Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Neighbors were having a moving sale and I stopped by the first day as they were setting up . The only thing I found was a 2 d cell maglite new for 75 cents. So later in the day I drive past and it looked like the entire front yard had erupted with stuff so I stopped again. Look around and there was nothing more I could live without. A day later it looks like they brought more stuff out so I stop again and am drawn to a stack of gear not there the previous day. So i see a teac rw-d200 cd recorder for $4 and a acoustic research pw 101 power conditioner $4 . Also a phoenix gold 6 zone speaker selector box $4 may come in handy one day . So I pay her and I'm leaving and sitting around the corner on top of a trash can is a technics SU-V8 integrated amp for $1 . That thing is a heavy beast. Everything seems to work .I've just listened to the Technics thru headphones but am about to hook it up to speakers . All of this for $13 .Yesterday at another sale there was a kenwood R-SE7 micro receiver sitting on the free pile .Hooked it up to my Frazier super midgets and that little thing rocks The audio gods must be smiling on me.

Wow, sounds like quite a collection! I only have about 7 - most of them inherited from family members who have passed on. Grandpa's '54 SuperSpeed is my daily shaver. The new toggle was a lucky find, to be sure. It came from a small rural estate auction where made-in-china angel figurines were getting lots of bids, but the Gillette garnered minimal interest (3 bids total).

I suppose this belongs in this thread, ~99% of these were yard/estate sale or flea market finds -

I got into double-edge razors a couple years before vintage ones went completely nuts. I had a few already from auction lots but not paid too much attention to them. Once I became aware of those it seemed like I started seeing them all the time, weird. It is a rabbit hole though because the next thing you notice is variants and that's what I started looking for. Then you want the original packaging, or a barber shop case. etc. But, I never found a toggle and yours is a collection capstone.

Nice thing about collecting these is I use them. They shave great and 100 blades is ~$16 mailed. Between the new & NOS vintage blades I have, I will never need to buy blades again and the cost of those is well less than a good dinner out for my wife & I. Previously I was spending that every ~2 months on multiblades. It adds up...

Don't have many pics up, here are a few -

Immediate post-WW2 Merkur Slant -

qqSGqCv.jpg

Rs0Gi3z.jpg

~1930s Hoffritz (Merkur) 4-piece travel

m1GXcSY.jpg

Gillette open-comb variants -

P2E2pFG.jpg

1904 date Gillette double-ring, superb shave, they nailed it right out of the gate -

5CcjpoL.jpg

Gillette Bostonian in chrome -

HkuWNab.jpg

Schick injectors 1930s & up, I appear to have the only green bakelite one in the world -

32Lqu4n.jpg

A couple straights -

bF1RU.jpg

1sKk1.jpg

1840s Greaves & Sons-

bD3mz34.jpg

pk0TnW9.jpg

Funny, those razors do work really well. I used one until the mid -80s. I believe my 94 yo father still uses his.

Love the Triton logo!

I suppose this belongs in this thread, ~99% of these were yard/estate sale or flea market finds -

I got into double-edge razors a couple years before vintage ones went completely nuts. I had a few already from auction lots but not paid too much attention to them. Once I became aware of those it seemed like I started seeing them all the time, weird. It is a rabbit hole though because the next thing you notice is variants and that's what I started looking for. Then you want the original packaging, or a barber shop case. etc. But, I never found a toggle and yours is a collection capstone.

Nice thing about collecting these is I use them. They shave great and 100 blades is ~$16 mailed. Between the new & NOS vintage blades I have, I will never need to buy blades again and the cost of those is well less than a good dinner out for my wife & I. Previously I was spending that every ~2 months on multiblades. It adds up...

Don't have many pics up, here are a few -

Immediate post-WW2 Merkur Slant -

qqSGqCv.jpg

Rs0Gi3z.jpg

~1930s Hoffritz (Merkur) 4-piece travel

m1GXcSY.jpg

Gillette open-comb variants -

P2E2pFG.jpg

1904 date Gillette double-ring, superb shave, they nailed it right out of the gate -

5CcjpoL.jpg

Gillette Bostonian in chrome -

HkuWNab.jpg

Schick injectors 1930s & up, I appear to have the only green bakelite one in the world -

32Lqu4n.jpg

A couple straights -

bF1RU.jpg

1sKk1.jpg

1840s Greaves & Sons-

bD3mz34.jpg

pk0TnW9.jpg

I search every flea market, thrift and antique store for safety razors and use them exclusively. I only have 3 and a spare because I treat them less like collectibles and more like the utilitarian tools they are, so nothing I have is remarkable. Just great Gillette razors from the early to mid 1900's. And I have one Wade and Butcher I got way before straight razors became cool again with the kids that I use for the occasional Sunday morning (or whenever I have 30 minutes, which isn't often) shave. The straight hasn't come out for a while because I have to send it off to be honed. I'm pretty good with a strop, but after a while only the stone can put the edge back.

My favorite double edged blades are the Feather blades from Japan. I calculate I've saved way more than I've spent in the 7 or so years since I ditched the modern and ridiculously expensive vibrating, 10 edged, bluetooth connected, razors. One Feather double edge lasts at least a month of shaves and gives as close a shave as any Gillette Ultra Mega whatever power blade can.

One does need to learn how to shave again. At first I thought they sucked because I was pressing down as hard as I would with a modern shaver. The old safety razors require a much lighter touch and you have to go a little slower.

But the Gillette Fusion 4 pack costs 17 bucks and lasts about two months, and a 50 count of Feather blades costs 15. 50 Feather blades will last me at least 2 years if not longer. The math is strong with this one.

Went out early this morning for a garage sale listing CDs. Was very pleased with what $40 bought. Many were sealed, including the Dead sets!

Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South
Beach Boys - Smiley Smile/Wild Honey (UK)
David Bowie - Young Americans
Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man (Bonus Tracks)
Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday (Bonus Tracks)
Byrds - Back Pages (Radio Sampler)
Eric Clapton - S/T
Eric Clapton - Crossroads (4CD)
Cream - Live Cream Vol. II
Derek And The Dominoes - Live At The Fillmore (2CD)
Bob Dylan - No Direction Home: The Bootleg Series, Volume 7 (2CD)
ELO - The Essential (2CD)
Jerry Garcia - Reflections (W Germany)
David Gilmour - About Face
Grateful Dead - Best Of The Grateful Dead Hour (PROMO)
Grateful Dead - Two From The Vault (2CD)
Grateful Dead - Three From The Vault (2CD)
Grateful Dead - Fillmore West 1969 (3CD + Bonus Disc)
George Harrison - Best Of
Led Zeppelin - II (Germany)
Marshall Tucker Band - Carolina Dreams
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Pink Floyd - Shine On: Selections From The Box (PROMO)
Keith Richards - Main Offender
Rolling Stones - Out Of Our Heads
Rolling Stones - Flowers
Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks (2CD)
Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup (Virgin)
Rolling Stones - Tattoo You
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Ron Wood - Gimme Some Neck
Yes - Fragile
Neil Young - Decade (2CD)
Neil Young - Mansion On The Hill (Maxi Single)
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres (PROMO)
ZZ Top - Fandango (PROMO)

Last edited:
The math is strong with this one.

Yep, 100 blades lasts ~2.5 years for me. There really should be a shaving thread somewhere. I know we aren't the only ones MannyE.

Although I don't recall the day, it was 2007 when I switched over. I was standing in line at CVS (northeast drugstore chain) and contemplating my impending Gillette Fusion purchase. (At that time IIRC it was close to $18 for 4 and I would be buying another pack in ~20 days.) Within the previous few weeks I'd won a knife lot at auction and there were several razors & NOS blades in the group. I figured, "What the heck!" put the Fusions back, grabbed the best Speed from the lot, cleaned it, and by day 3 there was no looking back. I moved from safety bar ones pretty quick after a brief dabble with single-edged & injector ones and settled on the open-comb type.

Yep, 100 blades lasts ~2.5 years for me. There really should be a shaving thread somewhere. I know we aren't the only ones MannyE.

