Weird interference when vintage receiver is plugged into line out of pc...

PhantomFlame

I've been having this issue with my audio setup for a really long time and its time to finally fix it.

When the line-out from my pc is plugged into the AUX on the back of my Pioneer SX-590 (3.5 to rca) there is a constant static sound in the background and also a bleeping sound every time half a second (the bleeping stops when i move the mouse or hover over a link, etc. This cant be the reciever's or the speakers' fault as when i plug something like my phone in or if i plug my Dual 1228 in, the issue is not there.

The weird part is when i plug in my Sennheiser Urbanites or even earbuds into the line-out, then the static/bleeping is not present!?? My thinking is that maybe i need an external DAC or soundcard or something similar.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to audio so it would be of great help if someone helped me with this!

(I can post a video if that helps)

You've got ground loops with the poorly designed power supply on the laptop. Google these words: laptop ground loop power supply

You'll quickly find that you're not alone! Also use those words here at AK's search for more insights.

Quick and effective solution: Install a transformer isolator in line with the feed from the laptop's sound card output to the Pioneer. You'll easily find them at most auto stereo installers or via Amazon/eBay sorts of places online.

Cheers,

David

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough.. My pc is a tower computer, not a laptop. But still does the same this apply with a computer as it does with a laptop?

I wouldn't think my power supply is poorly built.. Yes its really old but it has worked for my gaming rig with no problems for like 5 years now. Its the Corsair HX850W if your wondering

Try using a USB port and an external DAC. They are available as low as $30. Behringer UCA0202/222.

easiest fix
pc generates all kinds of noise
and external dac,even a cheap one, will be better than your old onboard one
even just switching to a usb sound card will be better tnan what your doing

What would be the difference in sound quality between the Line-out + ground loop isolator, and an external DAC? I heard the built in DAC on your motherboard is pretty bad?

Edit: Didnt see your post before posting mine oops.. Last question: Is there any real noticable difference between a cheap noname brand dac and some fancy schitt (or equivalent) dac?

dacs do sound better the more you spend, all the way up to the diminishing returns point.
for what you have right now $100 dac including cables will astound you.
for me there is nowhere local to buy a dac ... i started with a usb sound card ... that solves your ground loop and on board dac problem
local and cheap ... and maybe even used ... look at CL in computer parts

i use dacs now ... but no instant fix for me that way

I guess I'll buy myself something in the 50$ range as i use my turntable for most of my music anyway but i still want my pc to sound good. Thank you for all your help!

Before committing to spending any money, start by changing where the equipment is plugged into the wall.

Plugging each item directly into the wall without any extension cords/outlet strips/UPS/surge suppression might also help eliminate potential sources of interference.

If using an add on sound card try physically removing and re installing the card, try another "slot" if possible. Check the PS and various ground connections inside the PC, unseat/re seat to clear corrosion from the contacts.

Try a higher quality 3.5mm/RCA cable

Ive tried putting each cable of my setup in different outlets with no effect (my room is a mess atm lol) I dont have a sound card so that doesnt apply to me. Ive tried different 3.5 to rca cables that were in the house but with no effect. How should i go on about checking the Power supply and other ground connections. Also what do you mean by re seating? Reseat the ps? Im confused :confused:

ever considered it could be a firmware/software/timing/interrupt problem, instead, and not audio hardware or electronics related?

Last edited:
Is it onboard sound or a dedicated sound card? Onboard sound(built into the motherboard) has a greater tendency to pick unwanted interference. Also, if the tower has front or top panel audio outs those can be noisy as well.

ever considered it could be a firmware/software/timing/interrupt problem, instead, and not audio hardware or electronics related?
+1 What chipset does the onboard audio use? What version of the driver are you running? Is an updated driver available?

Back
Top Bottom