Well Tempered Simplex

I don't know...at the time they had the MM and MC in separate chassis. I have pictures of it so I'll dig those out this weekend.

However, one thing I can say is that the goal of Creek/Epos never changes and the wide open midrange which gets a bit unnatural (though addictive) is always a part of their products. It's what separates Creek and Epos from other brands and is their house sound. As you go up in their model ranges you simply get more refinement in the same house sound. Their mids have always been intoxicating to folks who want to hear everything there is to hear in that frequency range.

Sounds like you had a previous model...this one has been on the market for a few months....yeah mids are nice. I like that fact its got dips...I may have it for a while before moving it....more likely putting it in closet.

I had a Creek in my home at the same time as the Quasar and the Creek is neutral from the bottom through the midrange but seems tilted up from the upper mids on through. Gives it a wide open sound but not as cleanly neutral as the Heed to me. Never heard the Phonomena but have noticed that in general folks don't seem to own it for long before it goes up for sale. Another one to consider is the latest from Dynavector. Also at 1k the latest Pro-Ject is quite adjustable. I really would love to hear that one.

I don't see Phonomena II show up on Audiogon or other used sites.....If you see them let me know. I look all the time and don't see any for sale used, only new.
I have asked all the AKers that use the Phonomena II for their impressions and all of them praise its performance.

I don't see Phonomena II show up on Audiogon or other used sites.....If you see them let me know. I look all the time and don't see any for sale used, only new.
I have asked all the AKers that use the Phonomena II for their impressions and all of them praise its performance.

Audiogon is a virtual ghost town compared to how it used to be. That is one place where a lot of those Musical Surroundings phono amps would turn up. Now not much of anything shows up there. Anyone who remembers what Agon used to be like knows what I mean.

Last time I tried to buy from audiogon last year....the one and only time, I purchased a Rogue phono amp....sent guy money....he took it said he would put Rogue on UPS the next day. Well next day I got another email saying he put money back in PP...and not giving me amp...said he found a guy...his old dealer whom he purchased it from and was selling back too him for more money. I stay away from Audiogon....I was lucky to get money back. Art...just got in from work, listening to our girl Shirley Horn....sounding great through the Creek...mid range as you expressed, but no tipped up upper ranges...just as its on the recording....I think you have this one..."Violets For Your Furs".

Audiogon is a virtual ghost town compared to how it used to be. That is one place where a lot of those Musical Surroundings phono amps would turn up. Now not much of anything shows up there. Anyone who remembers what Agon used to be like knows what I mean.

So then you don't know where they showed up for sale quickly after someone bought it new? There is a Dynavector 75 there that you talk about.....let me know when you see one and where.
Thanks

Last time I tried to buy from audiogon last year....the one and only time, I purchased a Rogue phono amp....sent guy money....he took it said he would put Rogue on UPS the next day. Well next day I got another email saying he put money back in PP...and not giving me amp...said he found a guy...his old dealer whom he purchased it from and was selling back too him for more money. I stay away from Audiogon....I was lucky to get money back. Art...just got in from work, listening to our girl Shirley Horn....sounding great through the Creek...mid range as you expressed, but no tipped up upper ranges...just as its on the recording....I think you have this one..."Violets For Your Furs".

I do have that one. I doubt you would hear it if it were tipped up on that one...:scratch2:

The Creek really makes sense especially with the 2M Black. Both have a lot of detail in the midrange and the extra energy that the 2M series has in that region will be nicely balanced by the wide open yet somewhat recessed mids on the Creek. Creek products are very good at exposing detail around vocalists so that you hear all of the sound that surrounds the voice. It's a very different sound. At either end of that open midrange is where you find the most detail from 2M's, should be quite synergistic. Especially with the Black as it is the most refined of the bunch. Would probably be a nice match for the Blue as well.

So then you don't know where they showed up for sale quickly after someone bought it new? There is a Dynavector 75 there that you talk about.....let me know when you see one and where.
Thanks

Yes and I believe I said so. Agon is where I have seen most of them. It wasn't this week or last. It was when I frequented the place. I rarely look there anymore.

I would only look at Dynavector if you could get the lates model and were considering buying a Dynavector cartridge.

