Welcome to the Solid State Forum!

Retro, Congrats on the new forum, How are those HPM 100's holding up?
Anyone needing input on Carver/Hafler, I'll do what I can to Help.
Robert

Hello there. I'm new here too.

I'm a youngster electronics nerd with a fetish for fixing up vintage stuff I get from donations and junk yards. I love the good ol' hand crafted PCBs and real power ratings.

... How about instead, just introducing yourself, telling everyone you’re new, and getting to know us a little before you start “using” us. :D

Now I feel bad because I've been 'using' you right along. :eek:

Through a freakish turn of events I ended up with a Technics SL-QL15, Pioneer SX-650 and an old man's record collection. I use it in our spare room/computer room for 2 channel while the girl watches friggin' Oprah. :rolleyes:

Then it all went wrong ... I couldn't stop. See sig. I really joined because my Google searches kept bringing me here for the Pioneer receivers and some HPM-100's that came with one of the deals. This retro rec'r/TT thing is new to me. It's keeping me occupied and your site is chalk full of info.

-Alex

Two questions, I saw a thread once where people posted pics of their systems, and can't seem to find it now, and how do I post pics if I find this thead? Thanks

New guy

Hi, I probably should have introduced myself before posting like crazy, but sometimes enthusiasm gets the best of us:music: I haven't really been involved in vintage audio before other than by default because of my age. The last system I bought was a Yamaha A-520 and some Polk 5jrs which I got new in the late 80's and still use. I have a Dual CS 505-3 also bought new about that time, along with various CD and DVD players bought along the way. I also have a Kenwood KA-60 left over from college that also remains in use as part of an office system.

While walking through a junk shop last week I spotted a Pioneer SX-1050. It was just so heavy and silver and walnut that I could not leave it there - I had to bring it home. This is my first piece that was actually vintage when I bought it and I must say it's quite exciting. I now envision a pair of AR-3's sitting in the corner of every thrift store I drive by.

The current challenge is to learn how these things work and get the 1050 running right. I have some skills that I picked up working on tube guitar amps, but those amps are quite simple compared to the inside of something like the 1050. I've received some help here right out of the gate and I look forward to being a part of this great community - Thanks.

Pioneer SX-1500TD

I picked up a Pioneer SX-1500TD at a garage sale a couple of years ago. When I got and plugged it up with some speakers, I noticed that the sound was crackling and only one channel was working. Make a long story short, I had it repaired it turned out to be dirty pots on the unit (I could have saved myself a couple of $100 in repairs if I cleaned it myself) Oh well such as life. I modified the speaker terminals with binding posts to make the speaker connections a snap. **Edited by Moderators: NO discussions of selling allowed**

:thmbsp:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!

I'm new here; I got here by searching for information about Sony's TA-F6B amp, and found a few interesting threads on here.

A little bit about myself.. I'm from the Netherlands, born in the seventies, and got into the 'vintage' love because of an old sony amp I got from my father almost 15 years ago. This amp is the Sony TA-2650, and is currently in daily use. I got the amp with one channel muted, a volume knob with a mind of its own, and bad knobs and switches on the front (noisy, crackling). I recapped it 5 years ago, cleaned it up inside, took some switches apart to clean them with rubbing alcohol, and since then it is working near-perfectly. Just some controls are still in less-then-perfect state.

I really like the look of the old 70's/early 80's silver amps thanks to the Sony. My current quest is to find a nicer looking amp. From what I've seen I like the Sony TA-F6B most. Sadly, that thing is hard to find for an affordable price. Maybe I'll settle for one of the pioneers with the blue displays instead (like the SA 7800 has).

Also, I might want to gut an old broken amp with a similar style to the amp I'll actually be using. Inside it, I'll put a computer instead, which will serve as a media center. Should be fun!

Anyway, hi!

Hello

First, let me express my sadness for the loss of Michael Jackson. I do not know what is true or not true about his personal life, but I do know he was one of the world's all-time great entertainers. His talent will be missed.

Now, about me. I have been mostly a lurker among these forums, but I am always impressed by the knowledge and courtesy shown within these pages.

The only remnants I have left from my early music-loving days is an old Scott turntable, my metal cassettes and my 2200 plus record collection. I have toted those records up and down many stairs and stored them in many closets over the years.

For the last year I have been in the process of rebuilding my music experience. Since all my purchases are based on a $10 a week budget, it is a slow process. I buy at flea markets, garage sales and thrift stores. Keep some, but sell most.

My system currently includes a Realistic TR-800 8-Track Player/Recorder, an Optimus SCT-86 Cassette Deck, a Kenwood DP-770D CD Player, 2 Realistic LAB-395 Turntables, an Optimus 31-2025 Equalizer, and a pair of RCA SP100-15B Speakers all powered by a Harmon/Kardon 330c Receiver. I absolutely love the way it sounds. I can't wait to get really good speakers.

I'm another Hoosier from the south-central part of Indiana.

I am so impressed by this site. It seems that almost every time I search Google with a model number, there is a reference to a post from AudioKarma.

That brings me to today's subject. I found this piece of equipment at a flea market. I can find no references to it anywhere. I'm still not very good at searching this site, so if it has been discussed, I missed it. The brand name seems to be "bp". The model number is PA1250. If I was guessing, I would say it is a mono PA system receiver. It plays from the built-in tuner or from an exterior music source. It is Solid State. I will try to upload pictures. Can anyone tell me about it or point me in the direction to obtain information?

Thank you,

Jim

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 35
Here's a few pics of the back.

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 15
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 17
I guess I should properly say "hi"... Love this forum. I've been "lurking" it for a few years now... Having recently made some new vintage purchases, I found that this site is the best for advice and audio knowledge. Just cruising the various posts, I was able to gain the bits of info I needed to make sound purchases, and to make the best "repair/service" decisions...

Great forum. With the handful of receivers I now have running, I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor!

ps: I neglected the early 90s Sony STRAV970 with technical "issues" right now... I guess they just don't make them like they used to. "Guess"? No, I should say "I KNOW they don't make them like they used to". So glad my Dad started me down this path! He still loves his ultimate Sinatra collection running through these little beasts!

Hi Goonda,

If you take a look at the top of the forum, on the left, you'll see a button that says "New Thread". Just click on that button, put in a title, and start your thread down in the box. Piece of cake, give it a try.

Hi every one. Names Ric and I'm glad to be here. Apparently I have been a member for a while be cause it seams I have a user name and password. Anyway get old and still have a lot to learn.
I don't know if my new receiver, a Mitsubishi DA R8 qualifies for vintage. It is just 25 years old. I also have my very first receiver, a 1970 md. 5550, JVC that might though.

Hmm,vintage electronics......

:banana:Just like everyone else on here,I love my vintage electronics.I love the build quality of the mid 70's to mid 80's.Not to say that there are not quality built units today,just love the detailed sound from the earlier gear!

That said here is a list of some of my currently-owned favorites;
1.SAE TWO A14 integrated amp(140wpc)w/T14 tuner,Nakamichi 581 cassette,Sansui Compu-8 eq,Technics SL-Q2 turntable w/ADC MK 2 needle/cart and Realistic Mach-2 speakers.
2.Nakamichi SR4A integrated amp/tuner(60wpc),w/Nakamichi CassetteDeck 2,Onkyo DX-C106 CD changer,Panasonic SL-S330 portable CD and 2 pair of ADS 300 bookshelf speakers.
3.NAD 7155 integrated amp/tuner(55wpc),w/NAD 5200 CD player,Boston VR20 towers,Realistic Minimus-7(Japan)bookshelfs,Sansui RG-900R compu/eq/spectrum analyzer,Denon DR-M20 cassette and a ADC 1600 DD turntable,w/RED ED needle/cart.
4.Sony STR-DE725(100wpc/0.09%thd) digital surround sound w/Infinity Primus matched speaker group,(PS-8 sub/250 rears/360 fronts/C25 center)
And there is my Threshold amp fetish,lol.But that is for another day..........

Last edited:
I discovered this site when trying to find technical information on some of my Hafler gear. I also jumped in with some questions prior to inroducing myself.

I still have my original "Hi Fi" gear bought in the early 1970s, a Nikko NR-1019 receiver and Sylvania AS-225A speakers,

In the couple years I have been acquiring vintage Polk speakers and Hafler equipment as well as some new pieces.

The vintage equipment includes a set of Polk RTA-12B, RTA-12C and SDA-2B speakers. My main 2-channel system is currently a Hafler DH-110 preamp, DH-160 equalizer, and DH-500 power amp and the Polk SDA-2B speakers. My "man cave" system is a Hafler DH-101 preamp, DH-200 power amp and the Sylvania AS-225A speakers.

The Nikko NR-1019 is currently powering some Sony speakers on my work bench.

I really like the lack of attitude on this forum as well.

Back
Top Bottom