Welcome to the Solid State Forum!

didn't realize my first post was going into a vintage forum...currently trying to repair the bose awrc-1g and posted a question....
if this gets me any street cred (or abuse) I have a vintage receiver Kenwood KR 6600 in play every day and love it.... hooked up to Design Acoustic PS 10s speakers and a Technics Sl12 turntable...Very happy..
I also saved an AKAI AA-R50 receiver from the dumpster...plugged it in an it worked just fine but with no lights...ordered and soldered em in there...it's a beautiful thing solid, strong and crisp...
anyway, thanks guys...happy to be here..

Hi, I´m new, sorry for my bad english, it is not mi mother language but I try my best xD, I always rode a lot from this forum but I never made an account.
I´m glad to join here.
Hi, I´m new, sorry for my bad english, it is not mi mother language but I try my best xD, I always rode a lot from this forum but I never made an account.
I´m glad to join here.
Welcome!

Hello, I'm old (65YO) and new to this forum
Very interested in audio, though the ears are not what they were.
Tinkered with some small Class D (tpa3116 and tpa3255) but brought out what think is a problematic Technics SU-V9 paired to standmount Tannoy V1i.
Running well enough, though I don't know for how long. one channel cuts out every now and then, which some knob twiddling seems to fix . . . yet.

Hi Ogee.
It kinda sounds like a little deoxite would fix your cutting out issue. Even if you've already done it, I find that some units just need a second deoxing.
Good luck and welcome.

Dave

Just saw this old Zenith set on Facebook,interesting set and I think I remember seeing one like it many years ago somewhere.
I thought it was kind of interesting with those round speakers,wonder when it was made,guessing mid to late 1960's since it's solid state.
Lucky for me I don't have anyplace for more old junk or I might need to have it. lol
It's on Facebook Marketplace for sale,not a buyer myself even at only $100 but thought it was just kind of cool to look at so I thought I post the pics for all here to enjoy.
67448322_596114770912460_3723908160855998464_n.jpg
67380765_596113107579293_2949272759907123200_n.jpg
67264198_596113067579297_1278086807346479104_n.jpg

Hello,
I am a newbie and i'm a audioholic, I am making this confession to somehow ease the pain of guilt from my wife telling me that my gear and parts have taken over the house in closets and under tables and in storage garage and where ever else!
Is it bad that when she calls me a hoarder and says I have a hoarding disorder I secretly smile and feel good even though I walk away with my head down to pretend like her words even effect me?
I am a partner and head of sales for a new audio manufacturing company and our newest top Monoblock amplifiers will cost as much as a exotic car or small house but I cant seem to get rid of my old Adcom, Rotel, Nakamichi, JBL, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sansui and even Denon amps or Teac RR and how can I not mention the different models of heritage Klipsch speakers, B&W 801 s2, Pioneer or Infinity speakers. Somehow the thought of them gathering dust in storage doesn't bother me to the least - the same way Raquel Welch somehow is still beautiful covered in earth dust in the famous photo from One Million Years B.C.
Is it bad that I still have pent up anger and that it was frowned upon when I wanted to name my first born after the infamous brand mark Telefunken? My Audiokarma name is WAM and I am a audioholic!

All jokes aside I am looking forward to reading and learning from the rapport of others on this forum.

Regards,
Brad

Hello,
I am a newbie and i'm a audioholic, I am making this confession to somehow ease the pain of guilt from my wife telling me that my gear and parts have taken over the house in closets and under tables and in storage garage and where ever else!
Is it bad that when she calls me a hoarder and says I have a hoarding disorder I secretly smile and feel good even though I walk away with my head down to pretend like her words even effect me?
I am a partner and head of sales for a new audio manufacturing company and our newest top Monoblock amplifiers will cost as much as a exotic car or small house but I cant seem to get rid of my old Adcom, Rotel, Nakamichi, JBL, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sansui and even Denon amps or Teac RR and how can I not mention the different models of heritage Klipsch speakers, B&W 801 s2, Pioneer or Infinity speakers. Somehow the thought of them gathering dust in storage doesn't bother me to the least - the same way Raquel Welch somehow is still beautiful covered in earth dust in the famous photo from One Million Years B.C.
Is it bad that I still have pent up anger and that it was frowned upon when I wanted to name my first born after the infamous brand mark Telefunken? My Audiokarma name is WAM and I am a audioholic!

