Welcome to Barter Town Preview!

Tinkerbelle

Everything in Moderation
Staff member
Admin
Super Mod
Subscriber
Welcome, all, to Barter Town Preview! Here you will find a sneak peek into one of the many additional benefits that are available to AK Subscribers.

The attached .pdf is a snapshot of the postings in Barter Town.
When you open the .pdf you should be able to increase the size to better view the details.

upload_2016-8-4_20-17-49.png

This is just a sampling of the dozens of pages of listings and there are many hot deals here for buyers and sellers.

To find out more details, pick up a bargain, sell or trade unwanted items just become a subscriber.

There are two ways to subscribe.
1. Please see the attached. Click on your name in the upper right of the page and from the menu select "Account Upgrades". You can subscribe directly from there.
2. Click on the red "Subscribe" button in the upper right of the page

It should process fairly quickly by the admins. Once your subscription is processed you will see an additional Subscribers section, which includes Barter Town and other forums.

Attachments

• 20210128_212705.jpg
    20210128_212705.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
A gentle reminder to consider the benefits of becoming an AudioKarma subscriber. Access to Barter Town is only one benefit, noting that often there are free items available in Barter Town from generous AK subscribers, including tube and solid state receivers/amps, speakers, and other audio, and non-audio, items.

As posted on the home page, subscribers "... get more value, have access to more info, and you're included in free drawings for some very cool stuff." For a quick run down of a comparison of other benefits for subscribers, this post identifies the following extras for subscribers (but later updated as below):

* Private subforums only for Subscribers. [Barter Town is only one of several subscriber-only forums]
Audiokarma auctions
BarterTown forums
Back Alley Pub
Regional and group exchange forum
Car Audio forum
The Reading Room forum
* PM capacity increases to 1500 (Reg. members get 150).
* Picture storage increases to 200 MB (Reg. members get 30 MB).
* User album, 2.5 MB
* You can delete your own posts & threads
* You can edit your own thread, including the title
* Bigger signature limit.
* Choose to display your name in "Subscriber Red".
* Use animated gifs as your Avatar.
* Gain the ability to be "invisible" to the rest of the board. (No one can see when you're online.)

Take a look through some of the recent Barter Town preview postings here and consider taking the next step in supporting AudioKarma. If you're looking to buy, sell or trade, your $25 subscription might be quickly recouped in Barter Town bargains, and you help to support our audio community and online meeting place.

Thank you for your interest and consideration!

Last edited:
fulljam: "I went to the bartertown updates listed above,and tried to click on some items,but the threads wouldn't open...they only got larger or smaller...what am I doing wrong?"

Moderator: "Actually, you are doing nothing wrong, that Preview post was from 2011 and the Audiokarma site was completely updated with new Web Forum software in 2016, and the pictures no longer show, and the Preview Posts links no longer work either. We probably need to pick some more current For Sale Listings to copy/paste as previews. Sorry, we are all volunteers and haven't had a chance to get back and fix that - too much fun listening to music!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the bartertown updates,and tried to click on some items,but the threads wouldn't open...they only got larger or smaller...what am I doing wrong? fulljam
You are not doing anything wrong. This forum is BarterTown Preview and these are just preview pages, i.e. images to allow non-subscribers to get an idea of what is available in BarterTown. To view and open the actual thread you need to go to BarterTown itself, which is available only to subscribers.

Funatic: "How do we access BarterTown?"

Moderator: "Bartertown is a subscriber-only forum for buying/trading/or selling items here on Audokarma
You cannot access it unless you have paid the small $25-a-year fee to become a subscriber.
Once you are a paid subscriber, you can click this link and see the various Forums,
including Bartertown, that are ONLY available to subscribers."

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php#the-subscribers-section.137

How do we subscribers access BarterTown
If you are a subscriber, i.e. if you have paid the $25 subscription cost, then you should already see the additional forums that are available to you. You should also see the red "AK Subscriber" badge below your member name. This sometimes take a short while to process. If you have not yet subscribed, you can do so by following the instructions in post #1 here.

How do you access posts?

Here is the index page of forums:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

The first section contains the rules and the AK Helping VOA Families for Christmas. Right below that is the Subscribers' Section.

If you don't see that, your bookmark is not cookied properly. Delete it. Clear cache and cookies. Log out from AK. Type the URL audiokarma.org. Log in, having checked the Remember Me box. Go to the forum index, linked above. You should see the same lists of forums. Set a new bookmark.

Attachments

• ForumIndex.jpg
    ForumIndex.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 85
I've been a subscriber for several yaers, but still can find no access to Barter Town. What am I doing wrong?
Please refer also to post #5 above.

Access to Barter Town is not through this Barter Town Preview forum it is through the Subscriber forums at the top of this AudioKarma page: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

If you still cannot find Barter Town please PM one of the admins luvvinvinyl or Grumpy.

One thing to say about Barter Town is when dealing with Subscribers ( which most have been here for quite some time ) you get more of a trust factor , at least I do , rather than dealing with someone who just joined up to post something for sale . Also being a Subscriber you get certain features available to you that members don't get . Worth the 25 a year to me anyway and I have donated a little extra over the few years I have been here for selling things and all the wealth of knowledge that has helped me out .

Barter Town has been, and remains an active buying and selling venue. The 'much wider audience' to which you refer, the one that is made up of occasional 'drive-by' visitors, does not provide the same customer demographic and trust, as do the subscribers, they being of a mindset more likely to purchase/trade/sell, and to do so with integrity. It has been running for a long time, to the great satisfaction of its members.

So, 'just for the sake of argument', no, AK doesn't exist as a place to buy and sell one's goods. It exists as a community of audio enthusiasts. A community, where the 'permanent residents' forge online friendships, and, as friends are often wont to do, they converse on a diverse array of topics, often passionately, and at great length. As well, we have come together to aid others in need, among our own, and those outside our direct online community. And, people often buy and sell here, but that is so not the main purpose for being here.

Yes, AK is an audio forum, but to think of it as 'only an audio forum' does a huge disservice to the great people who populate this corner of the internet, and who make this so much more than just an audio forum.

I'm still a bit confused about Barter Town. Just for the sake of argument let us assume that only a select few will become subscribers since quite a few folks (probably the vast majority) will really only visit a forum like this on the odd occasion as the need arises rather than those that dwell and troll here as permanent residents/subscribers. So really what is happening here is that Barter Town will be a much more thinned down service only really reaching that select few of hard core AK-ers who are subscribers rather than an uber-wide audience like the old (and I am hearing abused) Market Place? Given that it will no longer reach a much wider audience, I guess I am failing to see this as a benefit for someone that wants to get the news out to a wider audience that he/she is selling, wanting or giving something away? I am assuming (maybe wrongly so) that the clicky regulars will be a much tougher crowd to buy and sell items than the masses....
That's just my opinion though - I truly hope it works out....
Audiokarma is not a sales site, it's an audio forum and other like interest. We have a small classified for members to sell and trade their extra stuff from time to time.

If you need a sale site there is many of them, so good luck.

I can't see either the jpg's or pdf's. all six links give me:

Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - Error

This attachment cannot be shown at this time. Please try back later.

unless there really is no barter section and it's a trick to show me all the advertiser banners?;)

It looks like the links were broken following the software update. I re-uploaded the files in the 02-09-14 thread, so you should be able to see those. The .jpg or .png files do not appear as large in this new format as previous so the .pdf will probably be better for viewing and enlarging.

Last edited:
Curious, how is this barter town thing working out for folks? Generating lots of business? Worth the subscription?
TMF

Yes worth the subscription , lots of gear listed . Plus you help this great site when you subscribe .

Which Admin do I PM when my paypal account was debited for my membership renewal automatically, but it was not applied to my account? I cannot get to barter town or the like.

For Subscriptions and other payments please message Admins luvvinvinyl or Grumpy. They will address this quickly for you.

It's almost the same thing over at the Polk Site. Here you pay $25 to be a member.
Sorry but that's incorrect, your a member, it didn't cost you anything to be one.

However once a member you can Subscribe, this cost $25 for a year that gives you access to another 6 forums on the site.

Also what other sites do is irrelevant here.

Back
Top Bottom