Weird stain or oxidization on silver face knobs (don't use HF ultrasonic cleaner on aluminum knobs)

I have done this too!

I ended up using Duplicolor High performance Wheel Coating (silver) to paint over them. Turned out alright.

Now I pull the knobs, place them on a plate, soak with windex, let sit for 3 min. spray another spritz of windex and use a q-tip. When I tried the ultasonic cleaner, some of them had paint on them... now to clean paint off of metal, I use Howards neutral, and then clean the oily residue with windex...

To clarify, the culprit here was the chemicals used rather than the ultrasonic machine itself, right?. I was planning on trying this with dish detergent or Simply Green.

To clarify, the culprit here was the chemicals used rather than the ultrasonic machine itself, right?. I was planning on trying this with dish detergent or Simply Green.

I have subsequently used the ultrasonic cleaner (device) on the same kind of anodized aluminum knobs and had no problems:

1. I used Simple Green, water and detergent soap
2. Did not use the ultrasonic cleaner powder (from harbor freight)
3. Only left the knobs in the cleaner for 30 seconds

Just use some Palmolive and you will be fine. I would avoid Simple Green because it is rather harsh compared to dish soap.

I just tried a few aluminum knobs using Mrs. Meyers' Clean Day (because it was near the sink and I thought it might tend toward mildness). After several minutes, when it auto-stopped, I couldn't tell any difference at all. I may try again with Dawn and then Simple Green.

Back
Top Bottom