1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Went fishin' for a Fisher and caught two: 500C & X202C...

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Noreaster, May 15, 2017.

1. Noreaster

Noreaster Well-Known Member

About a week ago I placed an ad on craigslist to sell my Ohm Walsh 2 speakers (they're terrific speakers, but as much as I've enjoyed them, I'm just more into stuff from the 1960s & 70s). When I wrote the ad, I noted that I'd be willing to trade the Ohms for a Fisher 400 or something similar. I figured it was long shot, but it was also pretty clear that I was never going to find one at a yard sale. Well, lo and behold, I got a response from a really nice guy the very next day who had a 500C AND an X202C. Long story short, he stopped over on Sunday and he swapped his Fisher 500C for my Ohms and the X202C for a Marantz 2225 that I had. A win-win in my book! The Fishers will need some work of course but are very, very clean. Here's the pics:

DSCF3074.JPG DSCF3067.JPG DSCF3070.JPG DSCF3071.JPG DSCF3072.JPG DSCF3075.JPG

2. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those are in excellent shape. Congrats and enjoy.

3. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ditto! AND the case :thumbsup:

4. Ballylongford

Ballylongford AK Subscriber Subscriber

A great story. Congratulations.

5. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very Very Nice, love that 500C Congrats on a nice find. AL

6. Noreaster

Thanks guys. Happy to be a member of the Fisher club.

7. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Another Large # 500c. Jeezzzz. Take a VERY VERY Close look at the 7591 with the "RED" getter. I'm not totally sure it's good. Don't run it until the output tubes have been tested. If that one is dead, or weak compared to the rest (reading 1/2 or more less than the others) replace it.

8. Noreaster

You're absolutely right about that red tube Larry...it's kaput. When I made the trade, the previous owner told me it had gone up in smoke and blown the fuse (not exactly sure when this happened). He then put in a new fuse and swapped a good 7591 from the X202C and when he turned the 500C back on everything "seemed" to be okay. I'm not going to do this out of fear of blowing a good tube. (I'm also going to have this restored right...i.e. by a competent pro, not by myself). Here's a shot I took of the underside. Does anything seem obviously amiss? Thanks.
    DSCF3078.JPG

9. Noreaster

Couple more of the underside...

DSCF3084.JPG DSCF3088.JPG

10. RS Steve

RS Steve Tube Junkie Subscriber

Very nice pick ups there, condition is outstanding, congrats!

11. JHS2RT

JHS2RT and Miss Sasha Subscriber

Love that 202

12. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm not seeing anything obviously burnt or broken, but it really would take an up-close detailed inspection to ensure none of the parts looks damaged or discolored or bulging. A visual inspection won't find everything and as such a technician would normally bring up the line voltage slowly while taking measurements and watching for smoke or sharp sounds.

13. kcline

kcline Tube Audio Collector Subscriber

Your 500-C looks untouched inside very nice. I also like your the 202-C very much would love to find one.

14. fred soop

fred soop Super Member

I noticed that as well and guessed that the tube has probably lost its vacuum.

15. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

From the wiki on "Getter" and that red color:

Those familiar with such devices can often make qualitative assessments as to the hardness or quality of the vacuum within by the appearance of the flash getter deposit, a shiny deposit indicating a good vacuum. As the getter is used, the deposit often becomes thin and translucent particularly at the edges. It can take on a brownish-red semi translucent appearance and this indicates poor seals or extensive use of the device at elevated temperatures. A white deposit, usually of barium oxide indicates total failure of the seal on the vacuum system. as depicted in the fluorescent display module depicted above.

16. Noreaster

This is kind of neat: the Fisher nameplate on the X202C is removable; underneath are two controls to regulate the phono 2 volume.

17. visman

visman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice trade - I think you did pretty good!

18. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

These are for matching the phono output to Aux or FM so when you switch back and forth you get the same or as close as possible volume, due to variances (gain) in your different cartridges. You should also have 2 pots on the back for Phono 1 and possibly Aux. If you have the owners manual it will instruct you as to how to set them all up.

19. Noreaster

The X202C passed the dim bulb test earlier today, so I gave it a quick tryout & was happy to hear just music...no hum, buzzing, hissing etc. at all. From what I've read on old threads here on AK, the 202C was a big step down from the 202B and doesn't seem to get much love. On the other hand, the 202C is pretty uncommon and despite its compact size, still weighs in at a hefty 30 pounds. I'll post some pictures of the underside for posterity tomorrow.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  20. Noreaster

Here's some pics of the underside of the X202C. Unlike the Fisher 500C, which appeared untouched, this one has had a visitor. As shown in the last photo, there is a replaced cap (the Mallory) and a small sticker on the chassis (presumably left there by the person who did the repair). The sticker reads 14 December 2000, Vestal, NY.

DSCF3090.JPG DSCF3092.JPG DSCF3093.JPG