The Phonomena is indeed a very good sounding preamp.When compaired to a modified CA 640P I had, it was more open and had a slightly better soundstage.That may not seem like a fair comparison,but at one time,I auditioned a PS Audio GCPH and in head to head tests against the 640P,I could not hear any difference in sound. The only plus for the GCPH was it's remote controlled volume.

Also had a stock Jolida at one time and was not impressed.

The Phonomena does have adjustable volume settings to accomodate different cartridge outputs along with load settings.

The 10x5 arrived last night and I installed it. This morning I set it up and am running a quick record before work and all I can say is...

:thmbsp:

...this is what I'm talkin' about!

More later...just about time to hop in the shower. Today at work we will honor my longest running colleague as she is transferring to another office. We have run neck and neck as the performance leaders in our office and having each other around has made both of us the best we can be...why am I saying this? Because if it weren't so I'd be at home playin' hooky and spinnin's some records...just sayin'!

Cool! any chance of the matching phono amp?

Not soon, that's for sure. Not sure if I'm going to need a seperate phon pre amp for a while. I would urge Catcher 10 to upgrade his cartridge first and see just how much he can milk from the Phono pre amp he has. The NAD phono pre amp has received pretty high praise from a number of folks in the audiophile community.

The 10x5 immediately impressed with the improved timbre/tonality and every bit as extended on the top as the Blue with a warmer and better balanced sound. Tons of PRaT...it's a boogie woogie cartridge with the cojones to rock and the subtlety and grace to pull off Jazz and Classical with aplomb. Truly a great piece. I celebrated yesterday by picking up my previously ordered copy of the 4Men With a Beard Miles Davis Pangea reissue. Also bought the latest Jimi Hendrix as well as a 1/2 speed master of Chicago's greatist (X I think, yes I like that album!).

Not soon, that's for sure. Not sure if I'm going to need a seperate phon pre amp for a while. I would urge Catcher 10 to upgrade his cartridge first and see just how much he can milk from the Phono pre amp he has. The NAD phono pre amp has received pretty high praise from a number of folks in the audiophile community.

The 10x5 immediately impressed with the improved timbre/tonality and every bit as extended on the top as the Blue with a warmer and better balanced sound. Tons of PRaT...it's a boogie woogie cartridge with the cojones to rock and the subtlety and grace to pull off Jazz and Classical with aplomb. Truly a great piece. I celebrated yesterday by picking up my previously ordered copy of the 4Men With a Beard Miles Davis Pangea reissue. Also bought the latest Jimi Hendrix as well as a 1/2 speed master of Chicago's greatist (X I think, yes I like that album!).

You gots stuff going on I see! New toys and music are always exciting times around my house...or should I say my 2 channel room for-sure. I have that 20x2 in my sites...in the not near future.

Jimmy?!?!? Chicago!?!?!?! You almost sound like you from around my era!

Yeah....I think we from the same era. I have you beat by a few.....My favorite Hendrix is Machine gun....live version.

Ha! We are on the same page Art....As my luck would have it last night my water heater started leaking. That trumps my want for a new phono amp...but I am going to see about getting the MP-200, a couple steps up from the MP-110.
I do enjoy the NAD phono, what I like best about it is the black background and nice ST/3D
I can survive for 6 months, never know who will release a new model.

Ha! We are on the same page Art....As my luck would have it last night my water heater started leaking. That trumps my want for a new phono amp...but I am going to see about getting the MP-200, a couple steps up from the MP-110.
I do enjoy the NAD phono, what I like best about it is the black background and nice ST/3D
I can survive for 6 months, never know who will release a new model.

Man do I ever know the "need" factor. One of the reasons I'm not just calling my dealer and ordering a Heed Questar is that my car really needs some work and frankly it gets me to the job so it wins!

10x5 goodness!

003-49_zps379bc342.jpg

2b6d9e3a-d11f-47bd-ba4f-abae41360134_zps4a86aa8a.jpg

Last edited:
Art, you are killing me here! I keep toying with the idea of adding vinyl back to my listening enjoyment. I have been pondering the whole thing and no doubt in my mind if I go this route, it will be a WT Simplex also with Dynavector 10x5, but phono stage is a bit more questionable at this point. This will all feed my Naim Uniti, so obvious choice would be Naim Stageline, but considering the Dynavector P75 as well. Love your pics, keep the updates coming.....maybe I shouldn't be watching this space after all. Enjoy, fantastic looking deck there! Tim

Back
Top Bottom