Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

I grabbed a pair of Realistic Nova 7b speakers and a cute little Realistic STA-52 receiver for $20. Totally random stop for me, and the gear wasn't out on display, but tucked behind some stuff. I asked if it was for sale and the guy said "...um, I guess so." He was getting married again, late in life, and didn't have room for the gear.

Those speakers sound pretty damn good! They may not reproduce the precision of the source with utmost accuracy, but they sure as hell capture the character of the music. I'll recap them and gift them to a buddy.

F.E. Olds cornet at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Tarnished but plays very well!

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I’m pretty sure that’s a trumpet. Good deal either way! I bought a cheap conn cornet a while back but sold it to a student a long time ago. I have a few trumpets, but I wish I had a cornet to.

I picked up this Glaser-Steers GS77 at a neighbor's tag sale on Friday. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, it'll need a complete rebuild. I've never seen one in the wild, so for $15 I took a chance.
IMG_20171013_104140824.jpg

I also grabbed this Nikko 8080 that was at a sale last week. She was asking $60 and it didn't sell because she still had it yesterday when I stopped by. We settled on $30.

It is super clean. There are 2 phono inputs, pre out, and main in which is nice. It sounds good too.

IMG_20171014_160905361.jpg

The lights look weird because the diffuser sheet behind the scale was burned and dark, I removed it temporarily.
IMG_20171014_161959270.jpg

Edit: It turns out the Nikko has a DC offset issue. If anyone seeing this can help, I have a thread in solid state:http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....lp-me-adjust-bias-on-a-nikko-sta-8080.792268/

Last edited:
I also grabbed this Nikko 8080 ... We settled on $30.

An excellent buy!

:thumbsup:

I had a Nikko 6060 as my garage amp for a time. Well built, and great performer. When I finally went to sell it I took a night shot like this one and it was gone quickly -

Nikko+sta6060.jpg

I went to my local church rummage sale they run twice a year and picked up 9 LPs and 2 CDs for $5 total. The Salty Dog is a Dutch pressing and the 2 CDs are both Rhino issues.

View attachment 1024859

Were you familiar with the McKenna Mendolson Mainline album before you bought it?

They were a local toronto blues band back in the late 60s - early 70s.

They were fundamental introduction to the blues for a lot of Toronto music fans.

Mike McKenna still plays around town.

Were you familiar with the McKenna Mendolson Mainline album before you bought it?

They were a local toronto blues band back in the late 60s - early 70s.

They were fundamental introduction to the blues for a lot of Toronto music fans.

Mike McKenna still plays around town.

No, I picked it up because it looked interesting. I haven't had a chance to clean it and spin it as yet.

I never find maiden albums:confused: nicely done.

I had to work for that 2nd Piece of Mind and the Powerslave. There were a bunch of records thrown in to a trunk, most of them being empty sleeves. I sat there for 20min trying to match loose records with the appropriate sleeves but most were scratched beyond use. Lots of what I consider good stuff as well; Ozzy, Floyd, Maiden, Zep, Zappa, etc... Still charged me $5 a pop.

If they were cheaper, I would have brought home a bunch of sleeves too since those were all in great condition.

Picked up this Grundig Model 1088 last weekend at a garage sale. Nice guy who was selling his collection of radios. He was asking $65 but gave it to us for $50 because he said it "works like my son in law, only part-time". After a pretty good cleaning it seems to work great, and we were able to hook up a CD player to the pickup input.
DSCF2608.jpg

Spotted a Sansui 5000 at the bottom of junk at an estate sale, and my loving wife braved the cobwebs and scored it for me. Pix to come.

Edit: it turned out to be a 2000x, which was fine, because I needed the cabinet to restore my old college receiver. Other than dirty controls and a few missing button caps, this one works fine.
20171028_085156.jpg

Last edited:
$1 garage sale CD's from yesterday:

Elvis-Elvis Presley (1985 RCA)
Elvis-As Recorded at Madison Square Garden
The Outfield-Play Deep
The Outfield-Bangin'
Allman Brothers Band-The Fillmore Concert (turns out I already had this version, so I'll pass it along)
AC/DC-Razor's Edge (original issue)
Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1
Television-s/t
Foreigner-Double Vision (original issue)
Aretha Franklin-Through the Storm

Back
Top Bottom