Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

PLEASE tell me you went back and got some of this stuff....
i grabbed all these and hope to be able to return and get the Sherwood preamp and power amp that was powering this setup. also i hope that the covers for the KEF 105.4s midrange and tweeters are still there. i saw them and thought they were speakers till i picked them up. i just did not realize what they were till much later.

edit : went back and grabbed the tops to the KEFs. they were actually throwing them away.

Last edited:
Here is today's gets at estate sale..worked hard for these..waited 4 hrs for door to open at 8 am after driving a hour...enjoy IAM totally happy..

Attachments

• IMG_20190323_101052.jpg
    IMG_20190323_101052.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20190323_101104.jpg
    IMG_20190323_101104.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20190323_101142.jpg
    IMG_20190323_101142.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20190323_101120.jpg
    IMG_20190323_101120.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20190323_101126.jpg
    IMG_20190323_101126.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 209
Here is today's gets at estate sale..worked hard for these..waited 4 hrs for door to open at 8 am after driving a hour...enjoy IAM totally happy..
A couple of tips if you're planning to restore the cylinder phono. Edison used a lot of white metal which shrinks with age. If you can't turn the mandrel, don't force it. In fact take the guts out and soak the whole unit in Marvel mystery oil to loosen the old caked up oil on the main spring and help release the frozen parts. If the mandrel still doesn't turn the only way to fix it is to use heat to expand the metal until you can get it to turn again.

A couple of tips if you're planning to restore the cylinder phono. Edison used a lot of white metal which shrinks with age. If you can't turn the mandrel, don't force it. In fact take the guts out and soak the whole unit in Marvel mystery oil to loosen the old caked up oil on the main spring and help release the frozen parts. If the mandrel still doesn't turn the only way to fix it is to use heat to expand the metal until you can get it to turn again.
thank you for tips..not sure what iam going to do with just admiring it now

Picked up these LWE (Louis W. Erath) speakers from a estate sale for $7. They use a feedback correction circuit. Any idea on how to hook these up? I have a couple “expendable” receivers. Also can’t find this model anywhere. Any info appreciated.
06B84BCC-097A-44F3-8436-71F7C1B3BCA4.jpeg
55273DB2-97AD-435F-B91A-EA7C76101C62.jpeg

Picked up these LWE (Louis W. Erath) speakers from a estate sale for $7. They use a feedback correction circuit. Any idea on how to hook these up? I have a couple “expendable” receivers. Also can’t find this model anywhere. Any info appreciated.
View attachment 1457734
View attachment 1457735
Looks like you're missing the feedback control unit which would have plugged into the back. From the patent description, these speakers have a sense winding on the speaker that is then coupled through the primary of a transformer, and the secondary is fed back into the amp to provide a feedback correction to the position of the speaker. This is actually an ingenious design. You might be able to build the missing component if you can get more information. I'm certain these will also work without the feedback unit and will probably still sound pretty good.

For reference on who this guy is see https://patents.justia.com/inventor/louis-w-erath
These are probably the first speakers that employed feedback control to produce accurate bass and are noteworthy in an historical sense.

Last edited:
I was looking for something else yesterday on the internet, and happened to notice there was an estate sale about 100 yards from my dwelling. On Fridays, I normally leave for New York to go to my informal audio club at 10:30, and the sale was scheduled for 10, but of course I went. They let everybody in at 9:45, so I was good. They had a whole rack of CDs, but it was mostly opera, which I really don't favor that much. I took six CDs, mostly violin, along with two umbrellas and a book. Bill was $4 for the CDs, $4 for the umbrellas, $1 for the book. I was more pleased with the umbrellas, since I was down to one half-broken one, and I hate to pay $20 in a store.

They did have an old Scott belt-drive turntable for $15, but I have no interest in bottom-level equipment, I would only really consider an SL-1200 or AR, and only for flipping. I don't expect to ever seen an Oracle or a Linn at a tag sale, although you never know.

I'm no expert but that looks like some seriously rare stuff.Unless it is reproductions of course.

Last edited:
I had a girlfriend who had the dog in mint condition. She had left it in Brazil when she moved here, but brought it over when I went down with her. Super cool!

I had to walk away from a Bogen RP 230 tube tuner on Saturday because the seller wouldn't come down on the price. Included was a pair of speakers, Garrard TT and about 100 records of just junk. Too bad because i would love to have the tuner for my bedroom.

I found some classical and showtune reels (Mahler's 9th and 10th; the 9th is in Quadraphonic), plus a bulk tape eraser in case I don't like them.

I was set up at the flea market on Sunday when one of my customers asked me if I wanted to buy some records. He said a friend of his was moving to Florida and wanted to sell off his collection of 68 albums. The sale was for all of them at a dollar each for $68.00. I went to his Jeep, looked through them and pulled out my wallet. I told him they were worth more than the price and I would give him some extra cash as I sold them. He said no, all he wants is for me to give him some good deals on 45s when he stops by. Here are the cream of the lot. About half of the lot were common stock which I put in my budget boxes. The DSOTM had all the inserts.

001 (9).JPG 002.JPG 003 (5).JPG 004 (4).JPG

I was set up at the flea market on Sunday when one of my customers asked me if I wanted to buy some records. He said a friend of his was moving to Florida and wanted to sell off his collection of 68 albums. The sale was for all of them at a dollar each for $68.00. I went to his Jeep, looked through them and pulled out my wallet. I told him they were worth more than the price and I would give him some extra cash as I sold them. He said no, all he wants is for me to give him some good deals on 45s when he stops by. Here are the cream of the lot. About half of the lot were common stock which I put in my budget boxes. The DSOTM had all the inserts.

View attachment 1480493 View attachment 1480494 View attachment 1480495 View attachment 1480496
Yeah booooyeeee!

View attachment 1480493 View attachment 1480494 View attachment 1480495 View attachment 1480496

I suppose you examined the deadwax of the Led Zep II most carefully. You never know....

Back
Top Bottom