We need a new gas range- any suggestions?

The other slightly complicating issue is we will probably be moving in the next 3-5 years. I hate to spend $3000 on a range just to leave it behind. My wife says we can take it with, but what if it doesn't work in the next house. I suppose we should buy the bare minimum but that also won't help selling our house. I hate to put a piece of crap in a nice kitchen.

I looked up that Five Star site, looks like good stuff. For some reason it would not show a price after I went through the menu selections to specify the model.

For those defective control boards, there are two options to look at. First, some of the parts dealers might stock the genuine deal, or they might sell an equivalent or "rebuilt" panel at a lower cost. The second option--eBay. I have bought two parts for our GE oven and they were far cheaper than buying new replacements (which are still available).

I shattered the glass door when we moved in--the door did not get seated on the weird hinge when I reinstalled it; I heard a low "thunk" then "psssssssssssss" as thousands of pieces of tempered glass littered the tile floor. Dang it! New glass was $100+, with a lead time; used replacement was $50-ish. We also had the "Cancel/Off" button go bad on the panel. Both were purchased from two different dealers of used appliance parts. The glass I received was flawless. The control panel? It did not look so hot (a few cracks, with some tiny pieces missing), but I was able to peel the plastic overlay off of the old one and apply it to the replacement control panel. However, our plastic overlay has a slight crack--thankfully, a new one can be purchased from a parts dealer for around $12 or so.

Not that all appliances might be this lucky with available parts, but it always pays to check.

It really comes in handy during the holidays when cooking multiple items which require different temperatures than the star of the show. This is my first go round with this setup and am glad I went with the dual oven.
That's a great idea. I've only seen the "oven wall" of two full-sized ovens on top of each other.

upload_2018-1-16_16-13-51.png

Next oven we get will be a dual--I've had that same frustration while making certain dishes. The meat wants on temp, the sides another (or maybe I'm making a baked good for dessert). Yeah, I'd prefer the dual wall oven, but these fit in a 30" space. Just have to find another place to put the smaller pots, that's all.

Just so you know I really appreciated all your contributions. I think this one will win out. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-5-...s-steel-Common-30-in-Actual-29-75-in/50201531 It is not a slide in but I'm not going to pay 3x as much for a slide-in. It's a $650 range - you get what you pay for but since we won't be here 5 years from now I'm not buying top of the line. It should do what we want it to. The selling point was - it has great reviews and the grates are divided up into 3 sections so they aren't so heavy. As you know you have to take them off all the time...

Funny thing is I sorta hate to admit this but I figured out what was wrong with the Dacor. It was only heating off the broil element. I unplugged the bake element and put the meter on it, called for heat and there was 240 there so, that was it. Silly me....so I ordered a new element. Please don't beat me up too bad.

Nice one. Dual burner on top. You will love that and it's convection. Super great when baking.

Funny thing is I sorta hate to admit this but I figured out what was wrong with the Dacor. It was only heating off the broil element. I unplugged the bake element and put the meter on it, called for heat and there was 240 there so, that was it. Silly me....so I ordered a new element. Please don't beat me up too bad.
I've had that happen on ovens myself--the bake element goes bad. But...I never had one fail only after a few years. In my case, I could actually see where the element burned through.

At least it is a simple fix! Enjoy your "freshly fixed nearly new" oven. :D

Just so you know I really appreciated all your contributions. I think this one will win out. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-5-...s-steel-Common-30-in-Actual-29-75-in/50201531 It is not a slide in but I'm not going to pay 3x as much for a slide-in. It's a $650 range - you get what you pay for but since we won't be here 5 years from now I'm not buying top of the line. It should do what we want it to. The selling point was - it has great reviews and the grates are divided up into 3 sections so they aren't so heavy. As you know you have to take them off all the time...

I liked that model too. Couldn't find much wrong with it. Metal knobs not plastic. Drawer was built OK. Grates didn't slide around. The panel is plastic but most in this price range are. It has 10 digit entry, bread proofing and some other handy buttons. Only two racks but I've lived all my life with 2 racks.

