Well, that made a difference. Check those controls. And a ?

goodolpg

Just an old fart trying to help.
Subscriber
I have an Infinity IL 120s sub.
I used RABOS to set it up.
I do not leave it always "on" (standby), I switch it off and on when I am going to use the system.*
Listening last night, in the dark, to a CD I really like for it's (IMO) good quality and wide range of frequencies, I just feel it's a good "test" CD. While listening I decided to check the sub low pass freq. setting.
Since it was dark, I used a flashlight to check the settings on the back of the sub....imagine my surprise when I see the RABOS is switched "off" and the phase is "0". During setup I preferred phase at "180" and RABOS "on".
Most likely at some time when reaching behind the sub to turn it on or off I accidentally hit those switches and switched them from the up position to the down position.
WELL, that made a difference changing them back to where they were set during the original setup.
Tighter more stable bass.
Simple thing, easy to overlook.

*Having read and seen online more than a few cases of Infinity sub amp board failures makes me think having it powered on only when listening MIGHT help prolong its life?
Or is leaving it powered up and in standby mode ok to do?
That would at least help ensure I don't accidentally change the switch positions in the future.

I'll never forget when I heard the 120s, it was my first real sub and it blew me away. Then, when I acquired a RABOS kit, it just took it to the next level. That's what persuaded me to get an Intermezzo 1.2s. Both great subs for the price.

Anyways, I no longer use them, but when I did, I always left them on. They go to standby (red) when not in use and I believe it was designed like that so you don't have to turn it on and off. Never had any amp issues. Just my thoughts.

Unrelated (except it concerns the sub), last night went to adjust the volume level and found the little numbered wheel was broke in two.
Used a blu-tack type substance to stick the two pieces together, I expect it may fail again sometime.
Never had much luck gluing (hard) plastics, anyone found a glue that will work with hard plastics?

Back
Top Bottom