WEYV - Music, magazines, TV, video in one

Interesting but meh. Their "all in one" shtick does nothing for me. And WEYV Units? I don't get it. :crazy:

All I see here is a contorted solution looking for a problem.

Ha! Hardly “looking for a problem”. It’s an extremely successful business model for software distribution, but it does work best for multiple users, like extended families.

https://altairhyperworks.com/About-Hyperworks

Yes, their magazine selection is pretty lame right now, but subscriptions to just a couple of them would be more expensive.

Pretty easy to see Bezos, for example, using a similar model to include Prime Music, Prime Video and WaPo plus magazines in a single app. Heck, if he threw in NYT, WaPo, The Atlantic and The New Yorker, I’d be a customer in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Ha! Hardly “looking for a problem”. It’s an extremely successful business model for software distribution, but it does work best for multiple users, like extended families.

Yes, their magazine selection is pretty lame right now, but subscriptions to just a couple of them would be more expensive.

Pretty easy to see Bezos, for example, using a similar model to include Prime Music, Prime Video and WaPo plus magazines in a single app. Heck, if he threw in NYT, WaPo, The Atlantic and The New Yorker, I’d be a customer in a heartbeat.
Have you checked your library for digital content? Mine has an absolute TON of magazines and newspapers.
And unlike WEYV, it's available in Canada.:)

My rag is not about the “business model” aspect of shared access (aside from a singular account where it falls flat) and distributing loss leader costs but with the shoehorned sectors (music & mags, media, etc.) implementation.

Is this really a problem? All in one place woohoos!? Heh…hate to break it WEYV but everything already fits in the palm of one’s hand and very few finger presses away. So, for me, the “all in one” app shtick is practically pointless. As for cost to benefit ratio; for me it’s nil and leaning negative right now.

The world is your oyster when it comes to playing tunes and multitasking “outside an app” when the mood suits. Pandora/Spotify/Apple Music, etc. and say, Flipboard for example, scratch any sort of that itch already. Multitasking is not a “task” with today’s “all in one devices”. Hence, I see no problem nor compelling reason (including their promise of future content) to use WEYV.
Psst.... Maybe Bezos hasn't been so inclined to roll up his entire content empire into one app is because doing so doesn't make any real end of the day sense for Amazon and their customers.

I totally get their fishing expedition to differentiate themselves from other streaming services and I wish them well…it just seems like a silly mashup reach to me. But hey, whada I know. It’s not my play money. Now, if and when some sky/pie contracts and cash cows work out and allow them to offset/distribute the cost of multiple premium content providers with their pay-walled deep dish content for $5 extra…erm ok, that’s at least nibble of consumer worthiness. Even then, I don’t see myself delving/squinting deep into a NYT or New Yorker digital rag essay on my phone/tab while playing music and/or fussing/monitoring credits. Flipboard, Libby, YouTube, yada, have that covered for me for free; with the same mileage of clicks. Perish the thought of a task bar thumb click outside the app! LOL

Again, I wish them well and time will tell.

**On the kudos plus side for WEYV, their above standard granular station control (% of artist/genre sliders) is most appealing. Very rdio-esque. Along with their overall library, I have yet to give that and this feature a good once over so I can’t comment on how that might weigh or sway. High hopes, algorithm tweaks are good.**

Yes, the granularity of station making is about the best I've seen. There's a section for banning artists, appears not to work just yet, but have been listening to some very nicely tuned stations which required almost no effort to build. Now, 99% of what I listen to falls well outside what most folks these days listen to, so the vast majority of prebuilt playlists from the various services, or the Pandora artist seeded stations, never quite satisfy. This allows me to mix in multiple artists, from specific decades, and percentages, even seed with specific albums.

Trust me, well worth a try, especially with a free 4-month trial, no credit card required.

So, huge Coltrane album released a couple days ago. It's available on every other service, no sign of it here. I've noticed a lot of other gaps, particularly the great labels like Fresh Sounds, Venus, etc are not here. Sad, as much of my online listening is from labels like these.

I'll keep exploring while the trial lasts, but doubt this can replace the big guys.

Back
Top Bottom