Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

I sold off some, err um, stuff :D....my SET system, but I was bored with it and felt it was time to move on. From what I've read, there were only 2000 pairs of the Denton's made, and not many made it Stateside as far as I'm aware. If you end up getting them, me, you, and one (maybe 2 other?) AKers will have them ;).

:D

Yeah...

I don't know. I try to be cautious with my money, but my gut is telling me to get 'em and get 'em fast. Not that many stateside, huh? Now you're making me nervous. :D

I'm stoked though. I have a good feeling about these. I love my W90's to death, but it's tough on the ears to listen to a big pair of speakers all the time in a 14' x 14' room (14' x 12', actually, I think), so I had been on the lookout for the right smaller speaker. I'll tell you what though. The W90's with classic-rock vinyl are so-good it's freaky. Was just playing Zep II.

:D

Yeah...

I don't know. I try to be cautious with my money, but my gut is telling me to get 'em and get 'em fast. Not that many stateside, huh? Now you're making me nervous. :D

I'm stoked though. I have a good feeling about these. I love my W90's to death, but it's tough on the ears to listen to a big pair of speakers all the time in a 14' x 14' room (14' x 12', actually, I think), so I had been on the lookout for the right smaller speaker. I'll tell you what though. The W90's with classic-rock vinyl are so-good it's freaky. Was just playing Zep II.

I wish vintage Wharfedale's came up for sale around these parts, they're hen's teeth around here :(. The last pair I was interested in were W20D's, but the tweets were smoked on them so I passed. They were in very good shape cosmetically, but I was having a hard time finding tweeters at the time.

I wish vintage Wharfedale's came up for sale around these parts, they're hen's teeth around here :(. The last pair I was interested in were W20D's, but the tweets were smoked on them so I passed. They were in very good shape cosmetically, but I was having a hard time finding tweeters at the time.

In Michigan? Really?? That's weird. Although, the distributor was in Long Island, so maybe there weren't that many dealers out west and midwest, but I doubt that was the issue. W90's don't come up every day though. W70's and W60's do though. Both sold like hotcakes as far as I know. The original W60 was VERY-popular. I have a PDF of an old Hi-Fi/Stereo Review issue that compared three professionally-chosen systems, and the one with the W60's and the Thorens table stomped all over the other two, one of those systems sporting Altecs about the same size (Altec's smaller speakers get picked on though... I heard that smaller speakers were Altec's weak spot, except for maybe the Bolero).

I got mine from an AK'er in Maine. He didn't even know at the time, but I was going to be heading to Maine at the end of that week for vacation, and he was gonna' be like 40-45 minutes away. It's like it was fate. I spent 3 weeks playing them in our lakefront cottage (FAMILY cottage... My grandparents bought it back in the '50's, and it's been in the family ever since... Rustic and old, but an absolutely-primo spot... Pictures in the non-audio photo album via my profile page). I picked up those speakers with a Mini Cooper. Had to make two trips. :D

Last edited:
I like Bookshelf speakers because done right - they image like crazy and sound damn fine. Plus, you don't need a huge room for them and are easier to store (so you can have more than one pair :D ). Your disease has started....

Yeah, I didn't realize, but I guess it has. I don't have a huge budget to work with, but I bought the $500 Grado RSII headphones at the beginning of the year (Got obsessed with a picture of them and a few reviews), plus I got my Fisher redone and got those W60D's, and last year I BOUGHT the Fisher AND put oil caps in the W90's. For me, that's a lot, so I guess I have been busy.

Those Dentons look sweet though. They're callin' me. I need a good modern speaker, and if I don't jump on this price, I fear I'll lose my chance to get a new pair. Plus, that whole "anniversary/limited edition" thing... Dammit, I want 'em. :D

So... Tell me more about those bad boys. :smoke:

I got 2 of these in MY CAR - you should've had a VW GTI.... :D

Altec Santiagos

IMG_2166a_zpsa0de7a08.jpg

How both fit in the back of my car :D The speakers are 30.125"H x 26.625" W x 18.5"D and weighed 110 lbs each :D
008a_zps4cbbb03e.jpg

MRH has them now....

Close... 32+" high by 28" wide by 13+" deep... 125lbs (with the sand)... I had to measure... One W90 fit OK, but two just wasn't a' hoppinin'...

I HAVE owned quite a few GTI's in my day though... They were great in the snow because you could yank the e-brake and make it do an instant 180.

Wow, those Altecs are 18+" deep? Damn...

Last edited:
Those Dentons look sweet though. They're callin' me. I need a good modern :D

So... Tell me more about those bad boys. :smoke:

Music Direct has a 30-day return policy, so if you don't like them you'll only be out the return shipping charges. Oh yeah, speaking of shipping, they ship free over $99. When you go to checkout, FedEx home delivery is free, and it's damn fast. I ordered mine last Friday and they were at my door Saturday early afternoon. That said, it's not too far from Chicago to Detroit. If you ordered today I'd think you'd have them Friday or Saturday considering the distance ;)

Last week at this time, while researching possible components for a new system, I stumbled across the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers at Music Direct. The mahogany finish looked great in the pictures, and the frequency response of 44Hz to 24KHz +/-3dB sounded like something I could live with. Mind you, my background is SET/high efficiency speakers that require large cabinets to make that sort of bass. I wasn't sure what to expect from a 5" woofer, so I bought them expecting the worst. At the same time, I bought a Music Hall a15.3 integrated amplifier that puts out 50WPC at 8 ohms, and 95W at 4, thinking it would be a nice fit for the 6 ohm Dentons. I needed something a little on the beefy side to power these, as I didn't have anything available that put out more than 15WPC. I do have a NAD C350 as well, but that's used in my living room with B&W DM302's.

Upon unboxing the Denton's, the first thing I noticed was they were wrapped in a white cloth sack with a draw string, and after removing the speakers from the box, another bag was enclosed with the manual and a pair of white gloves for handling. Impressive. Never would I have thought that speakers at this price point would be packaged that well. I'm used to new speakers being wrapped in a plastic bag and nothing more. The only thing that could've wowed me more during unboxing would've been the inclusion of a bottle of Ardmore single-malt, very impressive packaging. Once the speakers were removed from the cloth bags, I noticed the beauty of the red mahogany veneer. The pictures online don't do the finish any justice as it is quite exceptional, a very deep red and a grain one could get lost in. The tungsten-colored grills are also a very nice touch, they mesh very well with the red mahogany, and the speakers look better with them on (IMO of course).

Once the love affair that was unboxing was over with, I mounted them on a pair of 24" Dayton stands and hooked them up to the Music Hall integrated, connected with White Lightning Moonshine speaker cables and a Raspberry Pi as a source. On the Raspberry Pi, a Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC is used for getting the sound to the Music Hall, connected with a 1ft 3.5mm to RCA Monoprice cable. The speakers were positioned toed in about 3ft from the rear wall, with the side walls about 12ft each side, listening position is about 8ft back. My musical tastes vary, but generally consist of ambient electronica and rock from the 1960's through 1990's with a little outlaw country thrown in the mix. The tracks I used for referencing purposes are Shpongle - And The Day Turned To Night, Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up, and Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole.

Shpongle - And The Day Turned To Night
This is a very long track, at just a hair over 20 minutes in length. Simon Posford uses many layers in his compositions and goes all over the map many of his songs. Sometimes one will even wonder if it's the same song playing by the time it's finished. The large soundscapes portrayed by Shpongle were finely textured on my former SET system, and still were with the Denton/a15.3 combo. This particular track has a bass passage that kicks one in the chest, and these Denton's were able to replicate that better than my 12" EV coaxials. I could even feel it in my listening chair. Impressive for a 5" woofer. Raja Ram's flute was conveyed with a sense of airiness and great detail, and I was easily able to hear him inhaling between passages, something that I couldn't on my old system. The textures in all the layers of the song had a very intricate sound, and I could more readily pick out the layers that I previously thought were meshed together. There's more to this song than I thought. Very nice resolution indeed.

Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up
This has always been one of my favorites, even before I was an audiophile. Rage Against The Machine is my generation's Bob Dylan. Not from a musical standpoint, but a lyrical standpoint. Zack De La Rocha sounds even more pissed off, Tom Morello's guitar sounds crunchy, and Tim Commerford's style of playing bass (picked, slapped, and plucked) has a great sound to it. You could hear Commerford's thumb slapping strings and his fingers plucking them. Both him and Morello could be heard making their way up and down the fretboard. Previously, it was only Morello I could hear doing such a thing, but now I hear them both. This album is very well mastered, and the soundstage puts the listener front and center.

Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole
Jerry Cantrell is one of my favorite guitarists, and his talents and characteristic dissonant playing style really shine in this track. Many systems I've heard have a hard time conveying the harmonizing between Cantrell and Staley, which has lead many to think either one or the other was singing some passages, and not both as what's actually done. Cantrell's voice is sad, and Staley's angry and upset. Cantrell's guitar playing in this track conveys a sad and airy sound signature that can be hard to catch on some systems, but this one had the hair standing up on my back, very very good! Sean Kinney's drumming is very nice too, making his bass drum felt in my listening chair good, and giving me that all-familiar hit in the chest. The harmonizing vocals of Cantrell and Staley were very well conveyed by these speakers, even better than my EV's, and this was with a lower tier DAC to boot.

To sum it all up, these speakers are fantastic, especially for the price Music Direct is currently selling them for ($500). The biggest thing I've noticed, all of my music is now listenable, from the very well mastered Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits to the very poorly mastered Kill 'Em All by Metallica. My previous system was far too source-dependent, making poorly mastered recordings unlistenable for the most part. It was either feast or famine with that system, but now I can sit back in my chair knowing I won't be getting any fatigue or surprises making me duck for cover. The soundstage is very wide and deep, but not as large as it was with my EV's, but the sweet spot is much bigger. These sound larger than their small size would dictate, and definitely do go deeper than the 12TRXB's they replaced. I had no idea a 5" woofer could convey that depth of bass. Not only does the bass dig deep, but it's very tuneful as well. The cabinets are very well constructed and make a nice "thud" when you knock on them, no resonances whatsoever. I can't really say I fault anything in these because they are a completely different animal than what I'm used to. There aren't any other speakers I've owned that I can directly compare to, so the only thing I can really say is to judge with your own ears. I'm a very satisfied customer, and the transition from SET/HE to a modern integrated/monitors wasn't what I expected. In the beginning, I was expecting disappointment, but now that I've spent time with the new setup, I will say it was a very pleasant transition. Now I know what all the hubub about modern audio is, and will say I favor it more than vintage at this time. Soon, I will have a new DAC (undetermined model), and expect the sound to get better once it's in my system. These Denton's are a steal at the $500 price on Music Direct, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them at their $1000 MSRP. Great job Wharfedale, you have a hit on your hands.

Well done. The gift here is that you have ALL of your music back.

Very good review and thanks for posting this thread. :thmbsp:

Curious as to how much of a step up these would be over the Diamond 10.1? :scratch2:

Initially, I was going to get the Diamond 10.1, then that mahogany veneer caught my attention like a cat to a laser pointer. The veneer is real wood, not wood-colored vinyl laminate. I combed through as many reviews as I could find as well as user impressions from the various UK hifi forums. I think it was money well spent.

Music Direct has a 30-day return policy, so if you don't like them you'll only be out the return shipping charges. Oh yeah, speaking of shipping, they ship free over $99. When you go to checkout, FedEx home delivery is free, and it's damn fast. I ordered mine last Friday and they were at my door Saturday early afternoon. That said, it's not too far from Chicago to Detroit. If you ordered today I'd think you'd have them Friday or Saturday considering the distance ;)

REALLY??? These qualify for the freebie shipping? That is AWESOME. That will help big-time. I was worried about how much extra that would be.

They only come in one finish, right? I don't want to order them and wind up with a black or wine red/burgundy pair, so I thought I'd ask.

Early this morning, I went on YouTube and saw this video, and for a minute or two, I was having second thoughts. Take a look. Don't know if it's the camera mic, the amp/preamp, or simply the huge room, but yick, man. Must be a bright preamp he's got. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=F_yHfu290FM

Last edited:
Early this morning, I went on YouTube and saw this video, and for a minute or two, I was having second thoughts. Take a look. Don't know if it's the camera mic, the amp/preamp, or simply the huge room, but yick, man. Must be a bright preamp he's got. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=F_yHfu290FM

I'll say this. My listening room is my basement, and while it is finished, it's a long ways from being even remotely ideal. I have paneling on the walls, a few large area rugs, and drywall on the ceiling. This room is notoriously reflective, especially in the upper midrange frequencies, and I don't get anything in the way of brightness. When my EV's hit the right note, coupled with the room, it could be painful at times. I would say on that Youtube vid, it's probably the equipment used to record the video. These things have no grain whatsoever, they're pretty damn smooth :yes: I can listen to all of my music now, good masterings, poor masterings, all of it. Before I owned these, there was lots of music I loved that I stayed away from simply because that old system was far too source dependent.

Well done. The gift here is that you have ALL of your music back.

Yeah, I'm with you on that, Art. I don't like those 'warts and all" speakers. What good is more detail at the expense of musicality? I like the kind of speaker you can listen to for hours on end without your ears getting fatigued, plus I also like speakers that do just to ALL kinds of music, even the mundane stuff as well as the not-so-well-recorded.

I'll say this. My listening room is my basement, and while it is finished, it's a long ways from being even remotely ideal. I have paneling on the walls, a few large area rugs, and drywall on the ceiling. This room is notoriously reflective, especially in the upper midrange frequencies, and I don't get anything in the way of brightness. When my EV's hit the right note, coupled with the room, it could be painful at times. I would say on that Youtube vid, it's probably the equipment used to record the video. These things have no grain whatsoever, they're pretty damn smooth :yes: I can listen to all of my music now, good masterings, poor masterings, all of it. Before I owned these, there was lots of music I loved that I stayed away from simply because that old system was far too source dependent.

Thanks for reelin' me back in, buddy... :D

Sometimes you can get both. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Yup... Sounds like that's the case here too.

I can't wait to see that limited edition packaging, that bag and all, or whatever it was.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm with you on that, Art. I don't like those 'warts and all" speakers. What good is more detail at the expense of musicality? I like the kind of speaker you can listen to for hours on end without your ears getting fatigued, plus I also like speakers that do just to ALL kinds of music, even the mundane stuff as well as the not-so-well-recorded.

That's exactly why I grew bored of my EV's. They were the "warts and all" speakers. I listened to the Denton's for 7 hours straight this past Saturday. It's been a very long time since I've done such a thing. With the EV's, my ears would start feeling it after an hour or two at higher volumes. These Denton's are most definitely an all-day speaker.

I know - My office is just that. I have a room I would like to setup as a dedicated audio room but right now the cash is not there.

Same here brother, same here. I'll get around to it one of these days. The KMart around the corner from me is closing it's doors, and I've thought about buying a heavy curtain to go behind the speakers and another for behind the couch. After that, I was going to head to Foam Factory and buy a couple of bass traps and pyramid foam to address the other spots. Should sound much better then :)

That's exactly why I grew bored of my EV's. They were the "warts and all" speakers. I listened to the Denton's for 7 hours straight this past Saturday. It's been a very long time since I've done such a thing. With the EV's, my ears would start feeling it after an hour or two at higher volumes. These Denton's are most definitely an all-day speaker.

Yup. That's exactly how the old Wharfies are. My W90's especially. They get you rifling through your music collection, trying stuff you haven't played in a dog's age (When I started playing guilty pleasure tunes from artists like Al Stewart and Rickie Lee Jones, I knew I was onto something).

I know - My office is just that. I have a room I would like to setup as a dedicated audio room but right now the cash is not there.

It is all about the music, isn't it? Good for you! :thmbsp:

My room was already pretty-dead, but then I made the mistake of moving a room-sized rug in there, and now it sounds like a wannabee local band's factory practice space. You know, with moving blankets and leftover insulation on the walls, and a deader than dead acoustic atmosphere? I hate it, but at least I dealt with reflections. The only real issue is the complete lack of liveliness.

Back
Top Bottom