Well Tempered Labs Owners Thread

I was wondering if that was actually a golf ball....

Yep. We have seen quite a few black painted golf balls but there are a few that are simply white. I've been fascinated with that set up for a couple years now. If I wasn't so damn lazy I'd have built one already.

I can't say I've heard a turntable I liked better than the Well Tempered Amadeus GTA at Venice Audio with a Dynavector XX2 on it. I've heard more expensive tables (by maybe 10x over), and tables with more "drive" but none with the combination of strengths of that setup. It makes a pretty convincing argument for not wanting or needing more.

Here's mine. I think its a "Well Tempered Super" but I don't really understand what separates the different older models. It's basically just made me want a Well Tempered Amadeus (as did hearing a Well Tempered Amadeus).

photo5.jpg

I really like multi-plinth designed tables, they look great and also the design reason is very clear....it can be heard (or not)

JohnVF yours does not have the fishing string belt?

I really like multi-plinth designed tables, they look great and also the design reason is very clear....it can be heard (or not)

JohnVF yours does not have the fishing string belt?

That is not the contemporary Well Tempered table. Similar concept, different execution. Please check out the website for the latest products. Mike Pranka is the U.S. distributor of both WT tables and Dynavector products.

http://www.welltemperedlab.net/welltemperedlab/

http://www.dynavector-usa.com/

No, mine's old. The thread-belt came later. And that's not the right belt, really, but the right belt is nearly impossible to track down I've heard. I have contacted Mike Pranka about getting a kit to modify my table to the thread-drive but it was sold out and he didn't know when more would be in, and then I haven't heard since or tried to do much. My table has a motor issue (I now have two motors, with different problems, so somewhere in all of it, I'll get it 100% functioning) but I've had it running long enough to say that it's a very nice sounding table. I think the Amadeus is better (haven't heard the Simplex or Versalex).

I really just want to buy a current one. I'm not sure the sonic differences between the models, I'd like to compare them.

No, mine's old. The thread-belt came later. And that's not the right belt, really, but the right belt is nearly impossible to track down I've heard. I have contacted Mike Pranka about getting a kit to modify my table to the thread-drive but it was sold out and he didn't know when more would be in, and then I haven't heard since or tried to do much. My table has a motor issue (I now have two motors, with different problems, so somewhere in all of it, I'll get it 100% functioning) but I've had it running long enough to say that it's a very nice sounding table. I think the Amadeus is better (haven't heard the Simplex or Versalex).

I really just want to buy a current one. I'm not sure the sonic differences between the models, I'd like to compare them.

10-4.....thanks for explaning.

That is not the contemporary Well Tempered table. Similar concept, different execution. Please check out the website for the latest products. Mike Pranka is the U.S. distributor of both WT tables and Dynavector products.

http://www.welltemperedlab.net/welltemperedlab/

http://www.dynavector-usa.com/

Yes sir...and Mr.Pranka is here in good old St.Louis. DYNAVECTOR U.S.A
8116 Gravois Rd / St. Louis / MO 63123...but the strange thing about it...I know of only two stores that sell Dynavector and only one sells both Dynavector and WTT's.

Good stuff!

Seriously.

The manual says about a third of the golf ball as a starting point. Dampen to taste. I have about 1/10 of the ball submerged and it is working wonderfully. A little less damped which leads to more adventurous cueing but a quicker and more responsive sound. I understand Mike Pranka the U.S. WT distributor runs similarly.

I have my ball sunk in about quarter into the goop. I also have my arm just a bit tail down. If I remember, I'll take a pic with the arm next to an index card to show the VTA I'm using.

I have my ball sunk in about quarter into the goop. I also have my arm just a bit tail down. If I remember, I'll take a pic with the arm next to an index card to show the VTA I'm using.

I'm using a Van den Hul tonearm spirit level and have the VTA completely level.

8992_0.jpg

Here are a few snaps of mine. I've got Audio Technica feet under the table and sorbothane under the wood slab. Works better than the the stock feet since my table's the older WTA with the solid rubber feet.

BTW, I like doing about 1/3 ball dunk. :D

WTA1_zps06f452d9.jpg

WTA2_zpsc9be361f.jpg

WTA3_zps86b43b5f.jpg

Nice pics. If you are using the stock mat I would recommend trying the Auditorium 23 mat. It works like it was custom made for this turntable. I'm guessing that you have already tried lowering the cup and prefer the ball 1/3 dunked. If you haven't I would suggest giving it a try. Also wonder if squash balls (halved) would work well as footers. Love the pics and thanks for sharing.

I hadn't really noticed before today that the new generation WTs have a platter mat and don't have a clamp.

:scratch2:

BTW, I have no balls.

(I have a disc)

Back
Top Bottom