Went to buy tubes and I got a flat!

Rob

I drove 2 hrs. to buy some tubes and I got a flat!

Well, as of today I now have enough N.I.B. 6080 dual power triodes to do some serious amplifier R&D. I just purchased 84 of the darlin's. Yipee!

:yippy:

Rob

Last edited:
So you don't need that old pair I have? Well they are not pricey and I have wondered how they would sound. Low gain with lots of clarity? They are good looking too!
Say Rob, I picked up some great bases for old 4 pronger triodes, you have the sockets for those 803s yet. These are twist locks.

In case any of you don't know what the JAN 6080 WC dual power triode looks like here it is. Nice serious looking octal power tube.

Rob

Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
So you don't need that old pair I have? Well they are not pricey and I have wondered how they would sound. Low gain with lots of clarity? They are good looking too!
Say Rob, I picked up some great bases for old 4 pronger triodes, you have the sockets for those 803s yet. These are twist locks.

Thatch,

Those are 805's (you were close) and yes I could use more sockets. Let me know what you want for them and how many you have. I can send you a picture if you need a positive ID. Speaking of I.D. that would be 1-7/8". Porcelain base with aluminum bayonette lock sleeve. 4 -pins. Rotate about 3/4" to lock.

Thanx,
Rob

Made by Johnson in Wasseca, Minn. 1/2" thick porcelain base, alum guide with pin slot and brass spring contacts for the tube pins. A 300B fits and I got them from a guy that told me 811s were in them. I bought six but don't think I need all of them and I saw more last time I was over there.
You write to Dennis about that 211 article? I was there this morning making a pair of interconnects and forgot to ask him.

tube sockets

Thatch,

Those are the small bayonette bases designed I believe for tubes like the 866 mercury rectifier and also fit the 3B28 helium filled rectifier. I don't need any of those right now. Thanx.

I went to the website and saw that I had already studied the amplifier shown but did not get around to sending an email request for the magazine article. I'm kinda distracted these daze. Too much on my plate, ...make that anode. :) I just don't have the cathode emission I used to to keep up. :(

Rob

So a tube base that fits a 300B, 45, 811 etc will not hold one of the big boy 805s? I probably will be heading out there in another week, tell me what a reasonable price is and I'll check for stock as I will be there anyway.
There are also lots of bath tub high voltage oil caps for coupling and stuff like that. And I would be happy to check for anything you might have a hard time getting like a 1,000 watt 100 ohm wire wound that looks like a piece of water pipe. Usefull things like that.

Back
Top Bottom