Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

So, I've kind of been away for a while. But I'm finding some amazing finds and I just has to share. The first pick of many. My favorite find of the weekend:
IMG_2755.JPG

Autographed by the entire band during promotions for their 1st album(arguably, one of their best) and included in a lot of the most amazing records. His brother is a DJ for one of the major radio stations of Chattanooga. I won't say but the picture gives it away. I'm going back for more this weekend. Found 3 Westwood Radio Presents concerts. Each is 3 records and of course their mint since they were played once, maybe twice. I'll post pictures later.

So, I've kind of been away for a while. But I'm finding some amazing finds and I just has to share. The first pick of many. My favorite find of the weekend:
View attachment 931930

Autographed by the entire band during promotions for their 1st album(arguably, one of their best) and included in a lot of the most amazing records. His brother is a DJ for one of the major radio stations of Chattanooga. I won't say but the picture gives it away. I'm going back for more this weekend. Found 3 Westwood Radio Presents concerts. Each is 3 records and of course their mint since they were played once, maybe twice. I'll post pictures later.
That's a dream score for me. I love those Westwood One concerts (and KBFH, etc.).

Found in a thrift store today, a Comet 9 radio. Completely new in box, probably from 1958.

20170517_101414.jpg

They had a bunch of other transistor and tube portables but I think this was the score of the bunch.

There was also a cool Sony shortwave but it was a lot pricier so I left it.

20170517_102158.jpg

Here's the Westwood Radio 1 Presents(John Cougar Mellancamp & Stevie Nicks) as well as a Rolling Stones Live Record. I think I may be missing the 2nd album on that one though. Have yet to listen to any of them. Still listening to the other titles.

Attachments

• IMG_2757.JPG
    IMG_2757.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 50
So this one is Dire Straits Live From Wembley 1985. 3 LP set. All perfect. I'm on cloud 9 right now. This is one of my favorite bands and I'm always looking for more releases from them, live or otherwise. Did some research and 3 of the songs were edited into the concert from their album Alchemy by westwood one studios. Why? I have no idea, maybe as filler....seems odd since you would think they would be able to get it all from ONE live concert but... Time constraints perhaps.

Regardless, it sounds great on vinyl. Now I need to go back and see if I can find the box.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.JPG
    IMG_2761.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 36
What I love about those recordings is that they are generally much less "fussed with" than actual live albums.

3 of the songs were edited into the concert from their album Alchemy by westwood one studios. Why? I have no idea, maybe as filler

Perhaps there was an issue with the master recording of the concert intended for broadcast. Or perhaps Knopfler wasn't happy with the performances.

Found in a thrift store today, a Comet 9 radio. Completely new in box, probably from 1958.

View attachment 932026

They had a bunch of other transistor and tube portables but I think this was the score of the bunch.

There was also a cool Sony shortwave but it was a lot pricier so I left it.

View attachment 932027

I might have to go back for that Sony shortwave radio. Reports and value on it seem pretty good.

Meanwhile, the radio I did buy looks pretty nice too. It was made in Canada by Commodore. :)

I'm also listening to the Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells A Story album I bought there.

20170517_214006.jpg 20170517_213448.jpg

I might have to go back for that Sony shortwave radio. Reports and value on it seem pretty good.

Meanwhile, the radio I did buy looks pretty nice too. It was made in Canada by Commodore. :)

I'm also listening to the Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells A Story album I bought there.

View attachment 932530 View attachment 932531

That's an album that I still love...although given the number of times I've played it, I should be sick to death of it! By the way: the counter-weight on your Dual 1019 is backwards...

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I was trolling for estate sales in Craigslist as I always do every Thursday. And then I saw it, the vaguely worded, ESTATE SALE with records in the description. These can be one of 2 sales....1. A guy wants to get rid of some of his stuff and since he thinks his place is an 'Estate' then its an 'Estate Sale'. Which we all know is not the case...or 2. A guy has to deal with a passed family members belongings.

It was the second and this guy had records everywhere. The more I looked, the more I found. So I ask him "What are you going to deal with all of these records after the sale?"

And he says defeated 'I have no idea...donate them i guess.' So I ask him "What do ya want on all of them?"

And he says $100 - Told him he had a deal. I'm still going thru them all and I really should have taken a picture. I lost count on how many exactly but combining the 78s and 45s there must have 4,000-5,000 records. They filled up a Toyota Sienna van including the passenger seat and a Jeep Patriot. Oh....and did you know records are heavy? Damn near broke my back hauling them out of the cars.

A huge amount of them are for the crafters/recyclers on ebay as the records were trashed or the cover was trashed. These records were not treated kindly. That being said. Ive found my $100 and then some so far. First album I flipped was LOGOS a Christian Rock band from the 70s that apparently is sought after as it sold rather quickly as I more than likely price it too low(I am rather clueless with selling records, just starting to learn.) I know about Popsike. A great site.

I've found several dozen to add to my ever growing collection and sold many more.

I haven't been looking in thrifts much lately, but I did find these two babies. I love the contrast between old school New Orleans blues and Delta blues with 90s electronic. I like the top one, but haven't yet listened to the second. I suspect it will be going into my do not keep pile.
IMG_3642.JPG

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I was trolling for estate sales in Craigslist as I always do every Thursday. And then I saw it, the vaguely worded, ESTATE SALE with records in the description. These can be one of 2 sales....1. A guy wants to get rid of some of his stuff and since he thinks his place is an 'Estate' then its an 'Estate Sale'. Which we all know is not the case...or 2. A guy has to deal with a passed family members belongings.

It was the second and this guy had records everywhere. The more I looked, the more I found.

There were some strange people who went to junk sales, bought every record, and took them home and never played them. What happens when these characters die? I think we have found the answer....

There were some strange people who went to junk sales, bought every record, and took them home and never played them. What happens when these characters die? I think we have found the answer....
How do you know they never played them?

How do you know they never played them?

Usually, these guys didn't have a turntable and the records are still in the bag they bought them home in.

Several record dealers I know have seen such accumulations. They usually turn them down, because so much of them are junk.

Scored an ugly/beautiful pair of Rogers Sound Labs 3300s today. The cabinets are scratched and chipped, but serviceable from the front. They sound pretty decent, albeit a bit forward on Paul Desmond's sax on "Take 5", with good bass extension (their target sound was the then-popular L-100).

Time to clean the pots, replace the caps and binding posts, and get to sanding.
20170520_115126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom