Welcome to the Solid State Forum!

I'm new to this site and didn't introduce myself yesterday before posting. Sorry about that.
As far as equipment I still have my original turntable, a Thorens TD-160C.
Heathkit AR1500A that I assembled back in 1974
Nakamichi 482Z tape deck
dbx 3bx expander
Tandberg 3008A Preamp
Polk Audio SDAIIB Speakers
A recent vintage Sony Blue Ray/DVD player.

I've been geeking out on Analog electronics since I marvelled at the glow of vacuum tubes. Did a stint fixing computer monitors and am now in computer sofware support.
Designed and built some audio amp boards to put into an old Crown DC150 Chassis with the help of High Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual by G. Randy Sloane.

Hi,

I've been a lurker for about a year on this site, now a member. Computer techie by trade, but now (last 10 years) project management and operations in IT. I love quality and have a knack for finding it, even if I can't afford it. Recently got into the vintage game when I did a search for Mac computers (I love restoring these beasts) and found a McIntosh MAC1900. I had always wanted a McIntosh system, and after auditioning, bought it as a birthday present to myself. That was the start. My girlfriend calls me OCD, and after the obsession I have gone through in trying to find the "sounds" I heard growing up in the 70s (Quad, Nakamichi, Pioneer, and Marantz), I believe it. I have owned a Marantz 1530 receiver, NAD 7240 PE receiver, Sony Home theatre something not too memorable in the mid 90s, back to a NAD 7240 found at a garage sale for $5, then a NAD C320BEE integrated, added to it a Yamaha HTR-6080 and started collecting bookshelf speakers from local garage sales, and finally added a second HTR, a Denon 2309ci. I had bought a pair of Bose 8.2 speakers in 1987, just before my eldest daughter was born thinking I wouldn't have much money for a while after that. I was right, and it has only been since 2008 that I have started investing in audio equipment again. I paired the NAD C320BEE with the Bose, and it sounded pretty good in my living room. Then I got the McIntosh. That changed everything. I saw a huge benefit in pairing the MAC with the Bose, but after a week, realized I had to upgrade speakers. I sold the NAD and the Bose, and bought a pair of Celestion Ditton 66s. These sounded much better, but there was always a harshness to the highs that drove me crazy! I started buying different kinds of speakers. Celestion Ditton 44s, which I liked better than the 66s, Philips bookshelves (beautiful teak all around enclosure but only 40 Watts), Altec Lansing Model 5s, Sansui LM220, Klipsch Tangent T10s, Paisley AE400s, Tannoy Mercury MX4s (which sounded great, but not in the only place available to them in my living room), and finally Kef Concerto's. I was still hearing that harshness in the highs even with the Ditton 44s and the Kefs, so I started on the receiver. I upgraded to a recently restored Sansui 9090, which was better, but not good enough. Last week, I found a Kenwood Supreme 500, and suddenly I knew I was on the right track.

I believe that the reason the highs were harsh on my Dittons and Kefs are because the receivers were not providing enough current for these 4 ohm speakers. The 66s were the harshest because they need the most current. The 44s and the kefs are pretty close. I am in the process of following the DIYAudio thread to restore my Ditton 44 crossovers and am looking forward very much to hearing them paired with the Supreme 500. I need eye candy and ear candy to be really happy.

Interestingly, throughout this process, I have found that I hear differently from a lot of others. I hear the tiniest bit of distortion and have to turn down the amp well before most others would. Benefit is I have never blown speakers or amps, but I think it also translates into needing better equipment to make me happy.

Nice to be on this forum. I am always brought here when searching out reviews and specifications on the various equipment I research. I am also very much enjoying meeting all the great collectors locally. A lot of really nice people with some really awesome equipment!

Hi,
n00b here. I made a faux pas by posting before introduction. My bad.

A good friend here got me back into HiFi, as well as convinced me to join AK.

I have a very basic setup: an H/K amp, Pio TT,Grado cans. Oh and a recent acquisition - Bellari tube pre. At the moment, its something to get my feet wet with.

