well worth it in my opinion, it's a beautiful case.

There is not top or bottom bevel on the wc22. The only bevel is at the side.

Based on what is used on my 7t, 16, & 20.

Any bevel (bottom) would mean runners or something else would be needed to support the chassis at the rear of the case.

Just found out that our mutual friend received one of the German ones as a gift from a best friend for X-mas. (At first he worried a bit that it he'd prefer the stock one.......that worry is gone now as the workmanship with the finishing is spellbinding!)

I think doing custom cases should be a sport. ("Screw on and Screw off Grasshopper" is what I told Clay....he can handle it.)

I bought a case from Pathewings last May, total came to around $250 USD. It was around $50 for shipping from Germany. Well worth it in my opinion, it's a beautiful case.

That's not so bad. Good to hear someone on AK has one.

I came across another web site but alas, I didn't save it. I think he was from southern US.

Dave

I picked up six of them I love them so much. Here's my 2275 that was just freshly rebuilt from Randy "rBuckner" it is one sweet sounding and looking machine...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 303
Back
Top Bottom