Although I don't recall the day, it was 2007 when I switched over. I was standing in line at CVS (northeast drugstore chain) and contemplating my impending Gillette Fusion purchase. (At that time IIRC it was close to $18 for 4 and I would be buying another pack in ~20 days.) Within the previous few weeks I'd won a knife lot at auction and there were several razors & NOS blades in the group. I figured, "What the heck!" put the Fusions back, grabbed the best Speed from the lot, cleaned it, and by day 3 there was no looking back. I moved from safety bar ones pretty quick after a brief dabble with single-edged & injector ones and settled on the open-comb type.

Try keeping a shot glass full of the cheapest plastic bottle vodka you can find (or even better a small large mouth container with a top) and throw your blade in there after you shave. It extends the life of the blade. Rubbing alcohol also works but it's not as cool and probably about the same price per ounce as a 1.75 liter of Popov vodka. :) I use it for everything except drinking!

stopped at a garage sale on my way downtown. scored this lot of loot for $8, and the little gramophone is a pencil sharpener. when you turn the handle, the platter even spins. (i do not have any media in micro-78 format)

the tobacco tin is filled with nos razor blades
IMG_20170812_173900.jpg

stopped at a garage sale on my way downtown. scored this lot of loot for $8, and the little gramophone is a pencil sharpener. when you turn the handle, the platter even spins. (i do not have any media in micro-78 format)

the tobacco tin is filled with nos razor blades
View attachment 984646

Cool! I have that little gramophone sharpener as well! Now I have to find it.

Went out early this morning for a garage sale listing CDs. Was very pleased with what $40 bought. Many were sealed, including the Dead sets!

Allman Brothers Band - Idlewood South
Beach Boys - Smiley Smile/Wild Honey (UK)
David Bowie - Young Americans
Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man (Bonus Tracks)
Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday (Bonus Tracks)
Byrds - Back Pages (Radio Sampler)
Eric Clapton - S/T
Eric Clapton - Crossroads (4CD)
Cream - Live Cream Vol. II
ELO - The Essential (2CD)
Jerry Garcia - Reflections (W Germany)
David Gilmour - About Face
Grateful Dead - Best Of The Grateful Dead Hour (PROMO)
Grateful Dead - Two From The Vault (2CD)
Grateful Dead - Three From The Vault (2CD)
Grateful Dead - Fillmore West 1969 (3CD)
George Harrison - Best Of
Led Zeppelin - II (Germany)
Marshall Tucker Band - Carolina Dreams
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Pink Floyd - Shine On: Selections From The Box (PROMO)
Keith Richards - Main Offender
Rolling Stones - Out Of Our Heads
Rolling Stones - Flowers
Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks (2CD)
Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup (Virgin)
Rolling Stones - Tattoo You
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Ron Wood - Gimme Some Neck
Yes - Fragile
Neil Young - Decade (2CD)
Neil Young - Mansion On The Hill (Maxi Single)
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres (PROMO)
ZZ Top - Fandango (PROMO)

That haul would sure fill several holes in my collection.

150266148384057956742.jpg 1502661402289-1694078342.jpg

Nice thing about collecting these is I use them. They shave great and 100 blades is ~$16 mailed. Between the new & NOS vintage blades I have, I will never need to buy blades again and the cost of those is well less than a good dinner out for my wife & I. Previously I was spending that every ~2 months on m

I bought a lot of three gilletes at an estate sale last week.. I polished two of them.. I really don't know anything about these, but I need to learn.. What did I buy?

View attachment 985291 View attachment 985289

I bought a lot of three gilletes at an estate sale last week.. I polished two of them.. I really don't know anything about these, but I need to learn.. What did I buy?

Two are fat-handle Techs, 1938--1941. The other is a 1930 era New type. The Tech is a superb, "I've never shaved with a double-edge before..." razor.

I'd put the New aside until you master the Tech if you decide to try this out.

First time bidding in an online estate sale, came away with this PL-560 for $100. The feet need replacing and the dust cover has a few scratches, otherwise in excellent shape. The pitch meter is a cool little add on as well - excited to turn this into a daily driver.

There was a very clean SX-980 in the same auction that I hope went to a nice setup somewhere. Bose 901's as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom