Well, I AIN'T new, but...I'm back.....

@Sandy G my father wasn't a stoic type, and was free with his emotions, but I have to say I was both shocked and touched when he returned from the fields one day, eyes all red.

I asked him what was the matter, and he told me that "Ethel" our Charolais cow who had calved into her 16th year, only producing 2 bulls that whole time, had gotten down and couldn't get up (she was 22). Dad took his pistol and sat with her for about 1 hour, talking soothing to her and thanking her for all she had done for our farm. Then, in as humane a way as possible, he put her down.

It was sad, but very touching. She'd come to the fence and we'd feed her old produce the local grocer would give us for free. She was quite the cow, more a family member than simple stock.
Its really a shame most people nowadays never get to know livestock like us farmboys do, except as that pound of hamburger they just grabbed out of the local Food City.Made friends w/a few bulls along my way, some horses. Never did however w/chickens or pigs. This one gal I knew had a pet pig, but he was bad to bite.We'd put up a steer, fatten him up & then we'd have all kinds of steaks & burgers. Before he got sent to the butcher's, I'd often as not make a pet outta him. Cattle are often as docile as big dogs. PoJo had been a show bull when he was a calf, he apparently liked being "Messed" with. Anyhow, I finally realized when I got to be 10-12 what happened to that little steer I'd spent the fall playing with. Never ate any of that meat again..... I think my dad did that one more time, but ended up giving the meat all away.

You'll get to 50 thousand soon.
My daughter owns a farm. Animals come first. As they should.
I feel like I'm listening to Jerry Clower again.

When I was a little, someone came into my bedroom and took my little globe bank of old coins. I still remember the pain.

'scuse me ... sandy who?

'scuse me again ... I swear it was the dog!

Welcome back Sandy!

A few days (or hours? ;)) in our 'salubrious' company and you'll soon be back to being that ornery, spiteful old cuss we know and love. :D

Back
Top Bottom