All jokes aside I am looking forward to reading and learning from the rapport of others on this forum.

Regards,
Brad
Rachel Welch?

I can hear, "Is that all you got from that?"

Actually, I deeply feel your obsession, as secretly pleasant as it may be.
I have quite a few pieces of rather nice gear that I have to List and Sell; and I'm having such a difficult time getting it done. I really don't want to part with any of the items. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I will somehow muster the courage to get them Listed in September, but it certainly won't feel good.

Dave

Last edited:
Rachel Welch?

I can hear, "Is that all you got from that?"

Actually, I deeply feel your obsession, as secretly pleasant as it may be.
I have quite a few pieces of rather nice gear that I have to List and Sell; and I'm having such a difficult time getting it done. I really don't want to part with any of the items. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I will somehow muster the courage to get them Listed in September, but it certainly won't feel good.

Dave

Dave
I am sorry to say but you to are an audioholic. lol

I am sorry to say but you to are an audioholic. lol
I was going to say, "Sadly, yes." But there's such an indescribable enjoyment factor, and enthusiastic pull to the sickness, that I'll rephrase it to a positive, "Yes!"
So, happy listening to you, and enjoy tooling around with yer gear. I know I do.
Case in point, the head units on my Kef R107's are out at the speaker shop being ferrofluid'ed (that's a word), and recapped. And yet today, I bought a used pair of Polk Audio Lsim 707's to test against them. I suspect that the Kefs will win out, but I'll leave the final decision to my wife's unbiased ears. Hmmm ...

Dave

Reactions: WAM
image.jpg Hi all, I’m very new to all this, but I did just buy a RCA New vista victrola solid state console. I can’t find a serial number, but hopefully someone can help me in narrowing down a year for this console.

Last edited:
haasltd & rek 100,

Welcome to AudioKarma!

Feel free to post away! :music:

Retro
Hi guy / gals long time reader needing your opinions on something I picked up. Since a lot of you like to get inside your equipment and do what you can to make them even better. I thought I would post some pics of the unit I picked up and have you guess approx power and manufacturer & model if possible. Get three guesses. Winner gets cusdos from us all. Hope it is not too hard or too easy. Would appreciate any upgrades recommend besides a good cleaning. Enjoy i’ll Try to check in everyday

Hello,

Regards,
Brad

I am also new to the forum and share your trait of liking gear from vintage to modern. Recently bought some Jensen Imperial speakers, probably about 60 years old and also bought a 300b tube amp with a modern circuit design.

Here are some guidlines to use when posting in the Vintage Sold State Forum.

We like to use the word “Guidelines” instead of rules. :D

1). We’re here to have fun, talk, and learn about Vintage Solid State Equipment!

2). We don’t mind debates, but will not tolerate personal attacks.

3). Promoting of personal gear for the purpose of selling will not be tolerated. If you want to sell something on AudioKarma, use the “Classifieds Forum” or do it here and take the chance of getting banned.

4). Posting of eBay, Craigslist, Audiogon, etc., auction and for sale links should be posted in the "Dollars and Sense" forum only, not in the Vintage Solid State forum. Furthermore, ALL valuations of equipment questions should only be asked in the "Dollars and Sense" forum as well.

5). If you are new here, your first posts should NOT be, “does anyone have a manual they can give me?” Or, “can someone tell me what this is worth?” And finally, “does anybody have this part I am missing on my XXXXX Brand Receiver?” How about instead, just introducing yourself, telling everyone you’re new, and getting to know us a little before you start “using” us. :D

6). Spam will not be tolerated and you will be banned immediately.

7). Thread crapping will not be tolerated (Going into an established thread and completely trying to change the intended subject). If you want to change the subject, start a new thread!

8). Remember, our motto here at AK is “All Audio, No Attitude!”

9). If anyone has any kind of issues with this forum at all, please PM or e-mail us and we'll see if we can't get them worked out as soon as possible.

10). And lastly, if anyone is looking for any assistance (either technical or in identification, and hopefully, for just about everything else) in the area of Solid State Electronics, I hope this is the first place they come and get that assistance. I'll be honest, especially in the technical aspect, I'm not going to be able to answer most of the questions being asked, that's where EchoWars and the other AK Site Techs come in, but I'm hoping with all the other regular "Vintage Solid State People" here, we'll be able to be one of the best resources for help and information for Vintage Solid State Electronics on the WWW!

Your Vintage Solid State Forum Moderators,
hpsenicka & Retro Stereo
Thanks! I'm new. I'm not a tech. I just have an appreciation for equipment. I accidentally fixed a Weltron space ball once. Have a friend who owns a couple small radio stations and collects. His didn't power up. He asked me to open up the Weltron to give me something to do. Had me poke around with a little plastic probe. "Hey, the internal fuse holder is broken". He shoved me aside and soldered in a new one. That kind of lucky. Any way, I like the site. Thanks again! Karl

Hello yes I’m a new member. I may have been one once a long time ago but in 2009 after the financial crisis I lost my home. My once consumer state of the art system consisted of a Carver integrated receiver and a JVC QYL66F turntable connected together with a pair of JBL 240 TI. I had The surrounds refoamed on the jbl’s in 2004 and the Carver brought back to spec That firm is out of business now. I’d like to repair the Carver and JVC Tt both of them are dead and also refurb the JBL speakers.
I’m retired and living on a very small limited income after being homeless for a short time I am eager to set up my stereo system and unboxed my records once again now that I have found a suitable place to live. I live in the Bronx and NYC, I understand I would never be able to afford to replace what I thought was state of the art when I bought it. I enjoyed it so much. It has sentimental value because I purchased it when I was in the Air Force with one of my first paychecks from the stereo room in Camp New Amsterdam. JBL even put my name on the 240 Ti speakers on a gold plaque.

Can anyone recommend a solid-state repair center in New York City, I did business with DBM one time for a guitar amplifier fix and they never bench checked it before they gave back to me after replacing the speaker the new speaker had a faulty coil so it was dead when I got home I had to return a second time lugging a 70 pound Fender Twin on city trains and busses.

I know I am committing a No No asking for help on the first post but I have the funds at the moment and on my budget they won’t last

Thanks

Hi Audiophiles! I'm a long time lover of music and have a growing appreciation for vintage equipment, especially in the disposable society I live in. Although I joined AK a few years ago, I haven't been active, although my most recent acquisition will likely change that.
I've done a number of amateur car audio installs in my youth, decades ago now, some of which were more hack jobs than others. I also picked up a Yamaha CR-420 in my late teens, which I have an increasing appreciation for. I currently use it with my Akai AP-100 to play vinyl on when I find time.

I recently acquired a stereo console that my grandparents bought new in Dec. 1972 for $488 CAD from Woodwards in downtown Edmonton. It's a Philips, R-912, I think, although I haven't found a clear model number or any digital information about it. I have some sales brochures and the equivalent of a quick start guide but need to locate a service manual yet. I've picked up some contact cleaner since the dials seem to crackle a little when turning. I've also read and heard from a few sources that the 45+ yr old Caps likely need replacing, which I know nothing about. Hopefully that will lessen the hum!

The AM/FM stereo tuner works and I am currently listening to my iPod through the cassette tape peripheral, so I am enjoying the unit!

