Westworld Season 2... :*(

Natasha Bell

I have just seen the new trailer for Westworld, season 2, and I cannot say that I am at all impressed. It just seems so much more of the same, and in many, all so many, ways "lame" season 1 finale. :eek::oops:

The simple facts are that:
(1) No sentient android (or group of androids) would be allowed to exist.
(2) If sentient androids were even suspected, Westworld would be immediately bombed to ashes (probably reduced to radioactive ash) without hesitation.
(3)The party, in the finale, where the Delos executives were slaughtered by Dolores was televised live (so the fact that there are sentient, and certainly violent, androids at Westworld is probably known).
(4)There would be "fail-safe" protocols for everything. In the end...
(4a)The androids would have received the global command to "shut down all motor functions"
(4b)If the above didn't work, the explosives in their spines would have been detonated destroying them.

As the writers wrote themselves in a corner, the one logical thing they should have done for season 2:
(1) opening credits.
(2) Dolores asking her boyfriend Teddy, while pointing to a black shape which rapidly increases in size: "What is that" ?
(3) A bright flash
(4) Screen goes dark
(5) "The End"

It didn't have to be that way. William should have found a way out of the park with Dolores in tow, prior to the scenes at the Confederate soldier's camp. Then return to infiltrate Westworld from the out outside freeing the other androids. Yet all that has happened, it seems, is that the writers are doing the idiot "1950s, B-movie" android / robot vs human war again. I had expected so much more of them, and I know many others had as well. I do not believe that Westworld Season 2 will be all that successful. Speaking just for myself, I am not sure if I will watch or not as I am not, considering the pretext of the finale, as interested anymore. :(

Had a lot of fun with the first season. Was disappointed at the end when Thandie's smart hooker character didn't finish her trek out to the real world; she was the smartest bot (not counting Jeffrey Wright's Bernard, who self-terminates). Not even sure where they want to go with Dolores.

Season 2: I don't have HBO since the end of Game of Thrones, and am not inclined to buy it for WW 2.

Westworld became quite tedious to me; no epic scope to justify the time spent and much time killing filler. The story could’ve been told in a 90 minute movie and better stories sure as Hell have been.

I'm withholding judgement until I get into season two, understanding the criticism.
Meanwhile, I'm into season two of Outlander on vid discs.

Westworld became quite tedious to me; no epic scope to justify the time spent and much time killing filler. The story could’ve been told in a 90 minute movie and better stories sure as Hell have been.
Tom, I think there was an "epic scope" actually. This was seen in episodes 1-7 (possibly 8). I am not sure if you know this, but there was an hiatus in which there was considerable re-writing. In fact, I have heard, that some of 8, most of 9, and all of 10 were totally re-written. If this is true or not, not sure, but it would explain the very jerky flow of the story in episodes 9 and 10 (especially 10). There is some footage that I saw on Youtube (which has since disappeared and I had been too stupid to download) which showed an alternate direction.

What I saw showed (it seems), William, after he slaughtered all of Logan's Confederate soldiers, finding Dolores, still alive. Logan (who's father has just bought controlling interest in WestWorld through Delos) makes William a deal. That he can take Dolores with him (into the "real" world) if he breaks it off with his (Logan's) sister. I have seen other scenes, that show William and Dolores on what appears to be a Greyhound style bus. I wish I would have downloaded the clips :(

Last edited:
I enjoyed WW S1 for what it was, but don't think it set the stage for S2 being more than what S1 already gave us. Humans is a much better AI story. YMMV

I enjoyed WW S1 for what it was, but don't think it set the stage for S2 being more than what S1 already gave us. Humans is a much better AI story. YMMV
I so agree that Humans is a far better AI story... especially if you consider the respective budgets.

Tedious, well used. Thinking back now the whole season more or less compresses down to one vague episode w/ full frontal nudity & ultraviolence thrown in.

Very much, they pulled a good one with the transition from the season one end cliffhanger to the opening of season two.
Recommended, well done, but coarse and violent in places as the story progresses.

My wife & gave up on it midway through season 2. Sexlander would have been a better title. Oh come on, again? was the running joke when we watched it.

As the writers wrote themselves in a corner, the one logical thing they should have done for season 2:
(1) opening credits.
(2) Dolores asking her boyfriend Teddy, while pointing to a black shape which rapidly increases in size: "What is that" ?
(3) A bright flash
(4) Screen goes dark
(5) "The End"

That would have been an epic mea culpa for HBO. They had a major shakeup in programming and Casey Bloys was brought in for new vision. Westworld was so offtrack and over budget that production was actually halted. Perhaps it was just too messed up to actually fix? I agree on the trailer, it does not seem to point to a new direction.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hbo-shake-up-casey-bloys-896346

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/21/...o-hbo-programming-chief-is-stepping-down.html

That would have been an epic mea culpa for HBO. They had a major shakeup in programming and Casey Bloys was brought in for new vision. Westworld was so offtrack and over budget that production was actually halted. Perhaps it was just too messed up to actually fix? I agree on the trailer, it does not seem to point to a new direction.l

I think this "new direction", brought by episode 9-10, was a foolish one, as it is devoid of basic logic and plot development. I can well imagine that the basic production got way out of hand and out of budget though.

I dunno what they had in mind with something headed toward a "dream rescue" plot scenario, but I'd hate to see a good premise squandered on a loss of narrative.

A main figure, possibly one killed off, is shown waking in bed in the opening of the reboot. The latter part of season one was all just a bad dream.
I'm not sure if I seen that. Bernard, it turns out, is an android. He is seen waking. Also, what happened to Logan? Here too, something fishy is happening is the trailers for season 2. I still am holding out some hope, but it appears what HBO will serve up is an ultra-violent (and ultra stale, 1950ish), "androids vs humans" war. This is so incredibly sad. So many people loved the finale for season 1, but I am one of the minority that thought it was lazy and worn.

One is to believe, according to Season 1 Episode 10, that
(1) William becomes the "Man in Black" and goes on these murdering rampages against the androids to supposedly awaken them. That he did all of this, because Dolores, his girlfriend, who was apparently sentient by episode 8, is reset.
(2) We are to believe that William, as shown in episode 10, finally finds the reset Dolores, but refuses to fight for her, and just lets her be.
(3) We are told in episode 10, that William, very shortly after the depicted events, becomes the CEO of Delos and the owner of Westworld. If this is correct then....
(3.1) William could have simply ordered Dolores reset to the configuration she had prior to Logan stabbing her (episode 9).
(3.2) William could have, if the reset was impossible, ordered her placed in an area that would not be so violent or damaging to her (say in a gift shop, or restaurant)
(3.3) If William was in love with Dolores, as he himself states on the train (and we have no reason to doubt him) he would have fought for her and done either 3.1 or 3.2.

------------------

If however, as you propose, the latter part of season 1 was just a bad dream, then HBO can kiss their award winning, and very lucrative Westworld franchise goodbye. I doubt many people would tune in to see a nightmare. The same if Season 2 is just a rehashing of Season 1 in "Samurai World".

5 shows in to S2; cannot believe it is the same show. Weaker actors get less screen time, better writing, and a story arc that seems (so far) to actually be going somewhere.

Whodathunkit?

What a rollercoaster with Ed Harris’ character. From antagonist to protagonist and back to antagonist.

Back
Top Bottom