Hi all-

I'll just keep this short and sweet for now and read a lot. I've had a Marantz 2226 receiver along with a Marantz 6350 turntable for the past 10 years. I just picked up a Marantz 2250b last weekend for $50 (yay me!) but it's going to need some help. Otherwise it works for now. So anyway I'm just going to watch and read and see what I can learn about fixing the 2250b and enlighten myself up on other stuff. It sounds silly, but lately my 'lazy' thing to do has been to plug in my iPad and run Pandora on the auxilary on the Marantz so I can do my thing and not touch it for HOURS!

Anyway...

Off to learn...

Thanks.

Travis

Newb

I'm 40 and live in NH. I kept stumbling on AK so much in Internet searches that I've finally decided to join. I'm into vintage receivers primarily and only discovered them over the last year. In that time I've managed to acquire a Kenwood KR-9600, Pioneer SX-1050, and Sansui 9090DB. I love these things! Still on the hunt for a Marantz, Technics, Yamaha and whatever strikes my fancy to add to the pile. Thanks to everyone for the information I've gathered as a lurker. Now I'm looking forward to participating.

like gus rattling chains in the attic, i emerge

hi, all. today i figured that two years of openly haunting these forums and at least two more sneaking in to surreptitiously pick your brains was enough. my name's lautream (in here, anyway), i live in michigan, and i have a problem with old things that make noise. be it a thin piece of vibrating wood, a skin being smacked, or a paper cone pushing air... i don't really care, i love them all.

so, hello everybody and thank you for the years worth of information and, hopefully, the years to come. here are my current listening-enabling-devices, in case you'd care to commiserate about a particular subject. happy to be here.

marantz 1040 integrated amplifier
dynaco pat-4 stereo preamp
elac miracord 40h turntable
yamaha tc-511s stereo casette deck
sony scph-1001 playstation
apple macbook

panasonic sa-6500 stereo receiver
garrard model 70 mkII turntable

magnavox tube console stereo
magnavox/collaro custom turntable

advent loudspeakers (large)
adc 303ax loudspeakers
realistic minimus 7 (less)loudspeakers

Long time lurker...

Hey everyone! My name's Andrew, I've been reading the forums here for a good while (a few years at least) and thanks to all the great information I've been able to build up a great vintage system for next to nothing -- Technics SL-1300, Harmon/Kardon 430, Dynaco A-25s, all acquired for a grand total of $10. Each required a bit of cleaning and work to get running but thanks to AK it was easy! :smoke:

Seriously, the amount of help and knowledge here without attitude is absolutely priceless. So thanks everybody!

G'day,

I just stumbled upon this fantastic forum a few weeks ago when I started looking at picking up a (or some!) vintage equipment for my audio wants and desires.

I'm 27, from California, and currently visiting Oz, and am living down in Adelaide at the moment, and I really need to say that stereo gear (on the lower end of the monetary spectrum) is VERY hard to find.

Yeah, basically I'm a huge headphone/audiophile type of person. I mostly want vintage gear for how well it can drive headphones rather than awesome speakers or "big" sound in that way. However, I would also like the headroom or overhead to branch out into other areas such as adding bookshelf speakers, or surround, etc.

That's about it for introductions and yeah, glad to be here.

Michael

harman kardon cr 300

Hi all,

I'm picking up a Harman Kardon cr 300 later this week which is advertised to be in very good condition. From my research I see it is the first solid state receiver put out by Harman Kardon and maybe the first solid state receiver ever put out. Anyone got any info on this receiver for me? How many watts it is, etc. Thanks and I'll get back with a post as soon as I get time to play with it. Cheers.

Hi All,

I have Sansui 5000LA receiver for which I changed all electrolytic and now its amplifier section is working excellent but don't know whats wrong with FM. It was unused for decade or so as was told to me by a old man from whom I bought it, its FM section has FET and it would go bad if they are unused for longer period is it correct?

I have another one Sherwood S-9000A, one of the early Solid State Amplifier, from outer appearance it looks like tube amp and it has two output transformer like it is there in tube amp. If any one has service manual/ circuit diagram can help me rebuild this beauty.

