Well Tempered Labs Owners Thread

WTSimplexModded_01.jpeg

Here's my "Complex"! I bought the Simplex plinth off eBay with no arm or platter, just a bearing and motor. I designed and built the rest, with a friend 3d printing some of the parts for me - headshell, ball cap and silicone pot. My Complex uses a WTRP bearing, necessitating the need for the lower base. I have another arm lift being printed. The acrylic cover is a new addition from www.betterdisplaycases.com that, while a touch tall (6"), fits a Simplex 15" x 15" plinth nicely and it was quite affordable
https://www.betterdisplaycases.com/...display-case-medium-rectangle-box-15-x-15-x-6.

Better Display Cases is veteran owned and operated. I have no affiliation with Better Display Cases - I'm just a satisfied customer. I hope it's okay to mention them. The cover came very well made and packed securely for delivery.

Last edited:
Well, might as well resurrect this thread. I had been using a VPI Classic for a while and quite liked it. But it's a beast - the plinth is almost two feet long, making it a hulking presence in our living room. I also felt it was a little on the "dead" side acoustically in my system. I had been curious about Well Tempered turntables since running into an first edition Simplex on a Japanese auction Web site while living in Tokyo. Didn't win the auction, but my curiosity was piqued. Last month I finally decided to try one out and called a few dealers asking about a Simplex MkII.

While selling the Classic I found a guy who offered his used Well Tempered Amadeus for the same amount as a new Simplex. Great. I bought the Amadeus for the same amount I sold the Classic for. Took delivery and was wowed by the sound quality. Sounded much more alive than the VPI.

Shortly after receiving the WTA, a dealer belatedly returned my call re: the Simplex. He told me he had a Versalex floor model he could sell for 2/3 of MSRP. I figured, Why not? Better to nip the upgrade-itis in the bud if there was a chance to score a used table. I could try to flip the WTA, sell a few things and pony up a couple hundred more for the Versalex. Got all that merch sold and told the dealer I'd take it.

Then the dealer told me he had bad news - they found a slight scratch on the Versalex plinth. He offered to cut the price on it even further. So I agreed and purchased it for the same amount I sold the WTA for. Not bad for some wheeling and dealing. There's actually two scratches, both only a few millimeters long and one nicely hidden under the plinth. As you can see from the photos, the other isn't even noticeable from a foot away. A quick brush with a walnut stain pen and it probably won't be noticeable at all.

I set it up the table this afternoon. Wife saw it and said, "Oh, that looks cool." She even asked what brand it was. In our 10+ years of marriage, this is the first (positive) comment she's ever made about a turntable I've owned. Definitely the only time she's ever stood in front of the 'table and asked who made it. She's got an engineering background - I figure the engineering nerds dig the Well Tempered tables.

IMG_20190426_170547.jpg IMG_20190426_170101.jpg

Last edited:
My bucket list table for 35yrs, finally scored one for a song. Here it is as delivered with the Sumiko Black Pearl installed. The Sumico was replaced with a schveet NOS Grace and is really singing.

The platter was listing a bit when I received the table, had to repair two of the Delrin bearing points in the well, and adjust them to make the spindle straight. The platter is now absolutely level with the plinth top.

I have a number of tables, this is a keeper and I can now remove it from my bucket list. It lives up to everything I thought it would, easily the best table I've ever played a record on.

20200505_232003.jpg
20200510_014520.jpg
20200510_014729.jpg
20200510_014439.jpg

Phew. This thread is on course for one new WT table per year at this rate! I still have the Versalex and love it - haven't even thought of a new turntable since using it.

My bucket list table for 35yrs, finally scored one for a song. Here it is as delivered with the Sumiko Black Pearl installed. The Sumico was replaced with a schveet NOS Grace and is really singing.

The platter was listing a bit when I received the table, had to repair two of the Delrin bearing points in the well, and adjust them to make the spindle straight. The platter is now absolutely level with the plinth top.

I have a number of tables, this is a keeper and I can now remove it from my bucket list. It lives up to everything I thought it would, easily the best table I've ever played a record on.

What model is that?

Oh. One of those square motors. :beatnik:

Anyone have pictures of the Delrin bearing points in the well showing how thick they are? One of mine had fallen off, and in attempting to remove the (inner well that doesn't exist) I knocked another off. Below is a copy of my post in the thread below.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...ered-audio-thread.898915/page-3#post-13737762

"Have you ever had to adjust your platter bearing? I wanted this table for 35yrs, finally get one a couple of weeks ago.

After listening to it for a while I noticed the platter wasn't sitting level. So I remove the spindle, looked into the well and see one of the Delrin pads had fallen off, DAMN IT.

Of course it's after midnight, can't leave it like this. Go on line to see how to remove the bearing well, supposedly it's two piece. Guy has pictures showing how he was able to lift the inner well just enough to adjust the top two bearing points.

So in trying to remove the inner well I knock another Delrin pad off, SHITE. So I finally come to the conclusion mine looks to be a one piece well. I use a rubber mallet and large socket to drive the well out from the bottom. Oops, forgot the damping cup was full, honey thick synthetic fluid everywhere, now what?

So now I wonder, will super glue hold the Delrin onto the setscrews? Yep, held like a champ, reinstall the two bearing points. Drop the spindle in and adjust the bearing points by eye until the spindle looks straight with the well.

Put the table back together, and will wonders never cease it works great. Platter nice and level with the table, all is good except it's now 3:30AM and I get up at 5:30 lol.

Hope this helps anyone looking in with a similar issue. I've contacted Dynavector about getting replacement bearing contacts, the Delrin pads look very thin, maybe that's normal? They've left a message with Mr Firebaugh so we'll see how that goes.

Sorry no pictures of the procedure. Planning on making a custom plinth so when that happens I'll take pics of the different parts and installation."

But I'm wondering if my bearing pads are severely worn and wondering what they're supposed to look like so if anyone has pictures I would appreciate seeing them.

Last edited:
Just getting back to adding a turntable to my system. After reading countless positive comments I'm looking to get a Well Tempered unit.
Budget dictates a used unit and I'm trying to figure out which might be the sounding. I live 100s of miles from any audio dealers so I don't have the opportunity to hear tables, just spin the well and go with my best educated guess.

Would you go with Simplex MKII or Amadeus MK1 for a bit more? I'm seeing Simplex MKII complete with various cartridges. Amadeus seems to be sans cartridge which I was thinking or something like Dynavector 20X2L cartridge.

Then it begs the question, should I hold out for an Amadeus MKII or GTA? Would love to know what you think of the various versions of WT and where the "sweet spot" might be between table versions and potential better cartridge.

My better have is now telling me to just buy what you want so my goal is to take her advice, especially if it will make her happy

Thanks for any thoughts

I'd go for the Amadeus 1. I had an Amadeus briefly and it sounds as good as my Versalex. The Amadeus is a "final turntable" for a lot of folks - I know the Versalex is mine. Looking at the difference between the Amadues mk 1 and mk 2, I think the only real difference is the tonearm. But when I went from the Amadeus mk1 to Versalex, which has the newer tonearm, I didn't notice that much sonic difference. The Mk 2 tonearm definitely looks nicer - the golf ball is tucked away under a metal cap - but it's still using the same golf ball / silicon bath formula.

I've tried Denons, Grados, Ortofons and Grace cartridges on my Versalex. I preferred Grados, but you can't really go wrong with whatever brand for which you already like the sound signature. But be aware the tonearm is effected by compliance - don't listen to those who say it isn't. A Denon 304 sounded much less dynamic than a 301mk2 did on mine. The Dynavectors are supposed to be perfect fits for the WT tonearms, but I haven't tried one yet. One day I might. The Dynavector and a SoundSmith are the only carts I still have hankering to try on this.

Checking in to say: I switched the Grado woody on the Versalex to a Denon 103r and now a Hana SL.
The Hana is a very, very good match for the tonearm. The Denon 103r sounded nice but didn't have the dynamics I was looking for. The Hana is better in that regard and has a sweeeeeeet mid-bass sound.

Back
Top Bottom