Weird MC240 cage

TnT2

Hello,

This is my first post here though I have lurked around now and then. Just didn't like the fact that I have to register. Anyway, I kinda need your help this time. I recently bought this cage and it's suppose to be for the MC240. I have never seen this style before but it does fit correctly and is made of quality steel material. Even the screws look like something McIntosh would use as they are similar to the screws on the bottom panel of their tube amps. Cage sits a bit below the top of the transformers, but the amp doesn't have any mounting studs.

Just wondering if this is a reproduction or a genuine Mac cage. The spacing is about 1/2" or a bit bigger. The metal grate as a width of about 1/4".

Thanks for any helps.

T.
Cage_MC240.jpg

Possibly very early production, was used on the first run 240 that had 2 octal connectors on the front panel.

Sorry no help on the cage but why would it bother you to have to register here ?

MC 240 Tube Cages

I believe there were three different versions of the MC 240 tube cage produced (not coincidentally, there were three different versions of the MC 240).

This is an “early” tube cage with large square holes. It was used on units made from July 1960 to July 1961. The second series of MC 240’s made from August 1961 to September 1965 had a tube cage with small square holes. The final series made from September 1965 to April 1969 had small round holes.

VintageMac

Thank you for giving me a brief history the MC240. I couldn't find any info on the large square hole type elsewhere. I am happy with the cage even though it doesn't fit in the period of my amp. Mine has the single octal plug on the left side. The whole thing looks kinda cool and unique.

Grumpy, I guess I just too lazy to register. Now that I am registered, I hope to be able to contribute more.

T.

No biggie was just curious. Hope ya stick around. We all learn from each other.

Thank you all! I don't think I know as much as you mac addicts. Though I do have a few pieces myself :D .

My current pieces, all tubes:
MC240
C-11
MC75's
MR66
MX110

The last 3 will need some works. I'll need to make some time for them.

TnT2

I doubt that cage came from McIntosh. Looks to be made for some other unit. All McIntosh cages are open on the transformer side.

Ron-C

I have seen this cage on very early MC240's as well. If they were produced by McIntosh, it would have been only a few. I have seen maybe 4 of them come throough here in 15 years. Like Ron said, most of the cages for the MC240's were open on the transformer side.

I have seen this cage on very early MC240's as well. If they were produced by McIntosh, it would have been only a few. I have seen maybe 4 of them come throough here in 15 years. Like Ron said, most of the cages for the MC240's were open on the transformer side.

I just acquired an early MC240 and it has the square hole cages. Definitely from McIntosh. The piece was owned by the same person for 57 years and was in a console. They put it in the console hooked up the connections and 'closed the door'......

Back
Top Bottom