Weekend meat grinder project

mjennens

Old Guys Rule!!!
My son-in-law and I spent the day putting together an awesome home-built meat grinder. Now we're even more anxious for next hunting season.
Turn it on and watch the lights dim... It's got more guts than we'll need, one and a half HP; but hey, it won't run out of power. We're going to build a guard for the pulleys and belts and it should be ready to grind.
Maybe we'll have to get a side of beef or something else to put it to use before deer season.
Last year we used a small kitchen grinder. It took hours to do what will take a few minutes this fall. :thmbsp:
You gotta love this DIY stuff, whether it's audio or whatever!

Last edited:
Mine!

My Dad and I built one of these way back when. We drove one belt from the motor to the main pulley. Probably a 1750RPM and I think it was 1HP induction motor. it ate whatever went in. We didn't get the belt real tight and if there was a jam, it could slip a little. You'd be surprised at what slips by you and gets in there.

Tip: We had a wooden pusher to help keep things from bouncing out. We ground a lot of potatos and onions for our sausage (Swedish Potato Sausage as well as our garlic meat sausage). The potatos would like to jump out.

Tip: This is the important one. The tenon and sinew in deer tends to wrap on the shaft near the cutter. It you run a lot of meat through it. Stop and clean out the grate and cutter once in a while. You will notice the grind starts to look like its getting to be like mush. You may even be able to tell by the "sound" of the meat grinding through. It has a distinct sound in these types of grinders.

Pretty darn cool. :thmbsp: My mom used to make a lot of things with a meat grinder when I was growing up, but it was a hand-cranked one. I haven't even seen ham salad in a LONG time. :drool:

My Dad and I built one of these way back when. We drove one belt from the motor to the main pulley. Probably a 1750RPM and I think it was 1HP induction motor. it ate whatever went in. We didn't get the belt real tight and if there was a jam, it could slip a little. You'd be surprised at what slips by you and gets in there.

Tip: We had a wooden pusher to help keep things from bouncing out. We ground a lot of potatos and onions for our sausage (Swedish Potato Sausage as well as our garlic meat sausage). The potatos would like to jump out.

Tip: This is the important one. The tenon and sinew in deer tends to wrap on the shaft near the cutter. It you run a lot of meat through it. Stop and clean out the grate and cutter once in a while. You will notice the grind starts to look like its getting to be like mush. You may even be able to tell by the "sound" of the meat grinding through. It has a distinct sound in these types of grinders.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep them in mind.
Mike

I got a buddy at work that is a sausage makin fool. And he's DAMN good at it. He has a great grinder and stuffer makes Sausages that look better then the butcher. Just had some of his latest slow smoked sausage about the size of a big Hotdog. It was wonderfull.

Never got into making sausage or Deer Burger But I slice a damn nice looking piece of Jerky. The key is to put the meat on an open rack in the freezer so the cold air can get to all sides. Then freeze it until right before you can't make an indent in it with your finger. Then whip it out and with a Sharp LONG blade slice it into the thickness pieces you like.

couple times a year the Wife gets London broils on sale and I smoke a couple into Beef Jerkey with my little Chief smoker. And now that I got the son in law one we can make a much bigger batch. I made special 1/4" hardware cloth shelves for mine WORKS great.

Oh yeah, don't cha know

Damn Mike,
I just noticed you're from Bismarck....my home town.
Howdy neighbor.

The farm is at Wilton.
(the deer are in my trees, shhhhh....)
The smoke house is at the neighbors, damn fool kid didn't learn from his daddy how to use it.

Know Roger at Sheels? Brother-in-law.

Damn Mike,
I just noticed you're from Bismarck....my home town.
Howdy neighbor.

The farm is at Wilton.
(the deer are in my trees, shhhhh....)
The smoke house is at the neighbors, damn fool kid didn't learn from his daddy how to use it.

Know Roger at Sheels? Brother-in-law.

Cool Stuff!!!
So where are you now? Wilton, or is that where you grew up?
I'm not originally from ND, but ended up here via the military... that was almost 24 years ago. I kinda like it here.
Mike

Nice machine!

Put some varnish on those wooden parts so's they don't get all soaked with juice.

We're all coming over for sausage. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom