Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Pretty much no audio at sales this summer (save for some BPC), but got these this past weekend.

The lamp (moreso the shade) is a real mystery. I'm 99.999% sure it's not Tiffany, but it's one helluva' piece of art (towards the top, there are glass pieces that are 1-2mm wide by 5mm long). Copy or not, I can't imagine the time it took just to make it.
The shade is 18" across at the bottom, and about 15" high, about 7-8 lbs.

View media item 16410
View media item 16411

Beautiful shade! I just did a quick flip of a lamp base while on vacation earlier this month that i wish i had kept. The only reason i dumped it was due to it missing the slag glass shade like yours has. Could be a Duffner & Kimberly shade. I was told buy the guy who repairs lamps a quick tip to see if its old or not. Give the shade a quick flick of your finger. If it has some rattle, its old. The reasoning behind it was old lampmakers used a natural pine tar binder in the leaded channel that holds the glass. Over the years, it degraded and fell out which caused the individual pieces to "rattle" If it doesn't rattle, it doesnt mean its not old, it was just a quick way to tell a newer shade from a really old one.

As for the Jarts, those are going to be a task to sell. The big auction site just pulled my plastic safety tipped versions in about 10 minutes so you will have to go through a local venue.

Jarts are illegal to sell.. Im not positive, but if the buyer injures themselves with those jarts, you might be able to be held liable.. Better look into it before selling them.

Jarts are illegal to sell.. Im not positive, but if the buyer injures themselves with those jarts, you might be able to be held liable.. Better look into it before selling them.
No intent to sell the Jarts.
The boxes alone are fetching enough money from collectors to make it worthwhile.
I assume they already have the Jarts, and want to have the box to make their collection complete (how many people saved those original boxes? They must be like hen's teeth by now).

It IS legal to sell individual parts, however not legal to sell the complete assembly.

With a fair amount of effort I was able to remove the writing under the stereo/mono button with Goo Gone and then a light polish with Wenol prior to taking the photo. When it gets to an area where the writing intersects with the printed lettering, such as over the treble knob, I'll probably just work it with the Goo Gone.

In our lab, we use ethanol to remove sharpie from plastic. Works very well. We just wipe it with an ethanol-moistened paper towel. You might try some of the strongest booze you have on hand.

There was one 6v6gt, but it was one of the only ones in the box that was marked as testing weak.. I just went through and found another 30 or so to be tested. some 6v6gt pairs, 7591 pair, a few more 12au7a, 12at7, 12ax7... If all these test good, it will be quite the haul.. The telefunken ecc83/12ax7 set of 7 all tested good...

Hit the town wide yard sale today, was pretty much a bust until I hit this last yard sale and saw a pile of gear in the garage. At first glance it looked like run of the mill home theater and other BPC, but luckily I spotted the Yamaha logos. Nabbed an M65 amp and matching C65 preamp for $40.

Seem to work just fine aside from some scratchy controls; meter lights on the amp look great.

HmU2pdh.jpg

Before I start another thread over the issue, does this cap in the preamp look like it's about to pop to any of you? The top is domed while it's partner is flat.

DXqiJvH.jpg

That's a great deal for the set. I got over $400 each for the last few M60/65s I've sold.
I'd poke the top of the cap with your finger. I'd bet it's just the plastic cover rather than the actual cap that's puffed up.

They do have issues with corrosive glue and lousy solder joints.
The two pass transistors that are mounted to those heats sinks will probably have cracked solder joints and some glue corrosion (as well as the surrounding bits).
There are also two other transistors on the left front (knobs facing you) that will be wiggly and need to be reflowed. Not a bad idea to touch up the jacks on the rear either.
The plastic cased caps probably would test low and would be worth changing. Some are bipolar so keep that in mind when ordering.

The amp will likely have a bit of glue corrosion as well and is worth getting to before it goes Chernobyl. Usually just a few jumpers are affected.

Back
Top Bottom