Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

MVC-016S.JPG
>44 sales in area today - too many to fit onto GPS.
Found this Energy (by Klipsch) Take 5.1 Surround Speaker System w/8" powered sub in excellent condition for $10.
Too nice for the workshop... or is it...?
Passed on the filth-covered Bose 901 tulip stands for $5.

Last edited:
Un-frickin-believeable. Last day of a 3 day estate sale, I spot some nice looking Maritini glasses. Pair for $2 but it's half price day, so pair for $1. Turn them over and they are Baccarat. Sheesh. Can't believe nobody bothered to look at these. I know the estate seller too, he should have known better.

I've been surprised on last day before. Last year I picked up a $150 Lalique stem for $0.75 on the last day. Can't even fathom that one. It was distinctive and should have been recognized as valuable glassware by many who passed it by.

index.php

Last edited:
20170423_121940.jpg
Spring is here, taxes are paid and the fishing is good!
Went to an estate sale, picked up a Kenwood KR-6200 receiver and a mint pair of Wharfedale W60s for $20. Helped the seller bring an item down some steps, got an extra $5 knocked off. Sold the receiver for $40 before I left my parking space to the guy whose face dropped when he walked in and saw me disconnecting it. Later got a pair of unbranded 8" 3 ways with nice walnut boxes and cane grilles, and a Bose Cinemate 1-2-3 system. That, and a glitter-filled lavalamp to add to my collection.
View attachment 914682

One more item, which could lead me to total world domination:

View attachment 914679
The X-359 Rex-Ray Vaporizer!
View attachment 914681
Unfortunately, the strongly-suggested instructions were not inside the box, so it may take some practice to get the hang of it.
Update: the smaller speakers turned out to be nothing drivers in a nice walnut veneered cabinet that was the perfect size and finish to become a stand for the W60s. They do need a recap, though; hopefully that will fix the tweeter silence.

I was on the other side of the table yesterday, selling at my condo's annual mass tag sale. I filled most of my table with general merchandise, but put a box of priced records on the table and a $3 box and a $1 box under the table. My prices were about 40-50% of record show prices, and anyone looking for records like these would have grabbed them. I only got one really serious customer, who took a number of well-priced Britfolk LPs. As he was counting out his payment, I realized I had gotten all the money in his wallet. The other guy who took records was really knowledgeable, and we talked about record shows and the market. He got some good clean $3 and $1 jazz for his fifteen bucks.

At the very end of the show, I did sell my Michael Jackson picture disc and a Dire Straits album for a young lady for a total of $16, but I didn't think she was going to turn out to be a serious customer and didn't chat with her.

I was a bit surprised none of the classic rock went; I had a number of Doors, Stones, and Pink Floyd LPs in nice condition at attractive prices. I suspect that many denizens of this board would have grabbed them, despite my not offering them at giveaway prices. I could easily do well at a record show, but I don't have enough stock to justify taking a table.

So....how do they sound?[/QUOTE]

I finally had a chance to set them up today for a critical listening session. I must say I am pleasantly surprised by their sound. To my ear they sound very crisp and clear with an open and realistic sound. Listened to Diana Krall-"Temptation", Dire Straits- "Money For Nothing" and Pink Floyd "Darkside of the Moon". The source in all cases was a Philips SACD player and all were in that format. My main go to speakers are A/D/S 810s and the sound from these is very comparable and possibly better.

I was on the other side of the table yesterday, selling at my condo's annual mass tag sale. I filled most of my table with general merchandise, but put a box of priced records on the table and a $3 box and a $1 box under the table. My prices were about 40-50% of record show prices, and anyone looking for records like these would have grabbed them. I only got one really serious customer, who took a number of well-priced Britfolk LPs. As he was counting out his payment, I realized I had gotten all the money in his wallet. The other guy who took records was really knowledgeable, and we talked about record shows and the market. He got some good clean $3 and $1 jazz for his fifteen bucks.

At the very end of the show, I did sell my Michael Jackson picture disc and a Dire Straits album for a young lady for a total of $16, but I didn't think she was going to turn out to be a serious customer and didn't chat with her.

I was a bit surprised none of the classic rock went; I had a number of Doors, Stones, and Pink Floyd LPs in nice condition at attractive prices. I suspect that many denizens of this board would have grabbed them, despite my not offering them at giveaway prices. I could easily do well at a record show, but I don't have enough stock to justify taking a table.

Everybody else was at Record Store Day!

Everybody else was at Record Store Day!

Everyone knows that RSD is a completely different market. If you want to buy two expensive reissues for $36, you go to a record store. If you want to get 6 or 8 good-sounding records for $36, you try a tag sale or record show.

Everyone knows that RSD is a completely different market. If you want to buy two expensive reissues for $36, you go to a record store. If you want to get 6 or 8 good-sounding records for $36, you try a tag sale or record show.

You are certainly not going to find a nice Doors or Stones record for $4 at a record store.

On Sat. I spotted a stack of VERY well-used/abused 70s vinyl - Stevie Wonder, Janis Joplin, etc. sitting out in the sun. Nothing was priced (ugh!) so had to ask. Turned them down when they quoted $4 and $5 each. Covers were very shelf-worn - I didn't bother to check condition of the disks, figuring their heirlooms were worth more to them than I was willing to pay.

Today's finds from a large church garage sale.
Coral BX-1001's (same speaker components as my BX-200's) in a larger ported cab. Will need a recap as tweets are subdued.
JBL J320's early 80's 3 ways. Did patches on both mids.
Hitachi SR-2000 ,early 80's, 25 w/channel. De-Oxit took care of scratchy pots and will need dial lights.
20170429_135213.jpg

Picked up the following CDs at a garage sale for a total of $2 or about .10/CD.

Beatles - Let It Be Naked (2CD)
Doobie Brothers - Best Of
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Iggy & The Stooges - Stooges
Led Zeppelin - Houses OfThe Holy
Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin Crop Circles Box Set (4CD)
Jimmy Page & The Black Crows - Live At The Greek (2CD)
Rolling Stones - Jump Back (Best Of)
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Yardbirds - Very Best Of
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Neil Young - Greatest Hits

I live in the MA and keep my eye open for legit Colonial era pieces. Scored 2 yesterday, a set of English sugar nippers and a fat-collecting gridiron. OK, everyone don't start shouting at once and try to stay calm... In all seriousness, Colonial pieces are rare to find anymore and have just disappeared. It's been several years since I've seen anything so I was pretty jazzed to grab these for $1/pr., day made. Best part was this was at the end of the day at an estate sale. These were in the workshop sitting with a bunch of rusty stuff and there is no way I was the first person to find them.

The workmanship on the gridiron is amazing. You can't see it in the pic but the rails have a half-circle cross-section so fat would run to the end and drip into the trough at the back. The trough then has a hole in one end where a plate would catch the drippings. Also, the the very ends of the handle and the forked feet have scrolls barely 1/8" across. The blacksmith that made this had some skillz and it would have been a expensive piece of kitchenware in the 1700s.

RYQBSVX.jpg

6HUQp5X.jpg

IMG_20170506_163216.jpg IMG_20170506_163237.jpg
Pioneer PL-570 from garage sale. At first test seems to function. Cover scratched but no cracks. ADC stylus missing. Vinyl woodgrain damaged in few places around outside. Deck looks good.
$15
Can they really be hundreds on bay? Unfamiliar with Pioneer decks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom