Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Picked up two Boaton Acoustics A-150s at an estate today, second time in two months. I hesitate to call these a pair; one had the riser removed, and had been put in a location that had full-day sun, and the color mismatch is huge, as is the grain in the wood.

2017-11-18 18.17.52.jpg

They'll need a light sanding, then probably a gel stain to reduce the color difference. That, and a refoam.

Edit: Looking closer at these, I think I have one oak and one walnut veneered speaker. I suspect an underappreciated warehouse picker grabbed one of each in the original sale, and they've been that way ever since.

Last edited:
From a month or so ago, I picked up a Realistic STA-52 and a pair of Nova 7b speakers. I plan to give them to a friend who needs a system for a second room.
$5 in bulbs for the receiver and a couple bucks in caps that I had on hand for the speakers, followed by some Danish Oil, and they are good to go!

20171118_220140.jpg

20171118_114238.jpg

e6GPxFjcT3WBVyz-mqaB0oSmioadlu3wA7vO53iiP30l0QMoVdVLDGu9GFbJ4G0CSwc47Zl1ODQ9IyAX0tPPIzHrIT4u6RnIglcrZ5uxqmNDiHVDyAd6Nosq-eOa1xtkZ1N14NAc3vC3KSA00cPVfaUc-xwhUAgEeulu71Yar5JdiLgdfpT9Lybmi5hDKPx-HIDmmX3T6YbwFF_DUVM1CaEdjXTOLAU9mdBHOn8O4DrB4aUdWYn-KDSirARNVI01gO9_9BNyr_NGnDIIhqT_-ez9oYs779jb9P-cV77rg-usf883eqmBRwve-1zWBvESKyd2fg2HNzTsbDz7n6tOVRQWLBy-rADy9K63VRVa3kv38pQSstuDCi6y1iSnp4P_nJll83tQF8SYn8J2dMK0b1T6aiSTeZ3r0PL4YXrtxcZLR6BwfLiYLpvKUn27eIaeqVPTvkEMcWaGu6oPKYqGBAALPoeJ0KH5Y-VNOZGJpaGbDLQ3ywYC5nlMHYkt66nXA54UF0OspSFooVnEo62M6Syv0TdcnpNo6agrlcCbW4O36DuJHLUH8T0MP1J67rK75PIIUBe7gSr9nNMB0yehvfs-RgfCInwuEXZChebL0WV5Pzj6HvvFJLVHnxRlAXq8djkj-DvG_3fqOJYAudD7i9vjFZwP3WwFNXs=w1157-h867-no

a slightly experienced stack of gear that i picked up for 10 bucks a piece at a garage sale. The NAD 7155 receiver does not want to cooperate but the NAD 1155 preamp and NAD 2155 power amp seem to work just fine. also the adcom gtp-400 preamp/tuner just needs a bit of deoxit and it is good to go.

Missed a garage sale on cl and saw these in the pictures. Figured wth I’ll drop em an email. The gods smiled and somehow they didn’t sell!short of it is $120.00.
Boom.
53571A81-7935-4D81-B088-AAA756807D8D.jpeg
23810E0C-6DB0-42E5-B0AA-C7FFDACC1D16.jpeg Are these too new to be the good ones or did I scroe? eBay is pretty useless as a judge as inflated as the prices are. But I’m stoked.
Thanks,
-Adam

Yes, you clearly scroed. I can't read the model number on the JBLs, but if the Suis are functional those alone are worth much more than the asking price so the JBLs are a free bonus whatever they are,

If they don't work, you can get your money back just out of the rack handles. That price was a definitive no-brainer.

As far as eBay goes, just search completed listings. That sorts out the dreamers.

Yes, you clearly scroed. I can't read the model number on the JBLs, but if the Suis are functional those alone are worth much more than the asking price so the JBLs are a free bonus whatever they are,

If they don't work, you can get your money back just out of the rack handles. That price was a definitive no-brainer.

As far as eBay goes, just search completed listings. That sorts out the dreamers.
L 112s
I'm going to have to question the price given. That all would sell in the $2000 range. $120 just seems to under priced. But that's just my opinion.

So, if all three pieces are functional, I would say he paid literally a dime on the dollar. Would you agree?
I would say less then a dime on the dollar but I don't know exactly what all are worth. The L112s have been selling for over $1000. I have a pair and know the current value.

L 112s
I'm going to have to question the price given. That all would sell in the $2000 range. $120 just seems to under priced. But that's just my opinion.
It’s true I talked him down a little and I couldn’t test it. Plugging it in and seeing the 2 lights come on.image.jpg

Picked up two Boaton Acoustics A-150s at an estate today, second time in two months. I hesitate to call these a pair; one had the riser removed, and had been put in a location that had full-day sun, and the color mismatch is huge, as is the grain in the wood.

View attachment 1048681

They'll need a light sanding, then probably a gel stain to reduce the color difference. That, and a refoam.

Edit: Looking closer at these, I think I have one oak and one walnut veneered speaker. I suspect an underappreciated warehouse picker grabbed one of each in the original sale, and they've been that way ever since.
A150's with real walnut veneer were my first grown up speakers. Bought them new in California 1987. One of them sat in the sun in my apartment two blocks from the beach in San Diego, got a little lighter than the other. I kept them for over 20 years then stupidly gave them to a cousin. Now I have a pair of A200's.:)

I would say less then a dime on the dollar but I don't know exactly what all are worth. The L112s have been selling for over $1000. I have a pair and know the current value.
I was taking into account the missing grills, etc.. I think those need some work to get into the grand range.

I was taking into account the missing grills, etc.. I think those need some work to get into the grand range.
I do have the grills but yeah there’s some snags and a little hole on the hard edge. And the cabs are a bit scuffed up. I saw some on here that the poster recovered the grills in JBL orange. Looked good. Also once I gave them some juice the surrounds started to unravel. Not surprising but they looked promising at first. I refoamed my genesis 2’s and a pair of minimus 77’s but these are a different animal. Kinda makes me nervous. Speakerworks is about a hour away in Eugene so I might go that route but I don’t want to loose the original dust caps so I’d be interested in any opinions/experiences on that.

Thanks again,
-Adam

The 128H woofer came with 2 different cone diameters. Yours appear to be the smaller 9.375" units, as opposed to the 9.625". Measure them first to make sure though.

Seems Speakerworks has 2 surrounds available for JBL 12" woofers but I have no idea if they're the appropriate thickness or roll diameter. Maybe put a feeler out to see if a local AK member would be willing to refoam them for you. That way you can get the good ones from Rick Cobb...

I've had nothing but horrible experiences with "professional" repair facilities. Just do them all myself, cheaper and the work is better. ;)

Missed a garage sale on cl and saw these in the pictures. Figured wth I’ll drop em an email. The gods smiled and somehow they didn’t sell!short of it is $120.00.
Boom.
View attachment 1051387
View attachment 1051386 Are these too new to be the good ones or did I scroe? eBay is pretty useless as a judge as inflated as the prices are. But I’m stoked.
Thanks,
-Adam
Wow! You got one hell of a deal.

Good gawd Lazarus. What a find! :thumbsup: Usually when consoles (rarely) come up around here they're Electrohomes or Monkey Wards.

Back
Top Bottom