Weird Click Hijack on my Android Phone Following Alerts

Discussion in 'AK New Format' started by jasn, Oct 29, 2017.

1. jasn

jasn AK Subscriber Subscriber

Greetings. Several times over the past few weeks or so, if I log in on my phone and see an Alert, I can click on the live link to bring me to the respective thread and instead am directed to a page that congratulates me for having won a $1000 Walmart Gift Card. I can't leave the page easily, but can go back and then reclick on the Alert link and it all behaves normally.

I've suspected I have some malware on my Galaxy S8 but nothing shows up on a Malware scan.

Anyone else having this issue, or perhaps I've foolishly passed on several thousands of free merchandise?!?!?

Karmices likes this.
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

I think that was a pop-up ad, probably delivered via Javascript through one of the ad networks. So AK was probably underneath that ad, but hard to see if it took up a good portion of the screen.

3. jasn

jasn AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thx Wildcat. I'll look it over if it pops up again.

4. Karmices

Karmices AK Subscriber Subscriber

Today I started getting the pop ups when I view AK from my phone. At least 3 Wal Mart $1000 gift card ones and another about virus peotection.

jasn likes this.
  5. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

I love this one:

Screenshot_2017-11-02-08-54-57.png

6. Wildcat

I always quit a browser if I get a popup. I don't trust clicking anything at that point. Just because a button might say "cancel," for instance, is no guarantee the button doesn't do something else. If I am on a computer, I will actually go in and kill the process as opposed to closing the browser. That is harder to do on a phone, but not impossible.

I don't like that ad networks can push JavaScript out to browsers.

Bob in WI and boza like this.
  7. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Just use adblock. It will never happen.

8. Bob in WI

Bob in WI AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm going to have to try Adblock. I got a LG G6 & its a great phone but the adverts are over the top. GPS must know where I am. I'm getting ads for electrical supplies while I'm in Home Depot. The entire "push" advertising thing is pretty much a piss off.

John James likes this.
  9. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've been getting the same thing.
    I'll try as well.
    Never happens on the PC only the phone.
    Also it doesn t happen every time

Karmices and jasn like this.
  10. Wildcat

Adblock is only available as a browser now, not just an add-on. I'll pass. If it can't also block ads in apps, it does me no good.

11. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

It seems to have stopped for me. Actually before i first saw this thread:dunno:

12. Wildcat

The power of suggestion? :D

13. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻ Subscriber

Go to your settings>apps>select your browser>select 'clear all data'. That kind of just resets the browser itself to factory.

14. Wildcat

I actually get similar ads when browsing legit news sites, often when I use Flipboard (a news aggregator). Thankfully I can flip back a page and it's gone.

Personally I think ad blocking should be a part of the base OS in these phones. And like with other things in Android, have it be part of the permissions system. If an app is installed that displays ads, let the user decide if they will let ads be displayed or not; app developers would need to adapt by crippling features in the app so they can still get revenue from their "freebie" users, or offer an upgrade to a paid version. Some ads are not so bothersome (and over time, we have learned to visually tune out banner ads anyway), but when windows start popping up or video ads automatically start playing, or the ads are misleading, then we are going to have some problems...