Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Rob., Aug 17, 2013.

1. Luckyorleans

Luckyorleans AK Subscriber Subscriber

1) If it is being done by a commercial estate sale company, they do not normally take any questions and definitely will not give out prices ahead of time. If it is being run by someone personally, such as family then you can have a good shot at an answer.

2) It isn't that common and pricing should reflect that it is an "as is" "where is" sale. As noted, it isn't usually that feasible. And as suggested, if you show up with the gear to test you may be able to plug it in and see how it goes but the time that takes anything else you are interested in may be snagged. If someone is with you, make a pile for them to guard, then test after the initial snagging frenzy.

likebike23 and Windwalker like this.
  2. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

That is a great band name. "Ello Cleveland, we're Snagging Frenzy!

3. GWhitney

GWhitney GWhitney

Picked up this clean 1978 Kenwood KR-3090 26 WPC receiver this morning at a storage sale for $20.

kenwood_kr-3090.jpg

4. macgolf

macgolf "overcome by art" Subscriber

Long dry spell and just had to have this little Realistic STA-65B. Beautiful veneered case protected the insides nicely. The balance knob is a little wonky even after a Deoxit treatment. Included was a Dual CS-708Q. It's not an idler drive but has a nice Ortofon MC100 cart. $40 total.
    20170923_120040.jpg
    20170923_092812.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Mitkraft, Leland47, djwhy60 and 9 others like this.
  5. Bdbras84

Bdbras84 Active Member

That Realistic is sweet! Great score man

6. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

That Realistic looks awfully familiar. I'm sure it's a rebranded something good.

7. macgolf

Since I sold my Sony last year, my only low powered ss receiver was a germanium based Martel. Offered it to the Mrs., in case she wasn't happy with her Hitachi, but she passed! :) Literature says 36 w/channel, though that seems optimistic. Might not be my best sounding unit but loads of charm and fun.

8. tanker 200

tanker 200 Well-Known Member

I picked up a nice pair of little speakers recently, Technics SB-30's from the early 70's, They're about the size of a Minimus 7's with a full range 3" driver, a nice wood veneer cabinet, and a great sound. They're only rated for 20 watts so I didn't push them too hard but I've never seen a 3" driver move so much without any sign of distortion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. HyKlas

HyKlas AK Subscriber Subscriber

I lump my flea market and swap meet finds here as well... This pair of lamps would be the latest. Also got some pretty good records, Primus - Suck On This being my favorite...

Now I just need to find a new place for the wall art. They don't really fit there anymore...

20170924_142328.jpg

Mitkraft, ryanward84, jberger and 5 others like this.
  10. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Picked up a few records at a yard sale on Saturday. The Simon and Garfunkel Sears pressing isn't easy to find. I also found these 78 album sets that are great just for the artwork.

001.JPG 002.JPG

11. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

Got these at a yard sale yesterday. There was a big jumbled box of cables at end of driveway with a wired computer mouse on top. Noticed several HDMI cables in it plus some better grade RCA pairs too. Bought the whole box for $5. Got home and found these, a fiio Olympus headphone amp, fiio Taishan DAC, and toslink splitter at the bottom. The Olympus does not appear to be used. A pile of other useful stuff like a Linksys wifi webcam, 2.5A USB charger, USB-USB mini cables, etc.

Not bad for $5 -

[​IMG]

bigx5murf, JWinTN, tyella and 3 others like this.
  12. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

Those lamps are the bomb!

13. Luckyorleans

Very nice. Is the tip of the Ortofon MC100 in good shape - that alone would be a good buy at $40 if it is?

14. bluestime

bluestime AK Subscriber Subscriber

I bought this Silvertone Mod. 7403 stereo tube receiver at a garage sale last Friday for $20. It needs minor work on the wood case. FM need a little work and I will recap soon but it sounds fantastic. P1010001 (5).JPG

Mitkraft, Leland47, Eywadude and 4 others like this.
  15. macgolf

Don't yet have a decent way to check it out under magnification. If the cobwebs under the cover are any indication it has been some time since it saw grooves. Right now it needs dusting, some deoxit and possibly some caps as it it is stuck in hyper-drive speed. Haven't been into tt's and carts for some time but it looks like the prior owner installed it on a 1/2" cart adapter. Maybe for more weight?

20170924_204250-1.jpg

16. Luckyorleans

It came with an Ortofon so I don't think it is weight. Maybe using it as a spacer for height, but then again it is pretty well the same shape as the stock MM Ortofon.

17. dzkfraser

dzkfraser Active Member

Got these at auction for $50

Lafayette LR-3030 - pristine condition
    Garrard GT35 with a Pickering XV/15 - D750 stylus
    Criterion 2001a

20171007_141745.jpg 20171007_141850.jpg 20171007_141944.jpg

18. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Super Member

44 80s and 90s, mostly 80s, rock cassettes for a total of $10.

19. HyKlas

HyKlas AK Subscriber Subscriber

Today's pile of crap...

20171014_120703.jpg

20. GWhitney

GWhitney GWhitney

Picked up this mint pair of Cerwin-Vega LS-8s for $12 at an estate sale this morning.

rsz_cerwin-vega_ls-8_front.jpg rsz_cerwin-vega_ls-8_back.jpg

orsen likes this.