Sadly the BSR C141 turntable appears to be broken and the toner arm does not move automatically, although the platter does spin up. I haven't plucked up the courage to put an album on the platter to see if the rest of the turntable works. There is a small incandescent light on the underside of the unit, which I think is great for the little bit of ambient light it provides to the room. The inside of the cabinet, where the controls and turntable are is a little dim, despite the tuner window lighting up. I have thought about trying to add a switch to the lid and some LED's to light up the inside when adjusting dials or changing albums.

First I need to finish testing the turntable and figure out the best solution for the broken toner arm mechanism. Fortunately I have found a service manual for a BSR C141 R1 online, which is hopefully all I need. As I'm sure some of you will appreciate, this is a bit of an heirloom for me since both my grandparents passed away over 5 years ago and I hadn't seen much of them for probably 10 years prior to that. I've attached a few photos for interest, drooling, laughing, or crying. I'm open to any suggested maintenance I should or should not do. Thanks all! Sorry for the lengthy post!!!!

Attachments

• PhilipsBackLabel.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PhilipsOpen.jpg
    PhilipsOpen.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 23
  • PhilipsFront.jpg
    PhilipsFront.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 23
  • PhilipsWarranty.jpg
    PhilipsWarranty.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 22
  • PhilipsTurntable.jpg
    PhilipsTurntable.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 23
  • PhilipsTuner.jpg
    PhilipsTuner.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 23
  • PhilipsManuals.jpg
    PhilipsManuals.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 21
"Hello, my name is Mrwirez & I AM AN AUDIOHOLIC".

I'm a loooong time reader, but first time poster (shy ??). I love this site.

AK is my go-to site when I'm looking at any "vintage" audio equipment. First for worthiness of consideration, then of purchasing value. The knowledge locked away in the minds of the members here is unlike any other website of it's kind!

Long live AK!

Thanks!

9BD780BE-EFEF-4B13-8552-1A54F4D03CFE.jpeg 596991C2-A239-4785-A957-36BFCBB01C7D.jpeg I usually know what I like, I know what I want , and I know that new can go well with vintage (20 years and older) equipment.

My main setup is one of those examples.

A mid 70ts mildly restored, Sansui sr626 with XUV pickering. This is a 20pound solid table, direct drive (I refuse belt) I wanted something elegant, good base, direct drive and above all no frills table. Simple, easy to calibrate.

Then the speakers are probably the oldest I ever owed. Build in 1978, magnepan tympani at the time, distributes by Audio research.

Then my main amps are ATI 7 channel class a/b. Build and perform like tanks would, they weight 97 pounds each. I bet you can weld with the toroidal transformers in it.

The rest of my gear is newer, than 20 years so I won’t consider it vintage. In my ears and realistic expectations, of what I seek in a good solid setup.

I have no upgrade bug, up my butt, since I gotten to this point. There is room for improvement, as with any setup. But based on my own experiences, I have to have deeper pockets, to get to the next step.

I set a budget for acoustical treatments too, so last week i installed, over 100 acoustical absorber tiles. And that made a huge impact too. My speakers, are very unforgiving, especially room wise.

It’s room corrected (dsp) and acoustic treatment. Enough said.. I can keep flapping my gums.

Hello, everyone! I wanted to introduce myself properly and thank you all for such a wonderful forum. My name is Bruce and I have been an "Audiophile Light" since the early 1980's . Yeah, I'm getting old! What great years the 70's and 80's were...

I have perused this forum after Google searches for almost a year but have never joined because I try to stay off of my computer as much as possible (because I work form it virtually everyday!) and I see so much knowledge and camaraderie here. It is impressive!

I have some old HiFi gear and I have been wanting to refresh/resurrect it for quite awhile. It still functions but not as it should, so I decided to take the leap and join up :) I'm not a big writer so I won't be posting for points LOL!

I thank you all in advance and hope that I may contribute productively in some way. Stay healthy and thank you for letting me join in :)

Back
Top Bottom