Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

I have a mate who advertises for records but doesn't have the passion for audio gear like l do.
He's found me some unbelievable finds over the last few years.

I got a call from a guy saying he had my number from a mate of mine.

He said he had some things he wanted to get rid of.
He rattled off a couple of things but not all the stuff that l ended up with.
He did mention the AR10 speakers.

Had to ring him back the next day to organise a visit as l was busy.
I then rang my mate who couldn't recall the guy but when l mentiond where he lived he said that was over 12 months ago.

I rang the next day and organised a visit on Saturday, l took my mate as well
I was a bit taken aback when l seen all these boxes.
My mate opened a large unmarked box and was trying to read the name on it upside down
I peered in and said Linn Sondek and my heart missed a beat
The AR speakers were sitting on the bench as clean as the day they were made.
I was so excited but trying to contain my excitement as we had to settle on a price.
He said several times he just wanted it all gone.
And it did.
I will sell a few things an split it with my mate .
I will give my mate the majority of what l sell and keep a couple of items.

Man, I would have pooed a little if I saw that Linn turntable! lol Again, what a haul! Very cool! :)

I disagree. I have a couple vintage speakers on BT that I could easily get more money for on eBay as parts, but I'd rather they stay in one piece and go to a appreciative home.

I don't like to part things out as well SiliconTi

In the deal I offered he refused he counter offered l accepted.

He was lovely guy over 70 and still working as an engineer on the road infrastructure building in Sydney.
He was only to happy for it to go to someone who could tinker with it and appreciate it .
I don't think quite a few of the items were his and used by him.
He had the Marantz system set up in his office and that hadn't been used in a long time

One garage sale was enough for me. Craigs List had a listing with a photo of a Sansui 3000A with a price tag of $25 and I needed a project so I was there at 8oclock picked, up and paid for the receiver. As I was loading it up, the lady having the sale says "I have another one in the garage I would like to get rid of but it doesn't work and I cant pick it up." The other one was a Pioneer SX 1250 and other than dust looked nearly new. She says $50 and I told her it was worth much more than that and she says "I just want it gone, how about $100" I'll take it. She says then "I have a couple big speakers I would like to get rid of too. I looked at them (pretty beat up cabs) and she says $25 each. I couldn't see drivers but said I would take them which made her happy. When I got home, I opened them up and there was a single 15 inch in each cabinet. JBL D130F. Cabs were beat but the drivers looked new. Both drivers measure 5.8 ohms.:)
The Sansui doesn't pass the dim bulb test, but that's ok with me. The Pioneer passes the the dim bulb test but one of the four output transistors is missing on the right side but the left side plays fine.
My 2nd best sale ever.:) P1010006 (3).JPG P1010005 (2).JPG P1010009 (2).JPG P1010009 (2).JPG P1010002 (5).JPG

:bowdown:
One garage sale was enough for me. Craigs List had a listing with a photo of a Sansui 3000A with a price tag of $25 and I needed a project so I was there at 8oclock picked, up and paid for the receiver. As I was loading it up, the lady having the sale says "I have another one in the garage I would like to get rid of but it doesn't work and I cant pick it up." The other one was a Pioneer SX 1250 and other than dust looked nearly new. She says $50 and I told her it was worth much more than that and she says "I just want it gone, how about $100" I'll take it. She says then "I have a couple big speakers I would like to get rid of too. I looked at them (pretty beat up cabs) and she says $25 each. I couldn't see drivers but said I would take them which made her happy. When I got home, I opened them up and there was a single 15 inch in each cabinet. JBL D130F. Cabs were beat but the drivers looked new. Both drivers measure 5.8 ohms.:)
The Sansui doesn't pass the dim bulb test, but that's ok with me. The Pioneer passes the the dim bulb test but one of the four output transistors is missing on the right side but the left side plays fine.
My 2nd best sale ever.:) View attachment 1261223 View attachment 1261227 View attachment 1261229 View attachment 1261229 View attachment 1261235
:eek2:

My 2nd best sale ever.:) View attachment 1261223 View attachment 1261227 View attachment 1261229 View attachment 1261229 View attachment 1261235

I'll give you $125! :D

20180823_172858.jpg Took a $15 gamble today.. Large homemade speaker cabinets. I could just tell that something good was hiding in there. Got home popped the backs off, Jensen st875 h222 coaxials! They are the gold version, not sure if that makes any difference in value.. They look to be in excellent condition.. Also got a pioneer pl-x50 at the same sale for $2.. It seems to have issues..

Last edited:
I picked up a 3 head sony k707es at the thrift for $15. Playback works great, sounds great, but record is very poor. I’m hoping deoxit will solve it. No pictures because it’s all black and the patio door is behind it.

Great 2 days of garage and estate pickin.. Mostly random stuff today..
Ipod 30gb with original box and accesories,
Sony 9 band ICF-4910,
Proton 320 clock radio,
some books about genetics+evolution+biology,
VG- Copy of Robert Heinlein Stranger in Strange Land(1st BC Edition) -- When I first spotted it I thought there was a chance I hit the jackpot, realized before even picking it up that it was bookclub, its in better shape than the one I already own, so its a win!
Minolta "pocket zoom" binoculars(wow when I saw last sale price), probably the best binoculars I've ever used. 7x -18 x18
powercrafter carving tool(sold on ebay almost immediately),
vintage wavy glass coricidin bottle the kind Duane Allman made famous,
Some vintage clothing including a very nice Pendleton high grade western wear western shirt..
And I ended up getting that little Pioneer turntable working(Needs belts but its alive) that I got yesterday.

Not exactly sure what this stuff is.. Anyone?

Attachments

• 20180825_103539.jpg
    20180825_103539.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 20180825_103550.jpg
    20180825_103550.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 20180825_103624.jpg
    20180825_103624.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 144
Unless someone's business is still using a 5-line key system, they're probably obsolete and worth peanuts. However, there's some high-quality parts on those boards that could prove useful for some audio project.

As the yard sale season winds down up here in western NY the audio pickings are getting slim.
As my wife and I were driving away from a street sale we came upon a lone sale along a side street.
I spotted this as we drove by.
ChineseIncenseClock.JPG
My wife got out to look at something else and I asked her what that box thing is.
The seller told us it's a Chinese incense burner. So we bought it.
Turns out it's called a Chinese incense clock. The Chinese found that standardized sized sticks of incense all burnt at the same rate, so they could be used as a timer.
The seller threw this poster in with it:
ChinesePoster.JPG

Back
Top Bottom