Well our Jennair dual fuel downdraft slide in blew one of its boards after about 5 years. My bad luck: the boards were no longer manufactured. Loved it when it worked but 5 years in, is to soon For an appliance of this cost to not be repairable easily.

That's exactly what happened to my otherwise mint and perfectly working GE stove at a more reasonable 20+ years. It hurt to throw out a perfectly good stove because of a $50 circuit board. And well, you know the rest from my earlier post.

The biggest issue I have with new appliances is the computer boards. Just this week I had a 3 year old higher end Breville convection toaster oven stop working on me. From the research I have done I am 99% sure the board went out. At this point I am all about low tech.

Circuit boards, bane of our existence. So far I've been lucky in that the faulty boards for my HVAC system and clothes washers were both available at reasonable cost online, but I've probably jinxed myself by admitting this. Low tech is definitely more attractive although we do get spoiled with certain modern features.

Circuit boards, bane of our existence. So far I've been lucky in that the faulty boards for my HVAC system and clothes washers were both available at reasonable cost online, but I've probably jinxed myself by admitting this. Low tech is definitely more attractive although we do get spoiled with certain modern features.
I think I asked the same question about washing machines--do all of these high-tech features really make that much of a difference? We got by on washing machines with mechanical timers and a few pushbuttons for temperature and speed, and our clothes are likely just as clean on the old washers are they are with the newer. I admit I'm spoiled with a few of the small features on our oven here (which is probably 15 or more years old) like the warming burner on top, and the delayed start timer. Sure, dual ovens would be nice, dual fuel a great idea, convection baking quite handy...but I got by for decades with older ovens and still made the same food! It's like cars today, even. Try getting into many of the newest cars and you have to sit and figure out where everything is before you can even drive it off the lot; in years past, you got in and just drove it. I like new features and "toys" as much as anyone, but it almost seems things are getting too complicated now--complicated to use, complicated (if not impossible) to repair. And by impossible, I mean that a control board or something else major going wrong after a few years, which costs too much to fix (or parts no longer being available), and we're shopping for an even more expensive new replacement.

And get off my lawn. :D

This week I left a ham in the oven when I left for work and had it turn on at 4 pm so it was ready for dinner. All using 2 analog clock/timer dials on the control panel. Range was built in 1989 and everything still works. I doubt the board in the new gas range (whatever we end up getting) will last 30 years.

Maybe we should all be buying a spare board when we buy the appliance...

I've been happy with our 2 DCS ranges (30 and 36 size) for about 2 decades now.

Both are the older style with cast iron burners.

They are NOT fancy but they keep on working

kitchenStove.jpg

kitchen1.jpg
tile-07.jpg

something to consider is the ventilation. maybe I missed earlier in the thread any banter about this but the hood and fan are a very important piece of this puzzle.
a few years ago a good friend of ours who does high end appliance repair was doing a warranty replacement on a two year old Viking stove, dual fuel 6 burner. I helped him do the swap one day and bought the barely used one for short money, let's just say under $1000. the only thing wrong was a bit of the enamel in the oven had flaked away.
then we researched a proper hood and ventilation system and ended up spending 4 times as much for the hood as we had for the stove.
it's a dream come true!

BTW,

5 year warranty on the range top 1 yr. on the oven/control- does that tell you anything?.

sorry but- screw the clock/ timer/ delayed start. Just give me a analog thermostat for the oven.

Maybe we should all be buying a spare board when we buy the appliance...
Not a bad idea! :thumbsup: If not right away, at least within the first year or two while they are still available, but not at their most expensive.

With my luck, I would buy a spare board and never need it. :D

We just bought the LG 5 burner has the bluish purple inside the oven....was 799 but my buddy works there and got it for 525 otd.....wife loves it

Not a bad idea! :thumbsup: If not right away, at least within the first year or two while they are still available, but not at their most expensive.

With my luck, I would buy a spare board and never need it. :D

You could always sell it on whatever has replaced ebay by that time and make a pile to put towards your next range. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom