websites to buy bootleg vinyl

Usually when collectors talk about bootlegs, they're referring to unauthorized live recordings, but there are other kinds of unauthorized releases also referred to as bootlegs:
1) Small record pressing (and cassette manufacturing) plants operated both legit and bootleg businesses. During the day, they'd manufacture legitimate recordings, at night they'd make illegal reproductions of major label product and sell them through various channels and sometimes they'd end up in record stores right next to legit product. If you've ever bought a new record and the colors on the cover were slightly off or it had a plain inner sleeve, you might have bought one.
2) The labels and "legit" pressing plants weren't above sketchy behavior either. A common scam was overpressing a release. They'd make more records than they'd officially order and the artist only got paid at the rate for the number ordered, not the number actually sold. Sometimes overpressing happened at the plant on the orders of an enterprising production manager and got sold through less discerning channels so that both the labels and the artists were robbed.
3) Because the rights to unauthorized live recordings remained with the labels and artists, not the people who marketed them, sometimes the labels would turn around and release the better bootlegs as "official" releases, thus drying up the market for the boots. Frank Zappa had a whole series of these.
4) Sometimes when there were disputes between artists and record companies, record companies would release albums for which they had the masters, but not the contractually specified authorization from the artists to release them. This could lead to years of litigation before the artist would regain the rights.

So the discussion of the impact of bootlegs always needs a bit of context.

i go to flea markets,charity shops,records stores etc. & only found 1 to 3 boots, discogs was the best place to buy them, especially the rare ones
Back in the day, you'd go to the record store. The one that sold used records and had flyers for local punk rock shows in the window. You'd ask the kid behind the counter with the leather jacket and spiky hair if they had any "other" records and if you were a regular and he liked the cut of your jib, he'd pull out a large box from behind the counter.

NO way is discogs going to be able to enforce this. Many boots are established collectibles and are an archive of material that might otherwise never have been heard by anyone except at those who attended a specific show. You would have to get rid of half of Pink Floyd's discography on discogs as it's a lot of bootleg and unofficial pressings, especially all the colored vinyl issues that are not official

NO way is discogs going to be able to enforce this. Many boots are established collectibles and are an archive of material that might otherwise never have been heard by anyone except at those who attended a specific show. You would have to get rid of half of Pink Floyd's discography on discogs as it's a lot of bootleg and unofficial pressings, especially all the colored vinyl issues that are not official

already been enforced, majority of bootlegs on my wantslist have gone, this will be there downfall

There is quite a few of my collection that has been nixed by discogs already, from their marketplace.

Last edited:
G.WW., and this one recently are just two that comes to mind. I'd have to go back further in the emails to see what others have been "banned".

Release: Live At The Roman Colosseum (LP, Unofficial, Red)

For confidentiality reasons, we are not able to provide further details. This item will remain blocked from Discogs indefinitely.

i go to flea markets,charity shops,records stores etc. & only found 1 to 3 boots, discogs was the best place to buy them, especially the rare ones
I just found this site
http://www.psychedelicvinyl.com/bootlegs.html

I noticed the other day discogs had a boot blocked form selling that I was looking for value for someone else. So they had no current sales pricing and they didn't have past sales Low, Med and High. This is now going to be a big problem, I look to discogs for a better representation as to value than say eBay, or as a reference point. By them taking down past sales history and current history because of not selling them anymore it leave the collecting world blind. Very rare titles will not even show up in eBay completed so where is the reference point going to be?

Fortunately in discogs at this point, if it's been added to your collection you can still see Low, Med and high prices on your collection page, but that's going to be frozen if not deleted at their will latter. However for me personally I haven't looked up and added to my collection all my records. Some of them I only marked the actual record as to the price I paid and knowing the value was higher, but wouldn't need to price it until I wanted to sell it.

I think not all... there is 6 available for sale of just this version. Established boots will be hard to enforce on

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Destroyer/master/289793

I think the only enforcing is being done through Vero and that would be newer issues?
I think not all... there is 6 available for sale of just this version. Established boots will be hard to enforce on

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Destroyer/master/289793

I think the only enforcing is being done through Vero and that would be newer issues?

ye theres still a few about, but i think its only a matter of time before they get snatched up

Ron I was just thinking about starting a thread on this above in post #28. How the hell is anyone going to find value in these records? I looked up my PF Crackers and is blocked, now thats established!!!!
What about all the Counterfeits, Unofficial? are they going to be blocked?

BTW you should become a subscriber here, it's $25 and will give you access to Barter Town where you can buy and sell records.
Members post Boots, Promos and all sorts of rarities.

yes i been thinking of subing, what other benefits do u get as a subscriber ?

As a few others mentioned, Bootleg vinyl that I heard in the 70's (Hendrix, Zappa, Zep) was of such crappy quality that it wasn't enjoyable to listen to.

Where will this end with discogs? I mean really!!
Promos
Asatates
Stampers
Test Pressings
Counterfits
Unofficial pressings in other countries that continued to use records
Elvis Red Christmass Album that a couple guy's decided to press in the factory one day "Unofficially"

Non of the above was for sale at the time when new, but it's not new anymore and is a collectable....

Back
Top Bottom