Westbrook piano

noisefreq

Got a free piano this week, from my wife's Aunt Pam.
Thanks, Aunt Pam!
It's a spinnet, sounds real good, and is a perfect fit for the basement studio.
I've been trying to do my best Terry Riley on it but I've got a looong way to go.
Can't wait to try different mics out on it! IMG_20170424_181618.jpg

Anyone ever try to tune a piano? (Yeah, I know I'm leaving myself open with that one!)

No joking, it's a can of worms for the layperson. Not just getting the intonation and spacing correct, but setting the string tension correctly, and balancing the tension across all the strings while compensating for soundboard compression, not easy without a system and practice. For the $100 to $150 it will likely cost to get a pro in there you will not regret it I assure you.

Good luck with the piano. Spinets are kind of tough to maintain due to limited access to the action parts, so hopefully you can find someone local who is willing to go a little above and beyond the regular gig to keep it in solid shape. Not that it guarantees anything, but check out ptg.org, it's the piano technicians guild. You may find a local tech listed there.

Looks like a console with action above the keys, that's easier to keep up, you should be good with a pro.

Hi PianotunerNJ,
I wondered the same thing. But after poking around I found most of the sound board (I guess that's what it's called) is accessable by disassembling four panels from the body.
So, I'm letting it acclimate in the basement for now and will start looking for a piano tuner in a few weeks.
I've noticed the lower third is louder than the rest of the board. I'm hoping a tuner can correct that.
But for now, I'm thrilled!
What a wonderful addition to the sound palette.
Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom