Well, I'll be Darned (AU-919)

The one on Ebay is an overseas 220V model from January 1979.

I have two AU-919's, one has a 220V label in the back but it most definitely has binding posts (made July 1980), as does my other one with 120V label from October 79. :screwy:

Well, there ya go Fred. Just when you think it can't happen. :)

Prefer the binding posts myself.

How much do you think this one will go for?

.....Just thinking that the thread about how to read the year of manufacture from the serial number should be a"sticky"....

cheers
Jack

Last edited:
Hi Jack- Yes, a sticky about the s/n code might be a good idea.

As for price, well, the little problem he describes might keep the price in check, then again, the problem might just require a simple cleaning to fix it. Orig box, and rack handles do help.

Based on what I observe in the photo, I think he wouldve been better off readjusting those tone control settings, guess he likes his bass :smilemad:

Regards, B/F

Well, I didn't need it, but couldn't resist it at that price! I'm pretty certain the channel drop out problem is a dirty connected/separated switch. My 819 had the exact symptoms he described until I finally cleaned it. It looks as though the plastic slide cover has never been removed, so that's a good sign. I'll let ya know after I give it a good cleaning.

I might need another GX-5 soon.... :)

RobV

Yep, Congrats RobV! Seems like a really good price as it includes rack handles and original box (gotta be worth at least 50 bucks :p: ). Let us know how you get on with the channel prob and maybe even a review against the AU819. :)

cheers
Jack

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely let you know how it sounds after a good cleaning.

Jack, a comparison is good idea. Maybe even some 'nudie' pics of each for comparison as long as I have it apart. :)

I received the GX-5 rack yesterday.... piss poor packing job. The veneer at the top of one of the sides got quite a bit beat up. :( No bubble wrap around the wood sides. They were just 'wrapped' in cardboard, taped, forming a 'cover' to them. It's a wonder that there wasn't more damage. The base and top were 'floating in foam peanuts, not wrapped or insulated from the sides of the box. Certainly not how I would have packed an item that the seller himself correctly described as 'rare' and 'perfect'. 'I'm not going to leave positve or negative feedback for the guy. I won't ruin his 100+ feedback perfect score, but I won't add to it either. Just figured he knew what he was doing when he said it would be shipped in two boxes.

Take care,
RobV

Hi Rob,

Bummer about the GX5. :( The guy should have known the side pieces being heavy as they are, wrapping them in cardboard was never going to work. :twak: Hope you can do make do with them somehow or repair/refinish them. Fair call on the feedback.

cheers
Jack

The problem that the seller described WAS the connected/separated switch.... :thmbsp: A 1-2 punch of cc & D5 was all it needed. The other controls seem clean and quiet so I didn't touch them.
I did give the AU-919 a good cosmetic cleanup while I had it apart and it looks great as well. Much better than the auction pics indicated. I will post some pics of my own soon.

RobV

Back
Top Bottom