We are so screwed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon guys.

It's true that many 20somethings can't read an analog clock. Mostly the blind ones, they use a talking or braille clock. It's an unsubstantiated internet fallacy that they can't read analog clocks. It's still taught in practically every school in America. Except for the schools the blind kids go to.

They may not know how to change a tire, but it's mostly because the car is not the status symbol for them that it was for us. Many don't even want to learn how to drive. One kid told me he was afraid of cops pulling him over and ruining his life. I was initially dismissive of his comment and said he was believing the news a little too much, but he came back at me by reminding me that the days of a cop "looking the other way" if he smells booze on your breath are pretty much over. He has a good point. Plus, he continued, insurance would be almost $3000 a year. I don't know if that's true, but I do remember it being expensive for me when I was 16. Plus they have Uber. This is why many of them don't care about knowing how to change a tire. Interestingly, blind kids are also not really interested in driving. :)

Just watch a few 50 and 60 somethings on that Jimmy Kimmel segment where he asks people on the street ridiculous questions. The latest one had a guy in his 60's all fired up about the need to impeach Hillary Clinton. I don't think I want that guy running a register either.

I wouldn't paint all the 50 and 60 year old people as morons because one of them is a dunderhead. Just like we can't judge every 20something by this one simpleton chick. Maybe let's just go back to bashing Bose. :)

But Manny, bashing Bose doesn't make ME feel superior, it just makes my gear feel superior.

Isn't that where this all leads us... just a simple superiority complex? I don't understand how people can achieve age without achieving self awareness. When you put a group of collective individuals into an inferior faction... that results in making the judges superior. That is what is at the heart of this, superiority for a bunch of insecure individuals. The only people who think that the younger generations are dumber than their generation are those that surround themselves with the dumb... which is likely just a result of being in a constant "family reunion".

Um yeah we're so screwed... Young people are so clueless. That's why they commonly have friends of a different race, don't hate gay people, don't feel that listening to scientists is bad, well you get the idea.
I don't want to run afoul of the rules, but you can disagree with a lifestyle and not "hate" that person. No one wants to lynch gay people. Just because I disagree with something doesn't mean I hate the person. As for science, science is wonderful, but science has also been proven wrong before. There was a time when science thought the earth was flat; weighing evidence from all sides doesn't equate to "not listening." I'll step off my soapbox.

Hell, what's school got to do with telling time on an analog clock?
I was taught how to tell time on one of those before I ever started school.

Man baking: Alexa, how many sticks of butter are in a cup?

Alexa: There are 2 sticks of butter in a cup.

Me: That information used to be printed on the package of butter. :confused:

I don't want to run afoul of the rules, but you can disagree with a lifestyle and not "hate" that person. No one wants to lynch gay people. Just because I disagree with something doesn't mean I hate the person. As for science, science is wonderful, but science has also been proven wrong before. There was a time when science thought the earth was flat; weighing evidence from all sides doesn't equate to "not listening." I'll step off my soapbox.
Actually, some people DO want to lynch gay people. Luckily most of them will die off before long. The future belongs to the young. Hopefully they can clean up the mess the old fogies have left them.

It was not "science" that thought the earth was flat, it was the scientific method that proved it wasn't. "Disagreeing with a lifestyle" is just semantics.
...and you're the benevolent, enlightened one with no hatred.

You hate bigots?

I think it is ok to hate hate. That might be the only acceptable form of hate.

It was

I think it is ok to hate hate. That might be the only acceptable form of hate.

You know.... it's us audio people that are finally going to bring all of mankind together.

When all those earbuds with real-time translation work the bugs out and and a true "babble-fish" gets into the hands of people, audio geeks will have finally made it possible to argue that cables make no difference with everyone in the world!

This whole thread:

damn-kids-get-off-my-lawn.jpg

Don't forget there is a lot more to teach - how to run a computer, for one thing. I never touched one until college. Something else has to either be streamlined or eliminated to make room for that. I'm not saying I'm happy about it but it is what it is.

Most kids entering school now have been using computers long before they begin school.

There is also Peer Pressure and Keeping up with the Jones so nobody wants to look real smart in front of their friends :)

Okay, time to put in my little bit. When did we "advance" to a state where we lampoon intelligence? I see this everywhere, worked with a couple 20 somethings who actually asked me when the Civil War was fought, and other revealing questions such as "Did America fight in World War 2?"

Actually, some people DO want to lynch gay people. Luckily most of them will die off before long. The future belongs to the young. Hopefully they can clean up the mess the old fogies have left them.

Dude, seriously? I mean......seriously? Precious few want to lynch others, gay, black or whatever. Stop with the sensationalism.

This thread has it all. Ageism. Bias. Complete lack of self-scrutiny. Failure to see the big picture due to unspoken solidarity to ones chronology. Social justice warriors.

I'm 45. I ROUTINELY have the youth I work with stare in slack-jawed silence upon some of the words I use, cultural references I make, and historical asides. Bits of information that stuck easily to my gray matter when I was young........LOST on these kids. And hell, I'm not even that smart!

Now, does that make them stupid? Of course not. An encouraged kid with drive can learn ANYTHING, due to Youtube and the internet. However, I do believe that an unwillingness to learn ANYTHING that doesn't involve one's immediate interests/proximity seems to be pervasive. FAR too much electronic noise, far too little introspection, actual research, and as Tom Brennan put it, blunt, rote memorization.

While there are some societal changes that warm my heart, overall, I feel we're going in the wrong direction. There's no damned reason someone should be excused for not being able to subtract 6 from 10. That's absurd, and should not be forgiven with empty platitudes and factless excuses.

Sorry, ya'll. We should be strong enough to admit that there's some serious issues out there in regards to our collective pool of knowledge, whether it be maths, latin, basic carpentry, auto repair, manners, mores, history, on and on......

Now you're stereotyping old people and celebrating the fact that they will be dead soon. Wow! I guess we know who the real bigot is now.

It's very odd that you inject hatred of gays and racism into this topic which doesn't have anything to do with either.

BTW, nobody isn't saying that there aren't any smart young people because there are.

Last edited:
Older folks thinking a young cashier looks dumb counting cash is like younger people thinking older folks look dumb trying to operate a smart phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom