Well Tempered Labs Owners Thread

Hey all. Has anyone ever had the head shell mounting plate come loose? Mine did tonight and I discovered that it wasnt set right any way. After a bit of research Ive now tightened it at 19 degrees which is more acute than it was but have yet to have a decent listen.
Craig.

I found quite a bit of debate/info on the web re the headshell angle. Bill the designer sets them at 19 degrees but some owners arent too comfortable with this. When I bought mine it had been out on long term demo with a guy who eventually decided to return it because he couldnt get to grips with the arm. He was an engineer of some sort and went with a Rega P9 instead, apparently because he "understood" traditional type arms better.
My guess is he had a bit of a tweak with the WT arm and got cold feet.
Sounds very good after a brief listen at 19 degrees.
Craig

Just a follow up. I've re checked the 19degree headshell angle and found I was a couple of degrees out so have set it via a 180degree protractor and am now floored by the sounds I am hearing. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. No debate from me over the 19 degree angle. Spot on!.

Simplex in new home on Box rack!

P1010903_zps543fac46.jpg

Can't see much of the Box rack Art, but I obviously love the Simplex! What I can see of the rack looks good too! I certainly love the work that goes into those racks as well as the Devore cabinets. Just nice, clean build and finishes. Enjoy! Tim

Can't see much of the Box rack Art, but I obviously love the Simplex! What I can see of the rack looks good too! I certainly love the work that goes into those racks as well as the Devore cabinets. Just nice, clean build and finishes. Enjoy! Tim

Couple more rack pics in the Brio-R thread.

Greetings all! I am proud to say that I have recently joined the Well Tempered family. Just finished setting up the turntable yesterday, and it sounds great!

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 61
I've owned a WT classic since 1995. I bought it used! It still plays perfectly and sounds amazing! Right now I'm using a NOS Blue Point Special. Once I got the azimuth and VTA just right - wow - much better than I though a BP special could sound. The VTA is really critical with this cartridge (well most cartridges that is).

I've not yet experienced the newer "golf ball" versions, but I'm sure they also have the "magic" that WTL tables are capable of. I also had a WT reference with the carbon fiber arm for a while - what a nice rig! It really sang with a Cardas Heart cartridge. Of course, I needed some cash at one point, and the WT classic is good enough for some very serious musical enjoyment. Whoever purchased my WTL Reference back in 2003, I hope you are still enjoying it :music:

New to me Classic(?)

Here is my new addition. I have restrung the tonearm and getting the alignment and damping closer and closer. I was very surprised at the difference I heard after restringing. I've gone from thinking this is very nice to thinking wow.

It paid off big time for me to start from scratch on the tonearm setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 43
Brining up an old thread with this:

00909_lxYdvvKQuJk_600x450.jpg

00n0n_1i6Hl6nLQjb_600x450.jpg

00m0m_9tDutUQkKIu_600x450.jpg

I know these pics are terrible... Anyone know what model this is and what it might be worth? I found it on craigslist on my search for an American made turntable...

I may fire this thread up over the coming weeks. I'm about to take delivery of a Nagoaka MP500 and will put it on the classic table. I think the compliance is OK but not ideal. I'm going to try and strip back the arm, replace the silicone and fishing line....... Wish me luck I have the hands of a stonemason........:)

Hello,
Newb to the thread... but not to AK or audio.

Original owner of an Original WTT/WTA, bought in 1988.

No pics as of this moment, but I'll be chiming in on the thread when I get to working on it.
Not that it really needs all that much...
It was my main table for many many years...
(never really felt the need for anything else, and haven't heard anything better, tho haven't heard EVERYthing out there either)

I'll fix the little niggling things.. one big ouch...... pretty 'er up............... and I'd like to see what "upgrades" do..
IS there a next level??
Of course, finding out what the upgrades ARE, is the first step..
I've known of a few for a very long while now... but most are long gone.
I just couldn't justify the expense, since I didn't really find anything wrong with it in the first place...
I DO acknowledge that it does offer a certain kind of "presentation"... One that I'm comfortable with...

Btw..... some Gorgeous tables in this thread!!!! You should all be very proud..
Also BTW.... I'm glad I finally found a dedicated WT thread!!!
(Just hope some of you are still out there)

Greg

Lucky me, about a year ago I found a reasonably well preserved Monster Alpha-2, sans cantilever, in my audio stuff. I've been carrying it around for about 25 years or so. Anyway, Soundsmith was able to repair it using the ruby cantilever/Line Contact Stylus combo. This cartridge on the WT Classic is very very nice :) The beauty of the WT design is that you can really adjust it to be optimal for a wide range of cartridges, and it sounds so very good :)

Back
Top Bottom