Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

Since i had the Dentons for a short while and probably my patience was not what it should have been at the time and i think the Onkyo a-9010 wasnt up to the task, i had to get my Wharfedale Kevlar inner era back in focus, so here goes.

I am probably the 1st Wharfedale Diamond 8 series owner in North America, Kevlar has very organic properties it seems to have soul atleast the Wharfedale Kevlar.....my Diamond 8.1's got better and better well after 500 hours and even better after I had owned them after 4 years, at which point they became my measuring stick for budget mid-range purity and tone..and sometimes embarrassing speakers that costs 1000's and trust me there has been over 400 pairs of speakers that have been thru my doors.

The Diamond 8.1 remains, all the others are gone those on the Ecoustics forums know my praise for them, of course I have my regrets for speakers I got rid of like the Totem Arros, AV123 Xstatics, ACI Sappire 3, Odyessey Epiphany, Epos M12.2, Music Hall Marimbra, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Elac Debut b5 and Unifi ub5 ,all my Wharfedale Diamond 8 & 9 series and Evo & Evo2 series...now I'm adding the Denton to the regret list.

My point is the Wharfedale Kevlar is magical in it's maturity process, most of those other speakers on my regret list showed most of their stuff early on. I wanted to get back around to the Denton, but I may not with the now release of the Diamond 11.1 & 11.2 I really feel Wharfedale has pushed the boundaries of budget speaker technology with the 11 series, and of course their is the Reva 2 so I may not make it back to the Denton....my ultimate yearly goal at the end of the year is the Proac Tablette 10...so we'll see.... hopefully I can...

I've listened to Denton 2 85th for a period of time, I feel the sound a bit harsh to my ears, although it can be described as clear crisp sound, but it's not as special as Denton 1 80th, so I think the same may hold for the other Diamond series either old or new, it seem every brand only has one or two models worth a keep...kinda disappoint with the new Denton 2, they should follow back exactly the same design but instead overcome the woofer dynamic problem, then it will be perfect

It was a speaker designed to sound like a 70's speaker as a specific price point (which compared to the Yamaha NS-5000's (the Yammys are going for 20K or more now) is inexpensive). There is nothing wrong with them, I have had a pair in my room, just not my cup o' tea. I have had the Diamond 8.2's and 10'2's and the Dentons were a MUCH better designed and produced speaker. I do not have the Diamonds any more as they were just mediocre.

Oh you mean you got a pair of Denton 2 85th? Your comments on point for the word 'mediocre', everybody need to take note, only 1 or 2 models remain as classic for each brand, either expensive or cheap lol, and Denton 1 definitely cheap to enjoy great joy lol

In fact now my music sounds right with both tone controls flat/center. With those brass jumpers I needed to boost the treble a bit.

I once a friend show me the jumper effect and usage, I feel even though some vocal music sounded more trnasparent, but trumphet become very harsh, so it's really up to you whehter you want that "glare" in all of your music collection, personally I just use back original jumper plate, it's still original setting better for me

I once a friend show me the jumper effect and usage, I feel even though some vocal music sounded more trnasparent, but trumphet become very harsh, so it's really up to you whehter you want that "glare" in all of your music collection, personally I just use back original jumper plate, it's still original setting better for me

I can see how some people might like the effect of the brass jumpers especially with certain types of music. I listen to alot of 70's hard rock and Metal. So the regular wire and it's effects are more to my suiting.

I have been using Kimber 4TC cable from my Fisher X-100 to the Dentons, and managed to find a set of (used) jumpers made with the same cable. It's been a while, but I recall that the improvement over the plates was quite apparent.

I get no harshness whatsoever with my tube amp. It sounds lush, open, fulsome, quick and detailed.

Last edited:
I have been using Kimber 4TC cable from my Fisher X-100 to the Dentons, and managed to find a set of (used) jumpers made with the same cable. It's been a while, but I recall that the improvement over the plates was quite apparent.

I get no harshness whatsoever with my tube amp. It sounds lush, open, fulsome, quick and detailed.

What tube you used? Is it a preamp?

It's taken me longer than expected but I've almost put enough $$$ aside to finally take my Kenwood KW-60 tube receiver to Mike Urban who you recommended to me. I'm very curious to see how it will sound with the Dentons. That is if I can get it working properly within my budget.

I have read differing opinions of this rare tube receiver from bad to good, not sure what to expect.

Anyway I think the Dentons are a wonderful match with my Pioneer SX-880.

I have been running my Denton’s with a NAD 356 integrated for over a year now, and while I enjoy the pairing at moderate and high volumes, at low volume I am undeetwhelmed compared to the same amp with Paradigms titans and atoms. I am curious, has anyone bi-amped their Denton’s? I am searching AK for an example of this now, I could always add a new 268 amp from NAD and drove the Denton’s with both amps....

First, let me say this is an awesome thread in every sense of the word so please excuse me if I ask questions previously answered; I have only read about a quarter of this beast.

Second, I've been putting together a modest two channel system that includes a U-Turn Orbit with Ortofon Blue, a PS Audio Sprout100 50w@8ohm/100w@4ohm, a Teac 360 cassette deck, my Macbook Pro, and a pair of Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones. My issue is speakers. I have winnowed it down to four pair. The Dentons, the LS50s, the Focal 706Vs, and the Zu Dirty Weekends. In spite of loving everything I've read about the Zu's, I think I want a pair of bookshelf speakers so the Zus are likely out of the running. Without nearby dealers, I will be auditioning these by purchasing them from online shops, like Music Direct, with generous return policies. That said, I wouldn't mind getting it right in one if possible. It seems to me that the LS50s are very revealing for better and worse depending on a number of factors and that the Focal 706Vs are largely similar but not quite as good (though at roughly half the price they are a great value). The Dentons seem warm yet revealing and the consensus here appears to be that they engage the listener and encourage long listening sessions. These are the reported qualities that I valued so highly in the Zu Dirty Weekends (save perhaps their aggressiveness). Now that I've bored you all to tears with my pedantry and novice logic, my ultimate query is this: do any of you fine Denton owners think the PSAudio Sprout100 (https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier/#tab-specs) can properly drive the Dentons to the level needed to achieve that combination of warmth and clarity they are purported to have when truly broken in? Also, the one real criticism I've read of the Dentons in a couple of reviews is that they aren't very precise rhythmically and/or that they falter when the rhythm really picks up. Do you find that to be a fair or unfair claim? Lastly, one can bi-wire with the Sprout100. have any of you done this and, if so, to what effect?

Thanks all for just taking the time to read this. Doubly so to anyone who responds. Cheers!

First, let me say this is an awesome thread in every sense of the word so please excuse me if I ask questions previously answered; I have only read about a quarter of this beast.

Second, I've been putting together a modest two channel system that includes a U-Turn Orbit with Ortofon Blue, ...

Thanks all for just taking the time to read this. Doubly so to anyone who responds. Cheers!

The Denton catch almost every rhythm perfectly, that's what a great musical speakers supposed to be, even so it's powerful enough to be used as mini bomb theater speakers, for amp you just need to use clean and sufficient power amp, avoid any like Marantz or whatever music tweaks amp, this speakers does not need to. everything is almost musically tweaks, only weakness I know could be extreme dynamic for some rare tracks, even so drum music like Ondekoza sound enough powerful!!!

IMG-20181030-183843-01.jpg

Sharing my Denton, lovely wood grain and tungsten cloth grill! :beerchug:

IMG-20181030-183843-01.jpg

Sharing my Denton, lovely wood grain and tungsten cloth grill! :beerchug:

Nice! I would prefer the walnut tone instead, if they can come out with more strict and standard wood veneer finish, and enhance existing bass, that would be perfect.

I have been remodeling the kitchen, and with that I sort of stumbled into a very minor whole house remodel, the wife and i have been focusing on down sizing. I saw the 80th Wharfedale Dentons on sale today at Music Direct ($399/pair) so I just ordered a pair hoping I will enjoy them, and the wife will love the look and size of them in the living room versus the larger RSL speaks I currently have been running. I have been MIA lately, -hope everyone is doing well for the holidays. Craig

Back
Top Bottom