Welcome David Deratany!!!

Thatch_Ear

Addicted Member
Hey everyone David or ddrat is one of my best friends though we have never met. For over 2 years we have exchanged emails almost daily and music periodically.
It all started over a pair of Atec 604s of mine and a post I put somewhere. David sent me an email since he has 604s and we have been having some nice conversations and exchanged a lot of great music over the last 2 years.
I think that he believes my musical tastes are warped, but that is only because I tend to send him recordings of things I don't think he has been exposed to yet and or I know he would never buy. I am batting better than 2000 but it has to be close.

Welcome David

I hope you find youself at home here there are all sorts of sick people here :D....

Thatch... what music are you into?

Chris

Just about anything that is musical from Bach to Pink. If it has good rythm and harmonies and is the right thing for the moment I like to love it. I love the happiness of the Latin beat, the power of Beethonan's 9th, the twisted humour of St Sean's waltz "The Dance Macabre" the slightly meloncholy aspect of Jobim and the timing of Sinatra.
All time favorite rock group is Steely Dan, best female vocalist Ella Fitzgerald.
I prefere the more laid back style of the West Coast jazz in the 50s compared to the hot bebop that was Parker,Gilespie et all, but the man that could take music apart, twist it, play with it and put it back together the best is Monk.
Lots of contradictions or as some would put it diversity. Big Band swing ,soft trio standards, Tito Puente or the Flower Duet from the opera Lakme'. Holst's Mars to chamber music to the blues to Patsy Cline.......I'm just getting started here.

I'm with ya all the way down to my favorite group "Steely Dan". Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are the tops in my book. With a my father, sisters and grandparents all being musicians, I grew up with music. It's in my blood and I love it that way.

I'm pretty much that way about music too...

From Elvis to Massive Attack.... From the Beatles to Gilberto Gil...

Chris

Sinatra to Sex Pistols

I'm warped to. Seriously, our music tastes are similiar - Ella / Steely. I'm more into modal Jazz and thoughtful acoustic arrangements (Kings of Convenience / Mark Kozelek / Mark Eitzel / Red House Painters). All-in-all, pretty dreary stuff but it is the perfect canvas for my reflective nature, and works beautifully with my system.

MikE

Thatch, I welcome what you send me in music, because it is true that most of it I would never audition in a million years. Some of it I liked a great deal and still enjoy listening to.

I'm into country music now, but played R &R in college for $20/night and all I could drink. I'm glad those days are over. Bluegrass for a while. Love Django, like to be dazzled with guitar or violin (Paganini). About to buy a Fender B-bender Tele, as I am doing a gig for a theater ("Always, Patsy Cline") on pedal steel and will want to write off the pay.

If I don't NEED to hear something a second time (i.e. all but one thing I ever heard from the "greatest guitar player in the world" --what's his name - Clapton), it is no good to me. My friends say I don't like anything, but I am just as hard on myself. I'd say I've played only three or four things in 40 years I would call "almost good". One was last week when my band did "Peaceful easy feelin" and I played a verse and chorus lead that was "almost good". Something like that can carry me for years.

Saw Les Mis in Boston lst summer for the first time. Bought all three soundtracks and the DVD. Ate, drank and slept it for months.

More later, if I don't get yelled off the board.

welcome aboard!

yer alright with us...we just figure ya can't be as much of a pain as that thatch_ear guy ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm not nearly so insufferable as I appear at first glance.

I'm running a YAM RX770 receiver into a pair of Altec 1631A active crossovers, then the lf back into the YAM -plenty of power, really low distortion and damping facor of 240, and into a totally renewed DYNA ST70 for the hf. Speakers are Altec 604b reconed to D/E w/Radian diaphragms, in 7.25 cubic foot boxes made by my dad and comparable in quality of construction to the guitar, pictures of which Thatchear posted on the DIY section here.

I will be disconnecting the internal horns and running a pair of Altec 802-D (just remagnetized) drivers w/811b horns. This system can disrupt all small animal life within blocks of my house :).
Eh, what's that you say. I can't hear you, you'll have to speak up.

I don't have "Home theater". I have theater in the home, as these systems are esentially Voice of the Theaters. Don't need no subwoofer with them, either.

More later.

Derat'

You want pix, send me a digital camera :) I'd put a smiley here but don't know how to do it. They are 23 x 16 x 47, giving ample interior volume and yet a small footprint. 7/8" walnut veneered plywood, glued, screwed, mitred-splined, braced, reinforced: deader than truck-pressed duck, and properly vented. I can hear 29hz organ notes. I think they are attactive enough, but let's not forget they are just boxes. Now, when I mount the horns on top...... may need a good divorce lawyer.

Pix of the guitar are at the DIY section.

David...you have a PM (private message) Just click the button near the top of the page labled "user cp"

I'd love to see pics of the system. Were you listening to the drivers before re-magnatising them?...how much of a difference was there and how do you know if they need it?

thanks ;)

Last edited:
Bought drivers from place in OR, had them shipped to GPA for remagnetizing, just as a matter of course. No place to save $15 plus UPS to Cape Cod. Do I know that they needed it? No. But why wonder if every perceived or imagined fault in the sound might be because I didn't have them done? This way I know. And Bill said they arrived at GPA in good shape, and I am relieved to know that he gave them a good look see.

I haven't heard them yet, obviously, but I got into this project because I picked up an 811 and 806 driver for not too much money, figuring to use it with one of my stereo steel speaker cabs

http://www.stereosteel.com

I use this amp when I want to establish some 'ground rules' :) 600 watts. two 15" Black Widow cabs, Digitech quad4 for effects. yummy

and I hooked it up to one of my 604's and was quite taken with the sound. Almost made my 604's sound muddy...can you imagine the affrontery of that??!! It may just have been nothing more than its increased efficiency that made it sound better, tho.

So, from the 806 I got two 802-D's, and a second horn, so I have that original 806 for sale - no diaphragm, tho.

Got the two 802-D drivers back today from remagnetizing by GPA, popped in my spare altec aluminum diaphragms, attached 811b horns, put one on top of each 604b cab....and wow! The difference between the horn in the 604b and the 802-D/811b combo is dramatic. Every string of an acoustic guitar sounds like it has its own mike, amp and speaker and channel. I will never go back. Now, to mount the horns in the cabs.

I figure while I am there I will adjust the vent size in accordance with John Ridley's calculations , tighten up some screw holes and replace the foam lining material with pink fluff (fiberglass); then warn all small animal life to leave the neighborhood while I play Ricky Skaggs "Highway 40 Blues (vinyl) with the volume at 3:00 o'clock on the dial. :D Usual setting 8-9 o'clock.

If you can't be crazy once in a while, what's the point of getting up in the morning?!

Back
Top Bottom