Went to the local weed shop & was blown away by the choices!

Thankfully tobacco growers in my state are converting to hemp. My next door neighbor moved here from California to head up the hemp program. That said I expect SC to be the last state to legalize marijuana. Too many here view it as a "gateway drug".
Yep, I was in Columbia, SC in the mid 70s and the local LEOs wanted to make an example of the college kids!
Gateway drug indeed ...

Last edited:
I agree french. But weed is easier to say than cannabis sativa when you were purchasing it in the earlier days. I myself like to call it Mary Jane. Here again, much easier to say than cannabis sativa. Plus the girl I was dating at the height of my smoking days was Mary Jane Logan, true story.

My dad once asked me if I ever huffed MaryJane! I wasn't even buzzed but I couldn't stop laughing at the phrase.

Massachusetts recently opened the first 2 recreational shops. The lines are crazy, 3 hours wait time. I drove by last Saturday and the line was around the block. There were a lot of out of state plates.

I just registered online for their preorder service. Basically you browse their online menu and make your selections. You get an email when it's ready and you can pick it up without waiting in a huge line.

I got a 100mg indica chocolate bar and it's pretty good for night time relaxing. I cut it into 20, 5mg pieces and that's a good dose for me.

I'm going this Saturday with my brother in law from NJ. I'm going to grab a 100 mg CBD chocolate bar. I want to try a low THC sativa (6.5%/11%CBD) called Sour Tsu x Cat Kush. I'm hoping that it gives a mellow high that's not too much. That strain is only for medical patients only, so I'm going to have to ask a friend with a card to get it for me.

I'll tell you, I'm excited to try out the different strains. Before legalizing all you could get would be whatever was around, and I don't always like the high. If the THC is just too high, I get anxiey. I like edibles because the dose is more controlled compared to smoking.

Here's a link to the dispensary if you want to look through their selection.
https://netacare.org/locations/neta-northampton/

Agreed, but understand that I last used this cannabis was 30 years ago, and back then it was much less noble in the publics eye than it has become today. As for disrespectful titles I always thought (even 40 years ago) that the term 'pot' was a little, if not disrespectful, at least a little derogatory. But I still call it that, old habits die hard!

My apologies to you for my 5am rant. Not intended at you; just venting about something that grates at me.
As an amateur musicologist, one who folows his mics into some wonderful places, I've exposed myself in-depth within a number of cultures that have historically used herb in different forms, from the Hash Eaters of the Persian mountain cultures, to Rastafarians, and, many decades recording the Grateful Dead, my exposure to it has been intense. In just about every instance, culturally, save for perhaps the GD fans, they've had a mystical magical attachment to it. But my time spent with the Ital Rastafarians and Reggae, well, I learned a whole new respect for it, and their reverance towards it.

My apologies to you for my 5am rant. Not intended at you; just venting about something that grates at me.
As an amateur musicologist, one who folows his mics into some wonderful places, I've exposed myself in-depth within a number of cultures that have historically used herb in different forms, from the Hash Eaters of the Persian mountain cultures, to Rastafarians, and, many decades recording the Grateful Dead, my exposure to it has been intense. In just about every instance, culturally, save for perhaps the GD fans, they've had a mystical magical attachment to it. But my time spent with the Ital Rastafarians and Reggae, well, I learned a whole new respect for it, and their reverance towards it.

Lambs Breath, irie. Lived in Kingston, Ja. in the '60s and remember tagging along with my older brothers when they scored from the local Rastaman.

My vape looks like a carbon fiber cigar, don’t know why they call it a pen ?? Has an open chamber to stuff grass-weed inside, then fits into the cigar pocket of my blazer like it belongs there.

I couldn't believe the variety in the shop! There must have been 20 or more choices on the list, graded by a bunch of unfamiliar factors I never had the slightest idea about.

Anyway I wasn't prepared to know what I wanted so had to ask, and got good recommendations including some medical marijuana for my wrist aches which has helped!
I've visited Colorado four times in the past two years and in my downtime, was reading up on how it all worked, including the legalities of it, how it is sold, and what forms it is sold in. Each store has its own "menu" of strains available, and many of those stores have a site you can visit to see ahead of time what they are selling. Much of the product is grown within the state, and each store has its own strains. (I've read these strains are far from the dime bags that we were familiar with in the past, where nobody had a clue as to what they were buying, or what was in the bag.)

Edibles are a big thing as many (like me, with asthma) can't deal with smoke.

The budtenders are trained to know the differences between their products (THC vs CBD, sativa vs. indica, etc.), make recommendations, and most of all to make customers feel comfortable.

We're legal here now as well--it'll probably take a year or two before we see recreational dealers open up. Haven't indulged yet myself, but I've had some chronic arthritis pain and am open to finding something to try for it. I did get my better half some lotion in Colorado that had a high concentration of CBD in it--it wasn't cheap, but she has noticed a difference over the "normal" lotion she used. (It is also 50-state legal.) I was going to smuggle home some gummy bears, but with my luck, I would have gotten busted in Nebraska...

Read up on those MJ sites! I know Leafly was mentioned. There are others, and they have plenty of good information.

I’ve been getting reacquainted with the sweet leaf for a few months now after taking a nearly 40 year break. I shop my favorite local dispensary websites and consider only the flower that has reviews on Leafly. So I know what I’m getting. High CBD flower isn’t as commercially important so pickins are poor. For my joint eating arthritis I like the Care By Design brand vape cartridges. I have 18:1, 8:1 and 1:1 (CBD:THC). So far I’ve gone through eights of God’s Gift, Black Lime Special Reserve, Golden Lemons and Blueberry Cookies without any paranoia.
My bud grinder looks like the Death Star and has a kief (loose trichromes) chamber. A couple of nights back I rolled a baby pea-sized kief ball for the bong. “Hello Houston we have lift off.” That was close to the Black Primo hash I remember from the 70’s before the Shah of Iran was ousted. I’m enjoying this retirement thing!

Jealous of you legal state types, not fair.

Luckily daughter lives in Washington, and I visit her as much as I can afford to. So nice to be treated well and not persecuted.

Yeah the persecution factor, up here we were spared most of that from the 70’s on if you kept it very small. Due to strong state constitution wording concerning right to privacy in your own home, 2 oz of weed was legal within your own home. This was after a 70s pot case went to the state Supreme Court and was overturned . At first it was still illegal to grow your own and it became known as the "miracle oz " because there was no legal way to get it to your home.

Later cases made it legal to grow for personal use, but it wasn't until a few years ago that it got on the state ballot and became legal to sell (individual towns can still keep it illegal but most if not all have embraced it as a tax income). Our community has a modest 5% tax and I dont believe they are taxing it at the cultivation end. They have embraced it enough to want it to succeed so not tax it to death. .yay!

Still the big one is the federal law, and I dont see that one changing until many more states get legalization laws on the books, but it is starting! And it seems that the federal government is taking a hands off approach to the states that have legalized it, but still , transportation is tricky , and forget about airports , border customs, waterways etc.

Proud that Alaska has got on board early, particularly due to having the highest alcoholism rate and suicide rate in the country. Maybe pot will help that, maybe not (i think it will)..

Back
Top Bottom