Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Picked up a nice Sony home theater receiver, STR-DN1030. New enough that supports Bluetooth, 4xHDMI, and 4K video pass thru. Snagged the remote too, plus an Akai GX-255 reel (smoker house, so it's gummed up, but should clean up OK) $70 for the pair.
20161218_160656.jpg 2016-12-19 06.39.36.jpg

Picked up a nice Sony home theater receiver, STR-DN1030. New enough that supports Bluetooth, 4xHDMI, and 4K video pass thru. Snagged the remote too, plus an Akai GX-255 reel (smoker house, so it's gummed up, but should clean up OK) $70 for the pair.

That was a value buy although the smoker part might have stopped me. Very tough to get rid of.

That was a value buy although the smoker part might have stopped me. Very tough to get rid of.
The biggest current problem is with the transport switches being slow to respond (and the stop switch not working at all). Time for a good in and out cleaning, and maybe some new motor run caps. The Sony is going to a co-worker.

I'm a smoker, but I don't smoke in the house (hate the smell of stale smoke, so does my family). Bought plenty of old gear, guitar/bass/PA and home audio, that stunk. I've always wondered if a small ozone generator with the gear in an enclosed space, like a big box, would get rid of the funk and stench.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I'm a smoker, but I don't smoke in the house (hate the smell of stale smoke, so does my family). Bought plenty of old gear, guitar/bass/PA and home audio, that stunk. I've always wondered if a small ozone generator with the gear in an enclosed space, like a big box, would get rid of the funk and stench.

Thoughts? Experiences?

The biggest issue with most electronics is that there is so much surface area from all the parts internally to clean smoke residue off. As soon as the gear heats up, you will smell smoke again. I've been the most successful with earlier mono tube amps. However, even ones I've completely rebuilt with all new passive parts and a scrubbed chassis & transformers, you could still smell smoke faintly when they'd been running awhile. The smoke had permeated into the cloth wire insulation on the transformers. So now I avoid that gear unless it is something really, really special as I mostly can't use it at home.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Ozone eats rubber pinch rollers and foam speaker surrounds, among other things.

Went to an estate sale today and picked up a really sad Realistic LAB 12B turntable for $2, as well as 5 LPs for $7--Led Zeppelin IV, Roberta Flack's Quiet Fire, a Dave Brubeck double LP, some other jazz LP, and Born to Run. No other stereo components unfortunately.

Went to an estate sale the next town over this morning. Lots of later Sony stereo gear. I found these Cambridge Soundworks M55 bookshelf speakers rated at 6 ohms and a 12 foot Monster Cable interconnect cable for $20.00 total. The speakers look hardly used. I really like the sound of the CS stuff.

2017-01-28 09.53.56.jpg

OK, I drive out into the middle of nowhere on the chance that the yard sale post which said "Estate sale.tools,surfboards,motorcycle parts" would turn up something interesting..like maybe some old Indian parts or machine tools..Well, it wasn't quite the visions dancing in my head, but not as bad as the flashbacks of disappointments I've had in the past.

There were these big old speakers..JBL L150's..hmm. Woofer surrounds gone and grills warped and dirty, but otherwise in nice shape. $20 for the pair! Then I came home and saw what they were selling for - holy moly!

Some Harley parts, a nice watch, a Corbin seat, nitrous tanks, and other good stuff..sometimes it's worth driving out an hour and a half on a chance fluke!
Most of the time though - NOT!

Well stop teasing us... Pics please, good sir!!!

OK, I drive out into the middle of nowhere on the chance that the yard sale post which said "Estate sale.tools,surfboards,motorcycle parts" would turn up something interesting..like maybe some old Indian parts or machine tools..Well, it wasn't quite the visions dancing in my head, but not as bad as the flashbacks of disappointments I've had in the past.

There were these big old speakers..JBL L150's..hmm. Woofer surrounds gone and grills warped and dirty, but otherwise in nice shape. $20 for the pair! Then I came home and saw what they were selling for - holy moly!

Some Harley parts, a nice watch, a Corbin seat, nitrous tanks, and other good stuff..sometimes it's worth driving out an hour and a half on a chance fluke!
Most of the time though - NOT!

Well stop teasing us... Pics please, good sir!!!

Too tired to screw with this stuff right now but here's some pics. Those Harley parts are stock take-offs but like new (including carb). The Goped is worth about $200 on feebay. Also a new Stuhrling divers watch..$75 minimum, Dewalt DW304P like new. One new foam learner surfboards, an electric motor driven Penn Senator 114H. Paid $220 for all of it.

Attachments

• 100_5300.jpg
    100_5300.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_5303.jpg
    100_5303.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_5306.jpg
    100_5306.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_5307.jpg
    100_5307.jpg