Weird Bi Amp Set Up: Would this work?

Skip060

This is kind of a strange set up but let me know if this is possible and what dangers there might be.

I have stacked NL Advents as front speakers connected to the A and B speaker bays in my Sansui AU-717. I obviously cannot connect any more speakers to this amp. However, I wanted to experiment with having a second set of rear speakers, in this case AR-2x s

So, I thought I could connect the ARs to another amp, in this case, an HK PM635 Xvi. I would feed both amps from the same analog outputs of my DAC using Y-adapters. I probably would not use the rear speakers that often only to listen to choral music.

By using a Y adapter from the DAC to the right and left inputs on each of the amplifiers would I be taking a risk of damaging either of the amps?

Also what are your general thoughts using such a set up with two different amps?

Skip, you should ask this question on "vintage solid state". I wish I could help, but the whole biamping thing has me perplexed.

It's not biamping, but what you want to do (splitting an output to two inputs with "Y" cables) is relatively common and won't cause any damage to the electronics.

It's not biamping, but what you want to do (splitting an output to two inputs with "Y" cables) is relatively common and won't cause any damage to the electronics.

+1 - you should be good with 2 amps and a Y cable from your source.

Why don't you get a Quad preamp or souroud preamp?

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks all for the advice. I tried actually y-splitter adapter (not a cable) and it works well. Whoaru99 you're right this is not biamping at all; still learning I'm afraid. Quad pre amp, ... um, yes, I need to look into that.

Back
Top Bottom