Thank You!
Sachin D

Hello all,
I'm a new member after a sweet craigslist find last weekend. Now I have a lovely MidMod Zenith stereo console that needs some work. Cleaning and refinishing for the wood, but the big question is restoration or upgrading of the audio components. (I'll move to the appropriate sub-forum thread for such questions.)

Saying Hi =]

Hey all!

I would like to introduce my self: I'm Sam therefore my nickname - Samishere
As a kid i always dreamt of "the most awesome very loud sound system..." As i thought back than the bigger the better.. :D

So in this enthusiasm i bought some random stuff which seemed nice back than.... I blew some (well actually most) of them up and bought some new stuff. Anyhow i ended up with the following setup:

Now i ended up with the following setup:

Akai amplifier AM-2800
- Continus power (20Hz-20kHz): 2x80W (8 Ohm)
- Frequenzy: 7Hz-70kHz
- (THD): 0,08%
akai-am-2800-02.jpg

JBL 2Weg Profi Boxen PA 12105K (2 times)
- 250W 8Ohm
- 60 Hz - 20kHz
speakers.jpg
(unknown brand) Bass speaker for in the car
Unknown specs..

Now i've the feeling i finaly have the attitude of building my self a serious system and starting to orientate. There for decided to join this forum.

Attachments

• receiver.jpg
    receiver.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
New Guy

Hello all. Just today I brought home my vintage stereo finds. For 500.00 I picked up a Pioneer SX-828 receiver, Bose 901 speakers w/equalizer and an Era 666 Turntable. My system didn't survive the trip home and I ran into 2 problems right off the bat and hope to gain some guidance here.

Mike

Stepping in to say hello.

Been lurking and reading for quite awhile. Just acquired my second project, a Zenith YT960. Functioning but can use some restoration work. It's the one I've been hunting for quite some time. I've picked up a lot of useful information here and wanted to say thanks to all the posters for that.

Vintage Virgin

Google directed me to Karma almost each and every time I was looking for info, thanks to all posters, so I thought I might as well join. Just started on my second project a Sony HMP-70 music centre.

Hello

I've been on this forum a lot lately as a guest. My KR-4070 was having issues and found some helpful advise (clean and lube switches). Anyway, took all of about 5 minutes and its back running and has my DCM KX 10s sounding great. (Garage / man cave setup) I still need to replace the lamps, which have never worked, but after some research on here it doesn't look too bad.

Through high school and college my KX's were run by a KA-9100 with a KT-413 that my dad gave me and I really enjoyed. Then I decided to "upgrade" to new tech and hated it. Anyway, a friend gave me the KR-4070 and it's cool. I love vintage gear and have been looking for upgrades after seeing all the cool stuff on this forum the last couple days. Partial to Kenwood since that's all I've ever had.

Thanks for the help from all the knowledgeable members!

So, this is where we say hello then.

I’ve had a bad vintage bug for a few years now. Having collected over 50 vintage, and probably another 50 not-so-vintage pieces, I guess it’s only natural that I’ve ended up here.

I’m a fan of Marantz (10 models from the 70’s, including 2 quads 4400 and 4240 and a beautiful cassette deck 5400), quad receivers and amps, British affordable gear (A&R Cambridge, early Cyrus and NAD, Exposure), and the list goes on. I do some restoration works, on my own and with a tech, and I resell some of the pieces I save from the recycle demon to sponsor my hobby. With some exceptions (Marantz 4400 being an obvious one) I focus on pieces that don’t put dents in a budget.

Being EU-based I have some experience with brands and models less common in the US, and I did a lot of comparative listening, so I believe I can contribute here. I will try and post on some pieces I like (or strongly dislike) and some restoration projects. I will probably also seek advice, hell maybe even ask for a manual :)

Well, good to finally join the AK club!

Cheers,

Rafal

i have a set of Klipsch cornwall speakers thet I have loved dearly since 1982 and was recently considering a Mac 1900? any comments on this combo?

Back
Top Bottom