Welcome to the Solid State Forum!

New kid on block

SO, I am getting back into music after having raised five kids...now I can afford some things but not too much. I have a couple TTs (Micro Seiki, Technics), Boston Acoustics speaks (4 ohms) and a borrowed amp/tuner (Sherwood AD220B/TD120B).

I used to have a Harman/Kardon 330C and loved it until it was stolen years ago. I would like to start building a new system but can't afford TOTL stuff, sadly. I'm going to eventually give it to my son (drummer) who is into vinyl (his band is going to press one).

So the question is replacing the amp/tuner with a simple receiver. Am I wrong to remember the HK330C as a decent, albeit low end, system? What would be a good step up from that? I always liked Yamaha gear as it could drive speaks pretty well. I will not be listening at heavy volumes but will be driving at most two sets of speaks at a time. Plus, can I drive a set of 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers at the same time without overheating the amp?

It's going to be excellent getting back into the hobby. I am desperately searching the house for the old vinyl!

Excellent site!

Hi There

My name is Logan and I am new to the AK Forums.
I have a love with vintage audio that all started 6 years ago when I came across a NZ assembled vintage Pye Prolab, when I was a year 9 student at Lynnfield College in AKL NZ, and belonged to the Electronics Club that ran within the college during lunchtimes. Over half that stereo is now long gone with a few bits in my cupboard from when it was throwen into the skip a year ago.
I have a fascination with all NZ made Vintage audio especially the beautiful sounding Pye Prolabs. I look forward to getting to know the forum and the people on it
Thank you for your time.
:smoke::smoke::music::music::smoke::smoke:

Good day to you gentlemen. I have been cruising thru every thread I can find relating to my Pioneer A-9 problem. I recently got off my tired old duff and started the repair of my rt 909 and thought I might as well drive it thru my A-9 instead of my sony av unit. I put the A-9 away about 22 years ago for a over load protection problem and haven't touched it in that period. Now that I opened it up,I'm kinda curious where the problem is. I don't see any tell-tale signs such as a flash mark or smell( which I'm certain would have dissipated by now. Is there maybe a thermistor or other device maybe internal to the "coffee can " as I call it ? Is this unit worth putting in a shop for repair? According to the rear cover its 580 watts. Any advice or suggestions where to go from here?

Hi my name is Viktor, I'm collecting some analog solid state stuff. I own two AKAI reel to reels, some Kenwood amps and cassette decks (I like wooden cases). I need a help or may be a good advice with some of my devices (AKAI GX 4000D and Kenwood KA9100). Pls advice where may I post my questions in detail. Thank you for your time.

Hi my name is Viktor, I'm collecting some analog solid state stuff. I own two AKAI reel to reels, some Kenwood amps and cassette decks (I like wooden cases). I need a help or may be a good advice with some of my devices (AKAI GX 4000D and Kenwood KA9100). Pls advice where may I post my questions in detail. Thank you for your time.

The best place to post your questions for reel to reel players would be in the "Tape" forum. Your Kenwood questions should go in the "Kenwood" forum. Just look at the titles for the various forums and use those as your guides.

Retro

Good day to you gentlemen. I have been cruising thru every thread I can find relating to my Pioneer A-9 problem. I recently got off my tired old duff and started the repair of my rt 909 and thought I might as well drive it thru my A-9 instead of my sony av unit. I put the A-9 away about 22 years ago for a over load protection problem and haven't touched it in that period. Now that I opened it up,I'm kinda curious where the problem is. I don't see any tell-tale signs such as a flash mark or smell( which I'm certain would have dissipated by now. Is there maybe a thermistor or other device maybe internal to the "coffee can " as I call it ? Is this unit worth putting in a shop for repair? According to the rear cover its 580 watts. Any advice or suggestions where to go from here?

Hello, welcome to AudioKarma. We do have a "Pioneer" forum, and some very helpful people there, I would suggest posting your questions there.

Retro

Just use the listing bar below the quick reply message and you can forum jump to other forums.

Anyway, Welcome to AK new members!

Hi folks

Just thought I'd say hello. I've been futzing around with old audio gear for awhile now, buying up 1970s era equipment that I lusted after when I was a teenager. I have a EE degree from long ago, and have tinkered with electronics since junior high school, but am a bit rusty (just like the gear). Current projects:

• Sansui AU-217II amp - have already replaced most of the electrolytics (the rest are on order) and am currently trying to chase down a scratchy noise in the right channel. Have eliminated most of the pots and switches as potential culprits, with a short list of other ideas for things to look at. (bias pots? power supply connections? speaker relay?) I have to put this on hold for a few weeks.
  • Technics SA-5460 receiver - have owned this since I was 15. Still works but needs a tuneup.
  • Sansui SE-7 equalizer - works but has an annoying hum.

Also have a pair of Technics SB-X30s and a pair of Technics SB-7000As, both of which I'm really happy with. Then a Technics SL-5 turntable (bought on eBay a couple of years back and adjusted it) and an SL-23 turntable which I've modified to be able to run at 78rpm (adjustable). I mostly use the turntables to rip vinyl - I like cleaning up vintage recordings and using them to DJ swing dances - but occasionally it's nice to listen directly to vinyl.

At some point I'll want a bigger amplifier, though maybe I should take time to let my neighbors get used to what I have before doing that.

