Weekend getaway! Did I find buried treasure?

BilboBaggins

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
This weekend falls about half way between mine and my wife’s birthday, and with our aging parents, we find we are less and less inclined to go far and for long, just in case. So for this weekend, we chose to visit a BnB in the small city of Brockville. Brockville is quite an old city on the Ontario side of the Saint Lawrence River from Morristown NY in the Thousand Islands. There was scheduled to be an October fest event called Brews and Blues on Saturday from 11 until 11, outside. But it turned out to be a cold rainy day, and we decided we didn’t want to be sitting out in the cold dampness drinking beer, and listening to blues performed live. So we Went shopping. We started at Grizzly’s Records Store on Perth Street. Everywhere I looked, I saw records from bands I liked, and in a lot of cases, didn’t have. At the end, I walked out with 4 records including The Smiths - Meat is Murder, a really nice Technics SU-7700 integrated amp and a Pioneer SX-850.

Here I am now, back home, sitting in my living room with the Technics amp set up with a nice Hitachi unitorque direct drive turntable, and some locally made speakers from the late 70s/early 80s, and listening to the records I picked up, Starting with Bobbie Gentry’s Greatest Hits. I’m loving that divine voice and the guitar technique. Next I put on Al Green. Mmmm, so good. Finally, we were listening to The Smiths, Meat is Murder. We’re both loving it. I flip to side two and immediately, we start hearing the melodic sounds of How soon is now. The interesting thing is no where on the record cover or dust cover do they even mention How soon is now being on side 2! I immediately flip it off, turn off the amp, take up the record and place it on the main system. I know this song well, but never knew it was on that record. I never really noticed. And I love How Soon is Now! The first time I heard it, I thought cool, a new record from Pink Floyd! But it wasn’t! It completely blew me away then, and still does now. I had to hear it on the best available system, loud! And my wife was completely for it! Oh yeah! :thumbsup:

Have you ever had a moment like that? When you are hearing something on gear just to hear how the gear sounds, and you suddenly need to play it loud on the best system possible?

Do you have a story where it is all just perfect?

Edited to add more detail. Turns out my version of the Smiths cover and dust jack don’t mention How Soon is Now. The first sing on side two is indicated as Nowhere fast. Hmmm. :idea:

Last edited:
Remember that song, checked my list of music and I have the long version on CD Best...I. Don't know if it made it to tape where my copy of Meat is Murder resides. Need to check the table of contents for that particular tape.

Yes, I have the long version on CD too. I’m just thrilled that now I have a minty version on vinyl! And totally unexpected! The guys prices for the gear was quite good, so I was happy I got him to throw in the Smiths record as part of the deal. I was also considering buying The Queen is Dead, but I was too slow on the trigger and someone else grabbed it while I was thinking about it.

This weekend falls about half way between mine and my wife’s birthday, and with our aging parents, we find we are less and less inclined to go far and for long, just in case. So for this weekend, we chose to visit a BnB in the small city of Brockville. Brockville is quite an old city on the Ontario side of the Saint Lawrence River from Morristown NY in the Thousand Islands. There was scheduled to be an October fest event called Brews and Blues on Saturday from 11 until 11, outside. But it turned out to be a cold rainy day, and we decided we didn’t want to be sitting out in the cold dampness drinking beer, and listening to blues performed live. So we Went shopping. We started at Grizzly’s Records Store on Perth Street. Everywhere I looked, I saw records from bands I liked, and in a lot of cases, didn’t have. At the end, I walked out with 4 records including The Smiths - Meat is Murder, a really nice Technics SU-7700 integrated amp and a Pioneer SX-850.

Here I am now, back home, sitting in my living room with the Technics amp set up with a nice Hitachi unitorque direct drive turntable, and some locally made speakers from the late 70s/early 80s, and listening to the records I picked up, Starting with Bobbie Gentry’s Greatest Hits. I’m loving that divine voice and the guitar technique. Next I put on Al Green. Mmmm, so good. Finally, we were listening to The Smiths, Meat is Murder. We’re both loving it. I flip to side two and immediately, we start hearing the melodic sounds of How soon is now. The interesting thing is no where on the record cover or dust cover do they even mention How soon is now being on side 2! I immediately flip it off, turn off the amp, take up the record and place it on the main system. I know this song well, but never knew it was on that record. I never really noticed. And I love How Soon is Now! The first time I heard it, I thought cool, a new record from Pink Floyd! But it wasn’t! It completely blew me away then, and still does now. I had to hear it on the best available system, loud! And my wife was completely for it! Oh yeah! :thumbsup:

Have you ever had a moment like that? When you are hearing something on gear just to hear how the gear sounds, and you suddenly need to play it loud on the best system possible?

Do you have a story where it is all just perfect?

Edited to add more detail. Turns out my version of the Smiths cover and dust jack don’t mention How Soon is Now. The first sing on side two is indicated as Nowhere fast. Hmmm. :idea:
Do you have the 2011 complete remaster if there songs ? Sounds awesome.

Audiofreak71

Do you have the 2011 complete remaster if there songs ? Sounds awesome.

Audiofreak71

No, but I’ll keep an eye out for it. Last night was the first time my wife heard The Smiths other than the ones I had marked to play more frequently on iTunes. Now that she likes it, I will be playing more. This is one of the things I like about vinyl. It encourages you to play full sides and we end up hearing music we never would if just play the download.

No, but I’ll keep an eye out for it. Last night was the first time my wife heard The Smiths other than the ones I had marked to play more frequently on iTunes. Now that she likes it, I will be playing more. This is one of the things I like about vinyl. It encourages you to play full sides and we end up hearing music we never would if just play the download.
Yeah there a good group , some others I recommend are The Cure , New Order , Depeche Mode . I agree with vinyl you listen to the whole album and often fine tracks you like that might have been missed with streaming individual tracks of albums.

Audiofreak71

I never really got into Depeche Mode, but The Cure and New Order have been on my radar for a while. Boys don’t cry is one of my favourites! Radio Head is another band I didn’t know in the 80s. Discovered them in this new Millenium. There was some good music in the 80s. It is just harder to find. Raising kids starting in the late 80s took away my resources to discover.

I went to see New Order in 87 at SDSU College it was great , good memories. I hear you my first kid was in 91 and had 3 after that entered the Army in 93 so gear was put on hold for awhile .

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom