We all love listening to music here, how many play it too?

Do you play an instrument?

• Nope

Votes: 37 22.3%
  • Sort of, still getting at it

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • Yep

Votes: 97 58.4%

• Total voters
I'm most accomplished on the guitar. Studied classical, played plenty acoustic, play electric lead in bands. Also some keyboards. I can get sounds out of related instruments like bass, uke, mandolin, banjo, harmonica, recorder....whatever is laying around the house.

Pretty cool that a lot of people play as well as listen. Makes sense when think about it though.

I play records... I sing and accompany myself on guitar. Though only by ear and...no, I don't play well. Others seem to like it, but I know the truth. Guitar, Mandolin, Ukulele...

I am more confident in my songwriting than my actual playing...if that makes any sense.

Drums for many years but 22 years in the Air Force and traveling I gave it up :( Now that I'm retired, I would like to take it up again.

I need to clarify my response based on options to reply - I picked up a guitar back in my 20's to encourage a youth group to express themselves vocally, but tossed it aside 30 years ago. So I did, but now I don't, but motivationally, I want to get back in the saddle. Posts here sound (not aurally) like a wide variety of skill levels, and how accomplished we are is important, but what is inside us is also important. Just like any profession, only a few are the best, but others can do it too.

Played guitar pretty much all my life until about 7 years ago when my work schedule became to unpredictable to keep gigging. So I put it down and picked up my soldering iron instead, since I can fix gear at any time.

Played guitar all my life.
Played in some bands, got into home recording.
Still have a boatload of gear.

My fire for playing went out a few years ago when I quit drinking. :(
(Go figure)

Funny you should ask....all my life I've wanted to learn to play electric guitar and finally at age 50 I'm going for it. Went to GC this week and bought an HSS Strat and Peavy Bandit 65 combo. I am going to teach myself the basics then maybe take a lessons. It's amazing what's available online to get you started.
I gotta say just holding the thing and making some noise is very exciting. It's probably better I waited till now though as I'm older and have hell allot more discipline than I did in the 80s:biggrin: cheers DG

I have played clarinet, sax, guitar, bass, drums, and keyboard at various levels of proficiency at various times. I shouldn’t sing, but it doesn’t stop me. My last gigging band broke up 20 years ago (I was the guitar player in that band). Now that I’m somewhat settled after moving, I’m trying to get back into it. I played drums for an hour earlier today.

ETA: I still have a bunch of old recording gear hanging around the house, but it’s probably time to upgrade. Not too many still recording on DTRS.

Drums and guitar here. Once my living then a weekend warrior and now in a stall due to bum thumbs.

I’ve played guitar, albeit not particularly well, for 45 years. I still pick it up pretty much every day.

Funny you should ask....all my life I've wanted to learn to play electric guitar and finally at age 50 I'm going for it. Went to GC this week and bought an HSS Strat and Peavy Bandit 65 combo. I am going to teach myself the basics then maybe take a lessons. It's amazing what's available online to get you started.
I gotta say just holding the thing and making some noise is very exciting. It's probably better I waited till now though as I'm older and have hell allot more discipline than I did in the 80s:biggrin: cheers DG

If you've got a gaming console, or your computer is fast enough, Rocksmith is worth giving a try.
Don't forget the cable if you buy used.

I retired a few years out of college. But at least I know what an instrument is supposed to sound like, not what you hear on most pop records. I am not saying they can't be very entertaining. Just not what call real.

Back
Top Bottom