I'm fairly new to the whole vintage stereo scene in general. I've never owned anything post-1988, but it's always been a budget issue rather than a choice. I just recently picked up an Akai AM-2950 that someone in my building was throwing away. Set it up and it sounds amazing, but it's definitely seen better days. I'm hoping to put it under the knife in the next couple of months and give it at least a thorough cleaning. Then I wouldn't mind tracking down some other components to complement it.

Newbie with old Onkyo TX-8500

Just signed up after a web search for info on a Onkyo TX 8500.

I have had this baby from new, yes I am that OLD, and this morning Mr. TX 8500 died.

It survived two ex-wives. I may lose #3 if I can't get him back on his feet.

I read that some folks actually have this amp, so maybe here is where I find others who know about it.

For a few years now my Yamaha RX-V2500 has provide the input from new digital world to the beast which has happily run 6 speaker pairs matched through a Niles SLV-6 matching control unit.

The old beat has the horses!

new to AudioKarma, this is my second post.

after the class T/D interlude i try to retrieve the last 3 years "lost"; already bought the marantz 1060, the mcintosh 6100, mcintosh c28 + 2505, i'd like to buy:

- pioneer 8500 or 9100 or 9800
- sansui 7500 or 9500
- sansui 888

which you suggest?
mine speakers set are:

- full range saba greencone 8" open baffle(used with the class T/D);
- magnepan magneplanar SMG;
- sansui SP series;
- AR 4;
- advent large speakers.

and i looking for the dynaco a-25.
maybe any set is right for the amplifiers.

i live in europe (220 volt) but i buy from united states(120 volt).
i need the transformer to use the amplifier like the pioneer: the 8500, for example, consumes 240 W. which type of power transformer i need?

thanks all for the suggest and help.

Newbee here. I currently own; Sony 6050 & Pioneer SX3700 recievers with issues. Bose 201 III & 301 II, Invinity, & KLH Speakers, Harmon Kardon Turntable, and 12+ milk crates of vinyl. I have my manuals thank you. From the threads I have read to date it looks like my recievers will need a recap. I currently am trying to relearn playing guitar, and am in the process of restoring a VW Bug convertable. Yeah I'm spread pretty thin. Thank you for the inforation posted here. Yes search is our best friend.

Hi folks,
Also new on the site, and with a fascination for vintage audio. Besides a few TT's and c-decks, I like my Rotel RA-2020 with tuner and equaliser, and have a sweet spot for my little Tandberg receiver (TR-2030). It plays as if a lot bigger...

New Guy in Town

:music:Hi fellow/sister audiophiles. Been a member less than a week. I am a retired member of the USAF living in San Antonio, Texas. I presently am in the process of re-arranging my system, so it is presently out of commission. Much of my early gear was cheap stuff interspersed with some Heathkit and Dynaco equipment. My first set of speakers were bought in Nam and were made by Coral. Later I had a Quad system using a Heathkit AM/FM Tuner-Preamp with the matching 60w/c amp for the rear channels driving a set of Bose 501s and a Dynaco 400 driving a set of Bose 901 series 2 for the front. My present system when I finish it will be composed of the following equipment: Infinity IRS GAMMA speakers driven by a pair of Crown SA2 amps. The preamp is a Crown DL2 with a Crown EQ2 equalizer. The CD/DVD player is a Sony DVP-S7000 and the Turntable is a Kenwood KD-600 with a Shure/SME III tonearm with a Shure V-15 type V cartridge. This system is probably not up to 'standards' but it fills my needs as a 60 year old phart.

Greetings to All

This is my first post to this fantastic forum. I have read and enjoyed several posts in the past months and look forward to sharing my love of all things audio. I had a sound business in the Northeast for 20+ years back in the day (70's & 80's). Although my eyes and soldering skills aren't what they used to be I still enjoy tinkering with the old stuff. There's something about bringing an old piece of gear back to life that just can't be beat. I look forward to the interaction here in this forum. The Best To All! Eddie

newbie with few old equipment

hi everyone
i just registered yesterday and was so glad i found this forum site
i have few old stuffs bought from (we call it here "surplus stores") selling stuffs like the trift stores in U.S.
i'm so happy to know that there are lots of people around the world who has same interest as mine like acquiring lots of audio equipment especially vintage ones
i just love hunting vintage items and feel so good when i get something that is well designed from yesteryears and still works so well at present
i hope i can share and learn as well to this forum
cheers...

I can get around inside a tube amplifier and can usually fix what's ailing it but I'd like to see a separate "sticky" thread on repairing older solid state equipment - what's likely to fail, what needs to be replaced after 30 or 40 years and what equipment one needs to work on old solid state units. I like this thread but am like a bull in a china shop when it comes to repairing older solid state equipment. I wonder if some of the guys or gals who can get around inside older solid state equipment that needs repairs could give us tips on what typically goes wrong and what to look for and what to measure, as well as what to use to measure to insure you're not replacing parts that are not likely to fail for that many more years. Tube radio equipment doesn't have places you can go to to get lessons on how to repair some of those old circuits and I hope we don't have that happen in 30 or 40 years on solid state equipment. I wonder if a group of technically knowledgable folks could give us neophytes to solid state some lessons on how to fix old broken units.

Hopefully I'm not asking too much as I know that each line of equipment used its own special mix of herbs and spices but I'd like to know how to put together a small cabinet full of the things that one needs to make the cakes and pies taste good again, which I know they are capable of if one has the necessary knowledge. Passing down the knowledge will insure that future generations won't throw more good solid state in the trash bin.

Back
Top Bottom