Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Garage sale this morning. JVC 4VR-5456 Quad receiver. 100 w/ch stereo and 43 w/ch in quad. It looks like it just came out of the box-beautiful. Everything works including lights. $40. I also got a Fenwick FSC85 fishing rod to add to my collection of 140 fiberglass Fenwick rods. Also excellent condition. $10

Does it do matrix and CD4?

The only 12 footers I have are a couple FSC 120s rated at 1 - 4 lb line. I do have a 15 foot one piece Lamiglas I use for bank fishing sturgeon.

Yeah, I bet those FSC 120s are nice. Those are right up my alley. I have an old ultralight Fenwick/Woodstream 12 foot SH-1441 steelhead rod that I bought to retie. I took off all the wire guides (which was a chore with all the old rod finish), but I haven't taken the old handle off yet. It's a bit of a work in progress, but it'll be a great rod when I get it retied with Pac-Bay Minima high frame guides with titanium nitrite inserts.

I also have an old sweetheart 10 1/2 foot Lamiglas S-Glass blank that I traded for from an older friend of mine. He bought two blanks back in the day, tied one (which he still has) and had the other blank just sitting around all that time. Along with that rod, I also traded for a 12 foot Fenwick Blackhawk blank he had as well. If you are not familiar with that one, it was Fenwick's first graphite rod. The Blackhawk series was identical to the HMG in materials and construction, but it had an un-sanded (micro-layered) blank.

All three rods are perfect for the Great Lakes ultralight-style steelhead fishing I do with light line. The Blackhawk is a beautiful rod and the 12 foot fiberglass Fenwick will be a great one too once I get it tied. The 10 1/2 foot Lamiglas S-Glass is a honey of a rod though. You can land 10 pound trout on that thing with a 2 pound test leader. You can literally walk backwards while fighting a fish and not break the line. The fish just pulls and thrashes and the rod just loads up like an infallible shock absorber. It's insane.

Whenever I see old 10 1/2 foot or longer fiberglass and early graphite ultralight/steelhead/fly rods or blanks I always pick them up. Not to mention the ten brand new, still-in-the-bag 14' Hardy graphite blanks I bought for an insane $50 each a few years ago! Deal of a lifetime. I still have two of those blanks (still need to tie them) and my buddy has one tied, and one blank from that deal as well. Outstanding finesse steelhead float rods they are.

In regards to the old fiberglass stuff though, sadly, they don't get the attention they deserve. The 10-13 foot ones that were made back in the day are getting exceedingly rare around these parts and they either go for peanuts because the original owner sees them as "antiquated", or they go for insane money because of their rarity and past prestige. There's no in between. I'm always on the lookout for them though. Cheers.

Last edited:
CV VS120 tested & working
Yamaha RX-V390 tested & working
Bose 201 he said one was not working, I have yet to test.
$30

Then a FREE BBQ

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9972.JPG
    IMG_9972.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 91
Found this at a community sale preview night yesterday;
aDW.JPG
I've got one of the brushes, but not familiar with the rest of this kit. I asked the gentleman selling it about it. He shrugged and said he only used it 2 or 3 times; he didn't seem very enthusiastic about it and was only asking a few bucks for it. It's on the humid side here right now, and the LP's I've pulled out don't seem to have a static charge. Not sure how it works, or if it works, I started reading some old threads here on AK.

No - I'm not sticking my tongue in the business end and pulling the trigger.

It's been a while since I found anything good at a yard sale or thrift. Yesterday a local guy I sorta know is having a moving sale all this and next month. Wife and him are retiring and moving to Costa Rica. Last weekend it was all arts and crafts so I wasn't going to drop by yesterday on our yard sale route but thought what the hell and I'm glad I did. Picked up a Marantz 1515 receiver pretty cheap thinking of cleaning it up and flipping it for a little profit. After giving it a good cleaning and deoxit bath this thing looks and sounds great, way better than I ever thought a 15 watt amp could or should. I do need to replace the dial lights but other than that it's 100percent functioning. It'll probably end up on my desk for my laptop sound and my Technics SA323 will end up going to a new home. I never thought 15 watts could sound so good. Gonna give it a good long workout today. :)

Picked up a Marantz 1515 receiver pretty cheap thinking of cleaning it up and flipping it for a little profit. After giving it a good cleaning and deoxit bath this thing looks and sounds great, way better than I ever thought a 15 watt amp could or should. I do need to replace the dial lights but other than that it's 100percent functioning. It'll probably end up on my desk for my laptop sound and my Technics SA323 will end up going to a new home. I never thought 15 watts could sound so good. Gonna give it a good long workout today. :)
I'd be willing to bet that bench testing would reveal very similar power coming out of both those units. Marantz always rated conservatively. And of course the Marantz sounds better.

Back
Top Bottom