Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Today I grabbed a Pioneer PL-518, and a SX-780, and a Pair of Audio Source floor standing speakers. I paid $200, but I think I did good. Has anybody heard of Audio Source speakers? Heavy, poly cones, they look well built, except vinyl veneer on cabs. Ill post pics of both scores in a day or so. Also bought a Pioneer KP-500 Super Tuner FM/Cassette deck for $3. And it works!!! Was a great 2 days.

Nothing has been cleaned up since I bought them because I have company for a week, so everything is on hold. This morning I grabbed a Sansui 210, and a pair of small Advents for $12 to finish off the weekend! Was a great audio weekend!!:banana:
Did you mention the Marantz table? I missed it. People pay stupid money for those.

Yes, I grabbed that Thursday with the 2250B and the Scott speakers. This is the 2nd 6300 I have owned. The last one I had for about 7 years, then I sold it about a year ago. And yes, big $$$ for them This one is missing a foot but I have a line on one....... I hope.

Some good purchases at a local estate sale.

Quad setup - $40:
303 Amplifier
33 Preamplifier
FM3 Tuner

Adscom Delta 270 CD Player with remote - $25
Denon DRM-700A 3 Head cassette - $15
Music Fidelity B200 Amplifier - $60

20170715_204640.jpg 20170715_204331.jpg Yesterday I found a Sony STR 6055 and a pair of Harman Kardon HK40 speakers. It was owned by an elderly gentleman who had just passed away at 87. The receiver works, I deoxed the pots, main tuner light out. The speakers seem fine. I was going to give this to my father in law. I paid only $20.

Attachments

• 20170715_204640.jpg
    20170715_204640.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3
I LOVE the old TVs! The style is so dated that it's impossible for them to NOT increase in value somewhat.
I'm sure lots of people would get a kick out of having one or two, but if you're that person who's filling his closets with these things, you may want to see if your medical insurance covers shrinkage, if I'm not being too subtle.

I just picked up a nice Marantz 2235B at an estate sale for $100. Funny part is, they turned down $125 the day before!
*Dag*
So where does everyone find these great estate sales anyway?
Back in the old days, we would look thru the Garage & Estate Sale section of what they called a "Newspaper" on Friday, circle the ones that sounded good, and plan our route to hit them all using an enormous piece of paper with streets & landmarks on it. Those were called maps.
Saturday morning, we'd fill a cooler with beer & snacks, stuff our pockets with folding money they called cash, grab the map & cooler, and make a day of it.
We'd come home with all manner of whirly-gigs and kanooten shim-sham strapped to the car like The Beverly Hillbillies, bragging about who got the best deals.
Now everyone looks up the true value of everything online (so no more hidden treasures for $3.) and just puts it on Craigslist.
The only garage sales I've seen in the last ten years were lawns covered in a blanket of baby clothes, awash in the primary colors of koolaid stains and Fisher Price plastic.
Even the estate sales have moved to craigslist and boosted their prices to match antique stores.
It's so sad.
I really miss those summer weekends driving with the windows down under blue skies with fluffy clouds with friends, sipping beer and imagining what treasures I'll be able to score next with the last $12.45 in my pocket.

*Dag*
So where does everyone find these great estate sales anyway?

About the only time I find interesting audio at an estate/garage sale is when the equipment hasn't been listed or pictured in an ad. There are too many others around here scouring the online ads to make it worth my time. Guess I'm too lazy (and already have a basement full of audio equipment I need to unload) to stand in line in hopes of getting to the good stuff before someone else does! That being said, I still go out most Saturday's for a couple of hours to see what I might stumble onto (managed to grab 4 large Advents in rough but working condition for $20 a couple of weeks ago:)).

Last edited:
About the only time I find interesting audio at an estate/garage sale is when the equipment hasn't been listed or pictured in an ad. There are too many others around here scouring the online ads to make it worth my time. Guess I'm too lazy (and already have a basement full of audio equipment I need to unload) to stand in line in hopes of getting to the good stuff before someone else does! ,That being said, I still go out most Saturday's for a couple of hours to see what I might stumble onto (managed to grab 4 large Advents in rough but working condition for $20 a couple of weeks ago:)).
That's it.
I'm looking up estate sales for this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom